Yellow Waterproof Eq800 Headphones & Tips For Ocean Use

I bought these headphones and used them in the ocean last week in the Kauai (up to my neck).The dealer is always busy or on a trip so I thought I'd throw this out there to get some feedback. I had a few instances where the audio cut out completely and I jiggled the cord and it came back. My question is, should the end of the headphone cord have an o-ring like a lot of my scuba equipment does? The EQ800 still seems to work fine so I don't believe any water made it's way inside detector.

As to my success ..well let's just say I understand why my dealer goes to Cancun for his jewelry hunts and not where I went where the waves are 3,4,5 feet. I quickly looked for beaches with "breakwaters" that you can safely take children to and I did find lots of coins and 1 silver diamond ring..but man, it was still 'surgey' as heck and not easy to lift one foot up to push scoop into sand while keeping your balance! Anyone have any experience in using the EQ in the ocean? I saw online sand scoops with a "cross" handle (like on a small shovel) where when you scoop you can keep the scoop from twisting sideways...thoughts..usage?The scoop handle would have to be a "breakdown" type to be able to pack for air travel. The scoop I took has a straight shaft that easily turns sideways when scooping.

• Like 1

Cords on headphones seem to be the weak point.  I too use the Minelab WP phones on my NOX and have had issues with the cord.  I recommend everyone going on a trip to tape a roll of duct tape and some zip ties.  I know this does not fix the issue, but at least you can get through the trip.  I've yet to try any other "aftermarket" headphones that are 100% waterproof yet so if anyone else has used them and how they like?

After returning from trip contact Minelab to get the headphones replaced.

I don't use a handles scoop so hopefully others chime in.

Yes the waves can cause problems when trying to retrieve targets.

Tony Eisenhower’s phones work well in the water.  I do a couple of things…. I put a nylon sticker over the exterior speaker….. and a bit of Teflon tape on the threads of the headphone connector.   Occasionally take the box off the shaft and check for cracks where those screws connect.  My friend had 2 boxes break off from the torque in the water.  When I pulled mine to return it for dead battery it to had cracks.

I have a pair of MineLab yellow WP headphones for my SDC 2300. They are terrible. The volume is way too low. Very disappointing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By UT Dave
      I'd like to increase my knowledge and skill in tuning my Nox 800 for specific conditions.
      Those of you who tune your machines off the factory defaults, please share what you have!  Not what your settings are, but how you arrive at those settings.
      For instance, is there a relationship between different settings, such, that a preferred order of operations is suggested for optimal results?  I noise cancel, then ground grab, then adjust sensitivity.  FE2, Recovery, Threshold, is there a best practice for the order in which they are set?
      How do you know when you should increase or decrease FE2 or Recovery?  What factors or indicators go into that decision?
      I've arrived at my current default beginning state, by trying to make things first "worse" in my test garden.  By adjusting each setting individually up and down though the full range of adjustment, noting whether signal got better or worse at each step, to get what I considered the best signal on a deep silver coin.  But doing so in a controlled situation with a known target like that is one thing, knowing how to read variable conditions and how to tune accordingly is quite another.
      How do you make your tuning decisions in the field?  What are the settings you most frequently find need adjusted to accommodate search conditions?
      - Dave
    • By Veisal
      Here are some improvements to the ergonomics of the minelab equinox 600/800 made with a 3D printer 

• By Momokahn
      Just like the college sports transfer portal, I too have decided to change my mind.😁  I was set on buying the new NM Legend.  Instead I visited a local MD dealer today and had a chance to test drive the dealers Equinox 800. The Equinox 800 checked every box and then some.  It will get me where I want to be in metal detecting.  The dealer was pretty impressed on how I was able to navigate through the controllers menus and settings. It is on order and will be here next week.  Now for the "goodies" getting thrown in for free.  Both editions of Andy Sabisch's Handbooks on the Equinox 600/800, a Minelab Hat (I love hats), and any magazine, current or past editions that are in stock.  And there are a lot in stock.  Excited is an understatement.
    • By CPT_GhostLight
      I was experimenting with Dan(MN)'s mod of mounting the WM-08 to a pair of good quality wired headphones, which works really well. I read the Equinox manual section about the WM 08 and saw that its latency is only 17ms whereas Low Latency Bluetooth is 40ms and normal Bluetooth is up to 100ms.
      I have been using LL Bluetooth ear buds all Summer and Fall so I'm used to the way they respond, but when I tested my new WM 08 rig, I couldn't really tell any difference in response time/latency. I guess I was expecting there to be a noticible difference.
      So my questions are, for those who use the WM 08 module, can you tell a difference as opposed to Bluetooth? Do you prefer to use the WM 08 setup and why?
    • By CPT_GhostLight
      So I did a little more experimenting with the WM08 and various wired headphones I have around the house and I am noticing a little difference in latency VS Bluetooth, specially with pinpointing as suggested in responses to my previously posted WM08 question. I also noticed quite a difference in sound of different headphones when used with the WM08 too. I've been looking into some of your suggested headphones, such as Gray Ghost, Sunray Gold, Killer Bee, etc., as well as looking at older posts regarding headphones for use with the Equinox.
      This leads me to ask a question to those of you who prefer wired phones with your Nox. What full over-the-ear wired headphones do you prefer with your Equinox and why? TIA for your help.

• By Dan(NM)
      I had a very productive day hunting a city park in a nearby town. Took me 7 1/2 hours to round up all these keepers. The v nickel is the fifth one I've taken out of this park in the last 2 weeks. Ended up with a nickel trifecta to boot.  I think I'm going to get the 5x10 coil due to the amount of iron and debris in the places that are producing the coins. I did pretty good by going nice and slow and digging all iffy tones. I was very surprised to see the Canadian quarter come out, that's the second one I've found this year.
      Nox 800
      Park 1
      Recovery 3
      Iron Bias 0
      Sens 23
      Manual GB 30
      2 Tones
      Tone break at 10
      No Disc-wide open