Xp Orx Coil Or Battery Problem?

oldcoinhunter

Just got a XP ORX with the 9x5 HF coil and the coil battery won't charge. The control battery charged up fine but when i try to charge the coil battery the light on the coil blinks every three seconds like it is charged when it is only 30 % charged. The light never stayed on continually like it says in the manual when i first hooked it up and yes i have it hooked up the right way. Thanks, Jim

• Like 1

I had the same thing happen. I emailed the dealer I got it from. Then I got an email from the distributor. I sent my coil and battery in and they sent me another coil and battery and then everything worked fine.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oldcoinhunter said:

Just got a XP ORX with the 9x5 HF coil and the coil battery won't charge. The control battery charged up fine but when i try to charge the coil battery the light on the coil blinks every three seconds like it is charged when it is only 30 % charged. The light never stayed on continually like it says in the manual when i first hooked it up and yes i have it hooked up the right way. Thanks, Jim

First, does the coil need to be charged? Look on the ORX Remote Control screen for the coil icon with the battery level next to it.

If the light on the coil never stayed on continuously, then either you don't have the butterfly charging clip total pressed down on the coil to make a good connection, the contacts on the coil and butterfly charging clip need to be cleaned (use a pencil eraser or some quick drying electrical component spray) OR there is a problem with the coil, coil battery connection in the lower shaft, butterfly charger, charging cable, charging block or something else.

• Like 3

Jim, the butterfly clip is really hard to fully “seat” sometimes. I think I have it totally connected with the charging terminals on the coil when I really don’t. It has to go even 1/32” further down sometimes. If you never see a solid light on the coil that is the first thing I would check. 

• Like 2

Did the detector work when turned on? Yes, when you connect the charger clip to the coil make sure the light on the coil is on all the time. Then you know it's charging.

Make sure you have the cable on the clip is facing to the middle of the coil.

I still have trouble connecting that butterfly clip after many years with the Deus/ORX. There are aftermarket butterfly clips that are reportedly easier to connect. 

Glad it worked finally. 

Jeff