Who Finds The Most Gold - Beach Hunters Or Prospectors?

There's just too many variables in nuggets vs. jewelry hunting to make any firm conclusions. I used to belong to SPMA/GPAA locally, but, found that the claims within a days drive just didn't have enough gold in them to even pay for my gasoline to get there and back. I was finding WAY more gold and other precious metal/jewelry at my local beaches just a few minutes away. A lot has to do with luck in not only getting the loop over precious metal, but, a NICE piece. I've had my share of great luck in that respect. You're not going to find a nugget worth 10X their value in gold, whereas I've found name brand jewelry that was worth several hundred times their metal value. A few finds come to mind.....a couple of rings had a retail value of 32K when you add the value of the rocks mounted in them. I found one 22K gold bracelet that weighed over 1.25 ounces and had 232 diamonds in it. I found a perfect condition Rolex that sells for $7500. Now granted, those aren't finds you get every day, but, neither are nuggets worth those amounts. To me it's just a matter of costs to find these things. If I have to drive hours to a decent gold area to many find a few flakes, or drive a few minutes to a swimming beach, where I have a good shot at jewelry, or, at least find gas money, it's a no-brainer to me. Now, if you're going to go camping and just want a new adventure, sure, I'm in for chasing some nuggets, but, unless I manage to get permission in a really good area, I still think the beach makes more economic sense. 

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, cudamark said:

You're not going to find a nugget worth 10X their value in gold

Prime specimen gold can go for $7000 - $9000 an ounce or more. Granted, that's not ten times market value, but it's not bad either. In general though I agree that for the average person, jewelry makes more sense. Gold prospecting is a profession in itself, with metal detectors simply being one of many tools. Anyone can buy a nugget detector, but that in no way means they will be successful at nugget detecting. It's probably the one area of detecting where the smallest percentage of detectorists is making the largest percentage of finds.

• Like 7

Steve....  Maybe follow this up if you have any ideas on my comments?  

The most gold I've ever seen was up in Alaska.  spent a season cutting timber on Chicagoff Is. and when done spent about 1.5 months in Juneau dickin around downtown/working on the "spam can" building downtown.  I've never seen so much gold hanging around necks, on ears, on wrists, and fingers as I'd seen on local Alaskans.  They LOVE their gold and like to proudly flaunt their gold bling.  Not sure if or how a person could capitalize on this as relatively low population #'s and weather so rainy/cold that beaches probably wouldn't produce much bling....  I'd just about bet though that per capita Alaskans are the bling kings......

• Like 1

I did very well at Alaska fresh water swimming holes. Unfortunately, saltwater swimming is non-existent up north, and the fresh water locations can be counted on both hands, and are very small areas. They have long since been cleaned of the majority of the accumulated jewelry, though finds are still made of course. I found the rings in this photo on one of my last Alaska lake outings….

silver-gold-coins-rings-herschbach-minelab-ctx-3030.jpg

• Like 9

On 9/28/2021 at 10:11 AM, nvchris said:

The prospect of a major discovery?

Not happing @ the beach. 

Depends on what you call a major discovery?  Is a 1 ounce nugget a major discovery?  Maybe your 1st gold nugget?  How about your 1st gold band or is a $5K gold ring considered a major discovery.  Each of of have our definition of a major discovery.  For me "a major discovery" would be something of value $5K or more.  I can tell you for a fact, I have friends who feel anything of $1000 or more is a major discovery. 

Who thinks this 14K gold medallion with diamonds is a major discover and who feels it is not?  No right or wrong answer, but I know salty swingers (like you and I) will have different perspectives than most around us.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Depends on what you call a major discovery?  Is a 1 ounce nugget a major discovery?  Maybe your 1st gold nugget?  How about your 1st gold band or is a $5K gold ring considered a major discovery.  Each of of have our definition of a major discovery.  For me "a major discovery" would be something of value $5K or more.  I can tell you for a fact, I have friends who feel anything of $1000 or more is a major discovery. 

Who thinks this 14K gold medallion with diamonds is a major discover and who feels it is not?  No right or wrong answer, but I know salty swingers (like you and I) will have different perspectives than most around us.

There is no doubt finds can be made beach detecting that are extremely valuable, but unfortunately they are in the same class as one pound plus gold nuggets. Which I know you have also found Gerry! Still, any nugget hunters who doubt what a good beach hunter at good locations can find, should visit Gary Drayton's website.

Gary’s most famous find is the magnificent Spanish 1715 fleet emerald treasure ring that he found on the beach opposite the wreck site of the Spanish galleon “Nuestra senora de las nieves.” The ship wrecked on July 31st 1715 during the hurricane that destroyed the Spanish treasure fleet. The treasure ring is made from 22.5 karat Inca gold and set with nine near flawless Colombian emeralds, and is worth an estimated $500,000.00.

Spanish treasure ring found beach metal detecting by Gary Drayton

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 2

I detected the beach with Gary Drayton before he became famous on Oak Island.  A funny guy he is.  His collection of rings off beaches is certainly 1 pound nugget category.   Yes that ring qualifies as "Major major Discover".

• Like 1