Who Finds The Most Gold - Beach Hunters Or Prospectors?

Very good question -  jewelry gold vs natural gold.

I'm more fortune than most since I enjoy both styles of detecting.  Being a dealer (tax write off for educational purposes) allows me the opportunity to take crazy vacations to warm water climates during the winter months of Idaho (my home state) and chase gold jewelry.

As a Western states Gold Belt region detectorist, the majority of my gold recovered is natural Au and all with a metal detector.  No panning, sluicing, dredging...just swinging a detector and YES my recovery is usually 3 to 5X the weight of gold jewelry.

Now, I have also been fortunate enough to be at a great producing beach immediately after a storm. I must say, those very rare occurrences can be extremely rewarding as well.  A buddy and I did a week hunt one winter and came back with over 7 oz of gold and platinum.  We don't even count the sterling stuff, but it does look nice.

I feel if you are after gold of any kind, then look around and take advantage of your location.  If you don't live close to natural gold bearing areas we have out West, then gold jewelry should be your focus.  Get a good quality VLF detector with great discriminator that has selectable notch discrimination and preferred adjustable tone ID, then learn it, study it, test it and learn it more.

Yes there is still plenty to find, but Steve did bring up a great point.  My recently trips down south has me finding more Tungsten and Steel than Gold.  This is just the change of times and not looking good for future beach hunts..but I need a tax write off anyway, so you know I'll go.

20160428_171934.png.jpg

20160428_172110.png.jpg

20160428_074654_resized.jpg

R4.jpg

Plat.jpg

Ring0.jpg

• Like 5

Too many variables and terms in the question - prospector = someone looking for a place to mine 😉

Many good replies , where a person is & goes .

So we have to assume [ always trouble ] only metal detecting - not mining - that starts doing volume / equipment , so a more involved question limited to DETECTING either natural gold or manmade ?

No way to compare , in a real sense - to totalling separate things with the only thing in common is metal detector .

Hell , I know of someone that refines mostly stuff his wife gets at garage sales , dollar stores and has trained her how to evaluate jewelry , silverware etc. and scrap from jewelers between the 2 of them & working with jewelers , he has stated $30,000  a month .

The last couple of yrs. + doing electronics repair , I started recovering valuable metals from electronics , limiting that to just gold & silver [ I also get cash from copper , aluminum , stainless ect. ] is more than general detecting , but that is because of most of the time just in the metro area of St. Paul & Minneapolis , no natural gold to bother looking for - glacial deposits , most of the beaches have replaced sand with grass - bummer , and less & less gold in electronics .

But still prospecting all of the above - trying to get away from FIAT MONEY 😉

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Spanish treasure ring found beach metal detecting by Gary Drayton

Wow that`s a jewelry "Hand of Faith" find.

• Like 4

I find more on the beach now.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Dutchman4
      I searched the forums and was not able to find an answer to this question:
      So when I find a used Minelab SDC 2300 how do I go about verifying that it is authentic when I go to inspect it with the seller?
      I looked on the minelab website and it appears there are several methods that dont require you to take it to a dealer but it is not clear to me how it is done.
      Is there a hologram viewer supplied with a new unit and then you enter the sn# plus the hidden code into minelab online verification app?
    • By mcjtom
      Hello,
      I’m not sure where to post it: would anybody know a good documentary on metal detecting/treasure hunting (technology, applications, history) of interest to upper high school students?
      Cheers!
    • By trunkmonkey
      Is the Green Aftermarket Coil Tab Protector used "to replace" the teardrop washers?  
      In other words, if the coil of my machine is equipped with the "Green Aftermarket Coil Tab Protector," then there is No Need To Be Concerned About the fact that the teardrop washers can not be used in the set up; is that correct?
      Is the following a true statement:
      "The teardrop washers and the fact that they do not fit in place any where in conjunction with an installed "Green Aftermarket Coil Tab Protector" is of no consequence." 
      I sure hope so because I can see absolutely no possible way that the teardrop washers can be used in conjunction with the 
      "Green Aftermarket Coil Tab Protector"
      Best Regards,
      Steve E. Bryant 
    • By Alex.mexico
      I recently was looking at a new place when I was hiking and found some interesting samples. I bought a cheap digital microscope to get a closer look and think I found something good but want some opinions before I get them assayed. Anyone want to help?

• By mcjtom
      Hello,
      I'm a total newbie.  I bought an inexpensive detector called Quick Shooter MD3030.  It came from China to Thailand and it also doubles as 'Mental Detector' judging from the picture below. 
      I think I understand more or less by now what it does - there is a sensitivity and selectivity (including notching out in 6 phase shift ranges) target identification value display plus 3 tones audio for different ID ranges.  It operates on single frequency of some 6 kHz and seems to have round coils.
      There is also 'depth indicator' on the display, which I imagine would be the return signal/target strength (or the inverse of it)?  I'm not sure if I understand how VLF detectors know the depth of the target.
      Would anybody be vaguely or intimately familiar with this detector and are there is any technical info or reviews, beyond what I know that I can consult to learn more about it?  I don't even know who the manufacturer is...
      A related question: since this detector doesn't have a background threshold control, would decreasing sensitivity play a similar function?
      I know that this particular model may not be up to the Board Members' standards but please help the newbie.
      Many thanks!

• By Idaho Pawn and Gold
      Last week were purchased over 250 grams of these large gold nuggets. While we purchase a lot of gold jewelry and bullion in Boise and Nampa Idaho, this amount of gold nuggets marks a first for us. 
      I am curious the realistic ask value of these?
      Most of these were under 1 gram, but there were about 100 from 1gram-4grams. The largest just over 15grams. 
      -Sam from https://pawnidaho.com