Diggin' The Campground (update)

Whenever I see hauls like this it takes me back to the 70's and 80's (when unfortunately I wasn't using the detectors I owned... 😪).  Many, maybe most of those dimes and quarters would have been silver....

• Haha 1

Just now, GB_Amateur said:

Whenever I see hauls like this it takes me back to the 70's and 80's (when unfortunately I wasn't using the detectors I owned... 😪).  Many, maybe most of those dimes and quarters would have been silver....

Don't I wish! 😵 Oldest today were two 1964 pennies, and a 1968 quarter. Hopefully I'll find a modern key date or something.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Oldest today were two 1964 pennies, and a 1968 quarter. Hopefully I'll find a modern key date or something.

You need to flip that -- two 1968 pennies (worth ~2 cents each because of their copper content) and a 1964 quarter....  Way better!  :biggrin:

As far as key dates, though, your best (only?) hope for modern (post silver era) coins are the rare die varieties such as the 1972 Double Die Memorial and the extremely rare and valuable 1969-S DD Memorial.  (There are a few more -- kac has mentioned some.)  But living in Virginia you have a much better chance at finding earlier rarities. 

• Like 2

What a haul!

As a newbie, I continue to be amazed at the number of lost coins that are out there. I didn’t think many people even carried change these days. Most people I know put their change in a jar, and take it to a coin-counting machine when it gets full. And more and more people use credit/debit cards instead of cash.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Old Line Paul said:

What a haul!

As a newbie, I continue to be amazed at the number of lost coins that are out there. I didn’t think many people even carried change these days. Most people I know put their change in a jar, and take it to a coin-counting machine when it gets full. And more and more people use credit/debit cards instead of cash.

Hey Paul, didn't welcome you. Sorry about that. 😳 👍 welcome to the forum. Looks like you're doing great without having spent a lot of $$.

I was a newbie almost a year ago, I've come pretty far but only because I research and find target-rich environments to hunt. I've been extremely fortunate and forward getting permissions. This campground denied me the first time I asked, then I approached the General Manager and asked again. 😀 No one ever asked him!

The people on this forum have given me lots of great advice, and I have even had visits from one person who knows detectors and has a lot of experience. I am sure you will like and do well with the hobby since you're still here. 😀 I'm one of the more prolific posters, much to the consternation of some I'm sure, and yet the delight and amusement of others. So far I've been received quite well.

There are a lot of great places to still find a lot of stuff, albeit new. I'm waiting for the harvest to get back to the relics which I really prefer, but this coin-shooting is a lot of fun. It doesn't pay compared to what I made working, but in a way it does.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

Don't forget about the w quarters that have come out in the last few years.I got a couple from my buddy and my other friend finally got one in change.We have a new coin  worth finding compared to ordinary clad.

Wish I had known that before I took $400 worth of coins to the bank a while back. 🤣 A lot of those were nearly uncirculated. I did go through them to create a "D" and a "P" quarter set for the grandkids using only the nicest. Don't think I saw a "W". 🤔

The coins I'm finding now are all field queens but I'll look. The coin jar is filling up fast.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rvpopeye said:

81 coins😮

I average a coin find every time I go out......sometimes even two .

(I'm filling an old dump truck out back with pull tabs though , till one of 'em is gold) 

In 4 days at about 4 or 5 hours a day, it was 285 coins. 😀 I'm filling up a jar. I'll have to update this with total, and some dates. It's a big campground, about a mile from one end to the other.

I have dug some gold pull tabs, as well as just about every other color, even pink. More than happy to collect 'em for ya! 🤣

• Haha 3