Attempt At Super Simplified GPX 5000 Settings

I find it quite a light detector too, especially after converting it to a full carbon shaft and seeing I'm anti cords I first started using the DD leather cover with battery mounting on the side which I still found light compared to the GPZ.  I've since gone to a lightweight lipo battery on the side which weighs next to nothing.  I then have a JBL wind speaker on it to give me nice loud cord free audio with the speaker cord just running on the detector across to the side mount battery but also have a Bluetooth low latency transmitter if I wanted to use any other bluetooth cordless audio options.  These are all quite cheap things that Northeasts friend can do to "modernize" his GPX" to get it cord free and wireless audio for very little money.  Especially just mounting the battery on the side using a DD leather case and getting rid of the big heavy curly cable and using a short battery lead.   They were the things I didn't like about the GPX and easily fixed.

I do mostly find small gold around here, under a gram is 98% of the gold, with a good 50% or more of that under .1 of a gram. For me the GPX has found 0.05 of a gram nuggets with the 10" round X-coil which I think is quite respectable.  The GPZ obviously finds smaller as I've regularly been getting 0.03 of a gram and sometimes even smaller depending on how solid and round the bit is and the GPZ is certainly deeper on the smallest bits.  Yes, the GPX 6000 is possibly the best on small gold of the high end Minelab options in their stock form, other than using a VLF but is it wise for your buddy to sell his free 5000 and buy a 6000 for the purpose of finding a bit smaller gold when he doesn't even know if he's going to stick with it and is finding that small gold really that important in the cost vs benefit ratio?

It appears we don't have specimen gold around here, so I'm not all that concerned about that side of things but that's what Gerry was talking about, knowing the gold in your area so you know you're not using the wrong detector for the job.  A cheaper VLF like the Equinox. GM1000 or Garrett 24k combined with the GPX can be a reasonable cheaper remedy for that.

The GPX 5000 with an anti interference coil (figure 8 windings) is just crazy how good it is in high EMI areas, you can take it places you'd never expect a detector to work well and still have PI performance, my 11" Coiltek AI coil seems to me very similar in performance as the 11" DD Commander, but with virtually no EMI anywhere showing the versatility of the GPX.

This anti GPX 4500/5000 stance triggered something in me as I find both of them to be excellent detectors and I'm sure your buddy will too Northeast, once he gets over the small learning curve he'll be fine with it and I'm sure he'll start finding gold too.  Just don't let him get lost in the settings as he really doesn't need to.   Advise him to bury a few nuggets and experiment with the settings to see what he finds suitable.

• Like 5

Hey Guys,

I have to agree with many of your comments, including Phrunt & Steve.  The GPX series, including the 5000 are some of the most versatile gold detectors on the Planet.   Like Steve mentioned, if you were just dropped into a random goldfield, the GPX 5000 would probably be one of the best detectors to use overall.  There are a gazillion aftermarket coils and accessories for it and it has 8 timings, allow you much more flexibility on ground and gold types.  

The last person that told a few of my friends that a Minelab PI was worthless and a VLF is just as good, as there are specimens and crystalline gold that a PI will not find, I wacked out a Trophy sized, solid gold nugget featured in Minelab GP Extreme ad.  The nugget was 3/4's of a pound, solid, crystalline in nature.  

I tell people to buy the best detector they can, then go out and learn and really use it to it's full potential.  You can't worry about someone showing you a piece you might miss, but rather focus on what you can find and give her hell!  I would need a dozen detectors to cover a patch if I was worry I might miss a specimen, a piece of cornflake gold, a small .05 gram of gold or whatever.  

Just my thoughts,

Rob

• Like 5

Hey Steve,

Great post and what an awesome nugget!  I also used to run my GPX 5000 in Sensitive/Extra for the most part with smaller coils up to around 14x9 Mono.  The smaller coils, like the NF Sadie or Minelab 8" Round Mono, I could find them on bedrock under a grain at times, but like you mentioned 1-2 grainers no problem.  

The Fine Gold setting was misleading, many as you stated did think it was best for small gold, but Sensitive/Extra was much better on low to moderate mineralized ground vs. the Fine Gold.  

• Like 2

I agree that sensitive extra is great, and sharp is magic for running over your ground for the deeper fainter signals, however, I also find a use for fine gold when patch hunting as it is less sensitive to hot rocks and mineralization and thus more efficient at ground coverage when looking for that indicator nugget

• Like 1

In my experience getting a Nugget Finder Evolution coil for the 5000 was a huge improvement over the Commander coils. We got a 12'' round and it has outperformed the stock coils by a seriously noticeable degree. No doubt. We follow Steve's beginners guide for the 5000 and have had a ton of success. Best of luck to you. 

• Like 5

yes, Night and Day between a Commander coil and a spiral wound coil and a reasonably cheap upgrade to do that certainly enhances performance especially on small gold, a good point Ryan.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gold Hound said:

Hi guy's here is my take on how to best set up your 5000 for any ground.

Excellent.  Thanks GH.  I'm sure helpful for most that still run a 5000  👍

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Northeast
      Morning everyone, 
      Had a search of the forum and although there are a few mentions of the 14" DD in various thread content I couldn't find a specific thread for discussion around it. 
      Did a video a few days ago getting a few small pieces of gold and small rubbish at a location I've found lots of small gold in a small area.  
      I know that I like watching videos and many of us often encourage others to do a video of this or that.  I figure that rather than asking everyone else to do it I should probably do some of the hard yards myself!  This is certainly not an advertisement of a Youtube channel and I have no illusions that my production quality or information provided is any better than fairly average  🤣
      Something for you Northern Hemisphere folk to watch during the cold months.  
      Happy for anyone to add to the discussion, link a video, show some DD finds or provide some tips on the thread.   
      The thing I found interesting about this was that the target shown at 3.55 mins was quite bright in Normal ground mode.  It ended up being no target at all and just a small pocket of really wet clay.  The fact that it brightened up with the DD surprises me.  The fact that it then brightened up quite a bit more in Normal maybe should have alerted me to the fact that it was ground noise and not a genuine target as the difference in signal on small pieces of gold swapping between Difficult and Normal has been quite small.
      Cheers, N.E.  

• By Rob Allison
      Hello All,
          The new Minelab 17" Elliptical Searchcoils for the Minelab GPX 6000 have been flying off the shelves, definitely high demand.   Due to the high demand, I haven't had much time to use one, everyone ends of taking mine ... LOL
      I haven't seen much larger gold being found at depth yet, but I'm sure it is.  Curious how people and past customers are doing with this new 17" Searchcoil beyond covering more ground quicker?  
      We still have a few left in stock from the last large shipment and more on the way if anyone is still searching for a new "Christmas present.!"  Hahaha 
      Would love to see some pictures or at least hear about any success with the new searchcoil.  
      Wishing you all much success on the goldfield.
      17" Searchcoil available here - https://www.robsdetectors.com/minelab-gpx-6000-17-searchcoil/
      Rob
    • By Aureous
      Seeing how this topic has numerous mentions across the internet, what are the range of faults exhibited? My nearest dealer is over an hour from me so I don't want to travel back and forth after picking mine up if I get a faulty one. So I know what to look for after collection and field test. 
    • By oldcoinhunter
      My first 6000 was faulty out of the box which they replaced with a new one. I've had the new one for 21 days and probably used it 8 days before it went bad.  When i was boxing it up to ship back i heard something rattling inside of it, not good. In researching i found that they've known them to have major issues since March or April, yet they have refused to address the issue with a production stop or at least look at the different production runs and recall those units. I think when it's all said and done there will be a substantial number of them that are faulty worldwide. As it stands now, Detector Center states that there is a" temporary" 10- 14 day time frame for repairing them. My bet is that it's not going to be temporary. If this failure rate continues there may be grounds for a worldwide class action lawsuit, who knows. Oh, and i owned a business for 40 years. Not a very smart way to run a business. JMO.
    • By Gerry in Idaho
      Well my staff/I just finished the season and wrap up of field training for 2021 and our customers...and boy did it go out with a bang and big belly's thanks to Chef Rusty Bucket.  Smoked ribs, Bourbon shrimp in garlic sauce, berry pie and ice cream, smoked Brisket, bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos and more.  Wish I would have taken more pics of the food.  As I have said before, the food/drinks/people are part of why I enjoy these trips, as I know the gold will eventually come.
      As many know, Gerry’s Detectors has been training out there at the burn barrel with a few different staff members since the 90’s.   We have been using just about every model of gold detector from the top manufactures as well as coils to see what the best results are.  The comparisons of customers detectors continue to see the improvements of technologies and capabilities which is what we want.  Yes there are times a more expensive detector may not produce the best signal response on that particular targets, but it’s what it is and part of learning.
      Some of what we found most amazing and it’s exactly what I expected would happen during the training at RP.  The gold nuggets being found during the 3 days of class was the most of any session in at least 5+ yrs.  More people went home with actual Rye Patch gold than what my staff/I have witnessed in quite a long time.  The knowledge shared was the same stuff we always go over, but the knowledge retained was higher.  The class size is usually around the same, but the amount of golden smiles of success was better than many yrs prior.  We know the VLF detectors when fit with small coils are going to find a few pickers, but to see the bigger PI machines perform so well and produce such higher %’s of beautiful NV gold was most impressive.
      So lets go over it again to see what my Staff/I observed, in no particular order.  Knowledge of customers detectors was actually retained, smiles of happy customers making the right choice of detectors, the amount of successful customers who went home with gold and the overall numbers of gold nuggets dug by the students.  There is one thing that I corollate all these positives and it’s the new GPX-6000, period.
      Yes we had SDC-2300’s, GPZ-7000, GPX-5000’s and the usual VLF’s in the class being learned by the students and those who were there with the GPX-6000 had the most Success.  But the success of gold nugget finds was just part of the fun.  Ease of operation and simplicity we’ve never seen from a PI Minelab was also most impressive.  The customers were actually not afraid of their detectors.  They didn’t worry if the timing and or sequence of adjustments was correct, as the GPX-6000 is pretty much a turn on and go.  The old way, a big multi page instruction manual (is missing) and now we get a 3 step Quick Start…and it’s true.  1) Turn On.  2) Raise/Lower Coil for 10s, 3) Begin Detecting.  Are you kidding me, no way that can’t be true.  We just paid $6000 for one of the latest technology fine tuned gold detectors in the world and all we get in the box to help learn, is 3 short steps with a combined total of 10 words?  

Well folks,  it’s all true and so is the amount of happy customers who invested in our training and the new GPX-6000.
      If anyone thinks there was some other reason for the above, please chime in as all indicators are bulls eyed at the GPX-6000.  Overall the trip went exceptionally well consider the 100 yr rain storm that came through while we were down there.  I still love the natural beauty of Northern NV in the fall and the colors on the gold nuggets we dug.
      Hopefully the Spring/Summer class will be just as productive with a group of new enthusiastic customers and more gold being unearthed.

• By billdean
      Each time I try and ground balance my 6000 there is no detectable change. While holding the GB button I pump the coil then move it side to side. It’s like it don’t work. I friend of mine says his does not either. What am I missing? I run in manual mode with the threshold on. The noise cancel works very well.