Disappearing Signal.. SDC 2300

AU_Solitude

I got out into the field yesterday for my first nugget hunt of the year. About an hour into the hunt I got a very nice repeatable breach in the SDC's threshold; I raked away some overburden with the pick and scanned again - same thing with the signal a little stronger. After removing about 3 inches of overburden I was already in bedrock.

I would chip away a few handfuls of bedrock and scan the tailings and bedrock and repeat. This went on for some time, probably about 30 minutes and I was probably 8" into the fractured bedrock and went to rescan the hole and nothing - not even a quiver in the threshold. What happened? I kept going back to this spot hoping my signal would magically re appear to no avail.

:blink: 

3 minutes ago, vanursepaul said:

Maybe hot ground... i have dug many holes that the signal disappears---

either that or you have something stuck on the magnet on your pick---

that's always a fun one to realize after you are about to have a heart attack from digging in the heat!!!! lolol:wacko:

Nothing on the magnet unfortunately - I was in some pretty mild ground so unless it was a random spot of hot ground I'm still convinced there must have been a target in there somewhere. That said, I only have about thirty hours on the SDC so it could be attributed to inexperience with the unit.

3 minutes ago, WesD said:

Also when hammering into bedrock, Ive lost quite a few targets due to them flying out of the hole and landing up to 10 feet away.

This may have happened - I did scan the area but I was in some thick manzanita so it could have gone anywhere if I knocked it out. :sad:

By the way, I spent about 45 minutes digging 13" under some thick manzanita roots yesterday only to find two square nails. How they ended up this far down under a large manzanita baffles me.