Minelab Wireless Headphone Poll - Equinox, Vanquish Pro Pack, & GPX 6000 Owners

Minelab Wireless Headphone Poll  

84 members have voted

1. 1. If you own a Minelab Equinox, Vanquish Pro Pack, or GPX 6000, please choose the one response below that most accurately describes your headphone usage while detecting. Not all the ways you employ audio, simply what you use most of the time.

• I use the Minelab ML80 or ML100 headphones wirelessly
    • I use the ML80 or ML100 headphones connected to the detector via a cable
    • I use the Minelab WM08 High Speed Wireless Module with attached headphones or speaker(s)
    • I use the built in speaker
    • I use third party APTX-LL Low latency wireless headphones
    • I use third party regular Bluetooth wireless headphones, not worried about APTX-LL
    • I use a third party wireless speaker or speakers (do not include WM08 options here)
    • I use some other Minelab wired headphones (not ML80 or ML100)
    • I use third party wired headphones

I was using a aptx ll receiver with Bose ear buds but have switch to the minelab wireless for their superior sound quality I think mostly due to the 6000 running smoother.

• Like 1

I have used the supplied headphones with cable when I hunt with my Equinox 800 the past 3 years.  This means I don't have to mess around (and maybe forget) to charge the headphones when in parks or fields.

I use the headphones wirelessly when running my GPX6000 since areas with brush and sticks make detecting so much nicer with no cable to get snagged.  I plan to really try not to leave my headphones at home accidentally on the charger when heading way out to nugget hunt.  My solace is the 6000 has a built in speaker unlike my 5000 in case I do forget....:laugh:

Crazy I know, but pairing the bluetooth headphones to my GPX6000 was the first use of wireless I've ever done.  It was easy to do and I recommend the headphones since they allow hearing faint signals near flowing water and the signal sound they give is great.

I currently use the Minelab WM08 High Speed Wireless Module. I was using aptX LL earbuds for about 2 years, but there were many times the connection would cut out for a second and it would drop the LL portion and not be usable. I would have to either restart the earbuds or the detector to get back the LL speed. It seems to me that the Equinox antenna for Bluetooth is not that powerful; perhaps it is just my machine. I tried three different brands of earbuds, and each one did the same thing. The WM08 also drops connection when in my right chest pocket and I bend down to dig with my right knee up and left down on the ground. I appreciated using Bluetooth, but it was frustrating when I had to restart every 5 minutes.

• Like 1

I have had the same problem, and ended up using a cellphone armband on my detecting arm, that holds the WM08, and excess wire (for earbuds), with a direct "line of site" to the detector! Not ideal, but we do what we can, with what we got!!👍👍

• Like 3

The 800 that was passed down to me when my grandfather died has the WM08 and the wireless headphones, but I have not really found them after he put them away. I know I will locate them in the next few months and will try them out.

However for now I have only used the speaker that is built into the 800.

• Like 1

I currently am using the wireless headphones more but in the summer preferred the external speaker.

what I really want is a WM12 wireless external speaker.  Or something  like the JBL Clip.

15 hours ago, Bishop said:

im really surprised by the poll numbers.
the amount of hunters that don't wear headphones.

12 percent use the built in speaker?
your missing a lot of targets. i would say 20 percent or more.
the small stuff, more importantly the bigger, deeper stuff.
the kind of target/sounds that just make the threshold rise, like, maybe there's something there, i give it a bit of a scrape
and its a target that i would not hear without headphones on.
not to mention the rear facing speaker, on a mellow target when trying to recover it.
the only detector i don't use headphones with is the gm 1000, no threshold.

At least for me, avoiding headphone use is about situational awareness. I do most of my detecting in yards, parks and I'm often next to roads. Yes, I can hear targets/sounds better with headphones, but it's not worth the cost of having almost no idea what's going on around me.

When I'm focused on a hunt, I'm oblivious to almost everything around me, at least visually...whether I'm in the middle of a swing, digging or using my pinpointer. Basically, the only thing that will catch my visual attention is law enforcement or a park's grounds crew. Therefore, I rely on my ears to warn me of anything else I should be on the lookout for.

If I ever do use headphones, I only use them with one ear.

The above applies when I used my Vanquish 540 and will apply if my Equinox 800 arrives as planned *crosses fingers*

the 6000 headphones are very comfortable. I'll use them in cool or windy weather, ear buds in good weather conditions. 

I use the WM08 module exclusively.  It gives the widest range of headset choice and has the lowest latency of any wireless option.  I take advantage of both of these features.

On 9/29/2021 at 8:35 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

These poll results will be seen at Minelab, in hope of guiding future product development.

I bit the hook and answered the poll...but as I circle the bait once again my inquiring mind wants to know why minelab cares? are they actually considering making better quality head phones/wireless devices for their machines or are they considering doing away with the included wireless headphones entirely with their metal detectors and making them an accessory option from now on? ....after all  they are a business and want low cost with max profit ratios and if they find that enough users wont even bother to  use the provided wireless head phones why include them? They have already seen how much money they can save by not including an owners manual with their machines...Just a thought...what are they thinking now? 🙂 

strick 

• Like 2