Minelab Wireless Headphone Poll - Equinox, Vanquish Pro Pack, & GPX 6000 Owners

Minelab Wireless Headphone Poll  

84 members have voted

1. 1. If you own a Minelab Equinox, Vanquish Pro Pack, or GPX 6000, please choose the one response below that most accurately describes your headphone usage while detecting. Not all the ways you employ audio, simply what you use most of the time.

• I use the Minelab ML80 or ML100 headphones wirelessly
    • I use the ML80 or ML100 headphones connected to the detector via a cable
    • I use the Minelab WM08 High Speed Wireless Module with attached headphones or speaker(s)
    • I use the built in speaker
    • I use third party APTX-LL Low latency wireless headphones
    • I use third party regular Bluetooth wireless headphones, not worried about APTX-LL
    • I use a third party wireless speaker or speakers (do not include WM08 options here)
    • I use some other Minelab wired headphones (not ML80 or ML100)
    • I use third party wired headphones

I'm usually detecting in warm weather areas for gold nuggets.  With the EQ-800 I use the external speaker most of the time.  when I need to be quiet detecting urban areas (schools, parks, yards), I'll use the wireless headphones ML80's.  I have yet to use the WM-08 with the EQ-800 and in fact many of my customers do not either.  I wish Minelab would remove it from the stock package to keep the price lower.  I feel the lag time is not that much of an issue if you swing at the correct speed.  I also think there are many who swing to fast.  Just because I don't use the ML-80's that often, does not mean I don't like them, I actually really do and think they are quite comfortable.  I also enjoy having true wireless as the CTX-3030/GPZ-7000 were not.

My time on the GPX-6000 was in warm weather areas with others and the clear loud signal response is amazing coming from the external speaker.  When I get into areas where I'll be scrubbing the coil for the faintest of signals, then I'll use the ML-100's as I hate hearing outside noise.  Also sometimes in the Fall/Spring on really cold days I need something to keep the ears warm and the wireless headphones are perfect.

Back to the Equinox.  When I detect in water the Minelab Waterproof headphones for the Equinox need to be better quality built and also would like them to be louder signal response.  Sometimes wave action makes it so I can hardly hear the tones.  

• Like 3

On 10/1/2021 at 1:24 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I was not even thinking about underwater use, and the fact that requires wired headphones. Like you, I have Tony's and like them a lot. Guess that could have made for another answer, but instead i guess it will get lumped in with the wired option. I don't think that was really what they were aiming for in this particular question anyway. More about above water and what people are doing there.

It's not like Minelab spends a lot of development time on headphones in most cases. The ML80s were just a branded third party item. Not sure about the ML100. It's those proprietary high speed modules where they are actually putting some money into making a product, and I can't see that lasting, as Bluetooth will eventually be so fast nobody cares anymore. Many uses do not worry about lag, like music listening, but there are other markets where it is a big deal, like gaming.

I use the T.E. wired, waterproof headphones all the time now - not just for the in the water but for in the rain as well. I also have a hearing impairment and the T.E.s just sound better to me than the supplied headphones.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but personally I do not think future iterations of the Equinox should [as the Equinox 800 did] "force" you to purchase the Minelab WM08 High Speed Wireless Module.  I for one have never used it, it's been sitting in the box collecting dust for three years.  Yes I could sell it, but why did I have to purchase it to begin with? 

Although I personally find the ML80 headphones to be adequate (and I understand headphones are a very subjective personalized experience), perhaps instead of being forced to purchase the Minelab WM08 High Speed Wireless Module (or whatever iteration of it exists when the next gen Equinox is released) I'd rather see that investment go towards better headphones, a better rod setup, or an extra coil, whatever, but the WM08 High Speed Wireless Module should've been an optional accessory from the get go.

• Like 3

I agree, mines still in the original bag, I doubt I'd be able to sell it here with such a limited market, I don't even know where it is now, perhaps lost forever but no great loss.  It should be an optional extra, but perhaps not at the mental price they charge for it, I don't know how they can justify such pricing.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, phrunt said:

I agree, mines still in the original bag, I doubt I'd be able to sell it here with such a limited market, I don't even know where it is now, perhaps lost forever but no great loss.  It should be an optional extra, but perhaps not at the mental price they charge for it, I don't know how they can justify such pricing.

I can't imagine it's a big seller as an individually priced accessory, but they can easily say it's a popular product by making us pay for it when we purchase the EQX800!  Their marketing folks may think it's selling like hot cakes, because of how many units are moved per quarter due to EQX800 sales. 

Anyhow, I hope they drop this silly sales practice in the future. 

On 10/21/2021 at 3:54 PM, Cal_Cobra said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but personally I do not think future iterations of the Equinox should [as the Equinox 800 did] "force" you to purchase the Minelab WM08 High Speed Wireless Module.  I for one have never used it, it's been sitting in the box collecting dust for three years.  Yes I could sell it, but why did I have to purchase it to begin with? 

Although I personally find the ML80 headphones to be adequate (and I understand headphones are a very subjective personalized experience), perhaps instead of being forced to purchase the Minelab WM08 High Speed Wireless Module (or whatever iteration of it exists when the next gen Equinox is released) I'd rather see that investment go towards better headphones, a better rod setup, or an extra coil, whatever, but the WM08 High Speed Wireless Module should've been an optional accessory from the get go.

Good point. I had two so sold one, but you will never get what Minelab sells them for. I think I got $100 for mine new unused (they sell for $259 from a dealer). And fact is I have never used the other one yet - I just always grab the ML80 phones.

I thought I might stick in in chest pocket to use Equinox with ear buds, but I'm a creature of habit, and the ML80 do me just fine. I don't like stuff that works with only one detector, and the ML80 works with my Equinox and GPX 6000. In case nobody noticed, no proprietary module for GPX 6000, unlike Equinox, GPX 7000, and CTX 3030. So time to sell this other module I guess.

I think the module was part of justifying the price difference between the Equinox 600 and 800, but Minelab could drop it, nobody would care, and make more money. Price decrease? Hah! Not going to happen unless the competition puts real pressure on.

• Like 1

After using the supplied headphones with the GPX6000 over the past month, I will definitely be going the third party earbud route with a LL bluetooth receiver. They are hot, cumbersome when walking through heavy bush and actually hurt my ears. The audio they put out is of quality, but their comfort leaves little to be desired.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I don't like stuff that works with only one detector, and the ML80 works with my Equinox and GPX 6000. In case nobody noticed, 

Funny I was just thinking that last night that I bet they would pair right up...I like those little light ML 80 headphones they are very comfortable on ear style....I did find that the stock 6000 headphones were a bit harder on my ears after several hours as they clamp down harder but the sound is great...Keeping my high speed nox module for a rainy day..ear buds and maybe a nice Aussie style hat? I'll at least look like I know what I'm doing...

strick

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 10/21/2021 at 6:54 PM, Cal_Cobra said:

I'm just the opposite, but I understand I'm in the minority. 

Rather than supplying a set of headphones that can be found in the aftermarket (as is the case of the ML80's), why not include NO headphones at all and let the consumer find his own?  Have an affordable stock (company) option available?  Sure.  (Note I said 'affordable'.  ML, are you listening?)

If the direction is towards industry 'standard' (fast, please!!) bluetooth, then we're back to the 70's, 80's, 90's where one 'connector' on the control unit can be mated with many choices -- both OEM and aftermarket.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

why not include NO headphones at all and let the consumer find his own?

This is probably where we are headed. As Bluetooth performance improves, it gets to where everyone already has something that will work, and if not, a zillion third party options to choose from. If I were Minelab or anyone else, I’d just build in whatever the latest Bluetooth standard is with future models, and leave it at that. No headphones included at all, assuming the unit has an external speaker. Focus on building metal detectors, and leave audio to people who do that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1