Minelab Wireless Headphone Poll - Equinox, Vanquish Pro Pack, & GPX 6000 Owners

Minelab Wireless Headphone Poll  

84 members have voted

1. 1. If you own a Minelab Equinox, Vanquish Pro Pack, or GPX 6000, please choose the one response below that most accurately describes your headphone usage while detecting. Not all the ways you employ audio, simply what you use most of the time.

• I use the Minelab ML80 or ML100 headphones wirelessly
    • I use the ML80 or ML100 headphones connected to the detector via a cable
    • I use the Minelab WM08 High Speed Wireless Module with attached headphones or speaker(s)
    • I use the built in speaker
    • I use third party APTX-LL Low latency wireless headphones
    • I use third party regular Bluetooth wireless headphones, not worried about APTX-LL
    • I use a third party wireless speaker or speakers (do not include WM08 options here)
    • I use some other Minelab wired headphones (not ML80 or ML100)
    • I use third party wired headphones

Especially when all they're doing is rebranding existing headphones, all that does is add cost for them and then big cost for us 😛

I now have 3 sets of ML80's that I'll likely never use.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2021 at 7:25 AM, GB_Amateur said:

I'm just the opposite, but I understand I'm in the minority. 

Rather than supplying a set of headphones that can be found in the aftermarket (as is the case of the ML80's), why not include NO headphones at all and let the consumer find his own?  Have an affordable stock (company) option available?  Sure.  (Note I said 'affordable'.  ML, are you listening?)

If the direction is towards industry 'standard' (fast, please!!) bluetooth, then we're back to the 70's, 80's, 90's where one 'connector' on the control unit can be mated with many choices -- both OEM and aftermarket.

Better yet!! 

I like the no headphone option.  Vendor can offer optional headsets perhaps included in a "Pro Pack" with wireless headset and an extra coil or wireless pin-pointer, good opportunity for a 3rd party to build a high quality series of BT LL headphones geared towards the detectorists, or the ultimate enthusiasts quest for the best bang for the buck value headset.  The more mainstream options, the better!

• Like 2

I use wired third party headphones plugged into the WM-08 module. The headphones have active noise canceling which helps when the surf is loud. I started using the 3rd party headphones which are LL BT but there was a noticeable lag compared to the WM-08 plugged in. The 3rd party headphones also were not reliable to connect via BT.

On the other hand, the minelab ML80 OEM phones had no sound canceling properties.

Happy with this until the wired cable gets in my way once in a while. 

Minelab needs to provide better quality headphones with option of noise canceling.

• Like 1

That's the problem with selling a detector with audio gear, it seems to make 1 in 10 happy.  They'd be better off selling the detector cheaper without it and let people sort out their own audio options, having theirs available to buy if people want the simple solution of buying the OEM equipment.

I personally don't want any supplied audio gear with any detector as I prefer to use built in speakers.

• Like 1

This idea of a company selling a detector cheaper without headphones is a pipe dream in my opinion. They will just profit from the savings of not including headphones....which is what I was eluding to in my first post on the topic. Call me skeptical if you want but I’ve been in business too long to think otherwise. 

Strick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Took me awhile to figure out how to get the wireless phones to work with the 6 but finally the light bulb went off...and happy it did!  My so-called emi issues have slowed way down now that I no longer use the speaker. The phones are comfy and sound much better than previous Koss phones supplied by Minelab.  So I'm definitely on board now with the wireless phones with the 6.....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, oneguy said:

Took me awhile to figure out how to get the wireless phones to work with the 6 but finally the light bulb went off...and happy it did!  My so-called emi issues have slowed way down now that I no longer use the speaker. The phones are comfy and sound much better than previous Koss phones supplied by Minelab.  So I'm definitely on board now with the wireless phones with the 6.....

That's why I don't think it's environmental EMI, you would expect once you've tuned it out the first time and once it does calm down after the tune(s) the detector frequency and frequency of the EMI are distanced as evident by the auto tune working, then why sometimes as short as 5 or 10 minutes later in the exact same spot do they merge back together? EMI is usually pretty static from the source in it's frequency as proven by other detectors that tune it out and it's gone all day or until you change locations enough to get another EMI source. 

I think it's something in the detector drifting and it must be something to do with the external speaker as people quickly worked out the bypass to the problem was using wireless headphones. It'd be interesting to know if using plug in headphones resolves it too as that's not using the bluetooth module and as Jasong pointed out here it maybe getting replaced with another one.     If the EMI issues are still there when using plug in headphones then it's not the internal speakers fault and something else causing it.

Either way its' a problem I hope they're addressing as if I was to own one I'd want to use the speaker all the time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

That's why I don't think it's environmental EMI, you would expect once you've tuned it out the first time and once it does calm down after the tune(s) the detector frequency and frequency of the EMI are distanced as evident by the auto tune working, then why sometimes as short as 5 or 10 minutes later in the exact same spot do they merge back together? EMI is usually pretty static from the source in it's frequency as proven by other detectors that tune it out and it's gone all day or until you change locations enough to get another EMI source. 

I think it's something in the detector drifting and it must be something to do with the external speaker as people quickly worked out the bypass to the problem was using wireless headphones. It'd be interesting to know if using plug in headphones resolves it too as that's not using the bluetooth module and as Jasong pointed out here it maybe getting replaced with another one.     If the EMI issues are still there when using plug in headphones then it's not the internal speakers fault and something else causing it.

Either way its' a problem I hope they're addressing as if I was to own one I'd want to use the speaker all the time. 

Once again....I'm no tech guy and anything I say please take with a grain....just my experience and what I think?  I have a love hate thingy with the 6 because it's soooo wild and I'm not a big fan of PI's in general.  Taking the hobby somewhat serious I do know that to cover all bases I NEED a PI and in some areas I really do like the depth performance and getting rid of those pesky hot rocks, etc. that the Monster hates.  Was about ready to sell the 6 because of the erratic nature of the beast...BUT, I also had a taste of some of it's capabilities if and when the thing settled down and minimal emi.  There's is plenty of emi where I hunt and every time a jet flies over (which is constantly) the 6 lets me know.  I'm a big fan of no headphones and also enjoy using the speaker.  I'd read all the posts about the speaker possibly being the culprit for much of the so-called "emi" issues...???  All I can say, and this is just my opinion, is that when I tried my CORDED Sennhauser phones my "emi" issues seemed to settle down a lot.  Yesterday was my first day using the provided cordless ML phones and once again my "emi" issues settled right down and even when a jet flies overhead the erratic threshold isn't near as bad and a lot shorter time wise.  So just my opinion...I think there's something to the whole speaker/emi thing?  Wearing the wireless phones is a small price to pay to FINALLY get this wild beast to settle down some where I'm not so frustrated using it?  I hunt gold to ENJOY myself and fighting with a machine isn't enjoyable...using phones in my area, conditions, ground, etc. has improved my experience with the 6 a bunch.....jmo's

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1