I Love Small Texas Town Parks, More Silver Again

The dust had barely settled from yesterday's hunt. Originally I had planned to do a little water hunting, then I changed my mind and decided to go back to the park I hunted yesterday. On the road, I scrapped that plan and drove an extra an hour to another park. I'm glad I did because it paid off with another multi-silver day. When I wheeled in, I saw 2 other guys already hunting. I went across the road to stay out of their territory.

The third hole of the day was a mini wheat spill consisting of three Wheaties at the 8-9" range. I asked the 2 guys that were taking a break from hunting if they wanted to see how deep the coins were. I had left one in at 8" that was sticking out of the side of the hole to show them. They both explained to me that they don't want to see or dig a deep coin 🙂 If they can't pick up the coin with their pinpointer, they leave it,  volume clad hunters only is what they told me. To each their own I guess, which explains why I'm not hitting many coins in these parks, which is fine with me, it just slows me down. 

After digging 8 or 9 deep wheats, I'm using a Nox 800, I decided to set Park 1-2 and Field 1-2 up with all the same exact settings to see which mode hit the best, Park 1 and Field 1 did the best, although Field 1 wasn't as crisp and sharp tone wise. Park 2 and Field 2 degraded the signal to a point I wouldn't have stopped to investigate the hit. 

I ran the Nox in my cherry piking mode:

Park 1

Recovery speed 3

Iron Bias 0

Sens  23

2 tones

No disc-wide open

Tone bin set at 21

Very slow sweep

These small town parks are producing in a way I didn't expect. I don't do much research, I google the town or ask someone where the oldest park in town is and go from there. So far, so good, 42 silver coins, 4 silver rings and over a 100 wheats in the last 2 weeks doing this.

IMG_20210930_144900080.jpg

IMG_20210930_170342989.jpg

IMG_20210930_170351963.jpg

IMG_20210930_115624957_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210930_114710421_HDR.jpg

• Like 8
  • Oh my! 1

27 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

It's like listening to Kasey Kasem ,,,the hits just keep on coming...

You're in the groove.

Haha, I was saying that to myself today, too funny!!

• Haha 1

I thought Texas was a no hunt state?  What are or are there any special rules in Texas.  Thanks, GaryC/Oregon Coast  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

I thought Texas was a no hunt state?  What are or are there any special rules in Texas.  Thanks, GaryC/Oregon Coast

It seems to be a free for all, even in Georgetown Texas, if you can believe that.  State parks are out also certain places on the Gulf coast.  All the police and park workers just wave and keep on going 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan(NM) said:

...I decided to set Park 1-2 and Field 1-2 up with all the same exact settings to see which mode hit the best....

Glad you tried that -- something I've wondered about myself but never took the time to experiment.  Thanks!

Tone bin set at 21

So 21 and below are low tone and 22 and above are high tone?  Is that so you can ignore Zincolns?

...another multi-silver day.

Multi as in five!  That 1938 Merc is a beaut.  Keep up the great hunting and associated postings for us to salivate over.  Is that rusty coin a 1943 zinc plated steel cent?  (Or maybe a 1944?  :biggrin:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dan(NM) said:

After digging 8 or 9 deep wheats, I'm using a Nox 800, I decided to set Park 1-2 and Field 1-2 up with all the same exact settings to see which mode hit the best, Park 1 and Field 1 did the best

That’s true because Park/Field 1 modes on the Nox are internally lower frequency weighted, which is better suited to higher conductive targets (pennies, dimes, etc).  Park/Field 2 modes are internally higher frequency weighted, and are better suited for fine jewelry and other low conductors, such as nickels. I still find deep nickels in Park/Field 1, but I’ve always wondered how much deeper I could hit a nickel in Park/Field 2. 

Congrats on another great day of hunting!! 👍🏼

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dan(NM) said:

I changed my mind and decided to go back to the park I hunted yesterday.

Are you sure that you haven't just re-arraigned the coins in the pictures from the other day for this hunting trip?

I know that you are killing it, but give me a break because I haven't been able to hunt more than 6 hours all year.

When I make it back home I plan to get out there again, but worry that you might be in my neck of the woods and get into some of my areas. Then I will be left with nothing all year.

Good luck and keep a swinging.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Glad you tried that -- something I've wondered about myself but never took the time to experiment.  Thanks!

So 21 and below are low tone and 22 and above are high tone?  Is that so you can ignore Zincolns?

Multi as in five!  That 1938 Merc is a beaut.  Keep up the great hunting and associated postings for us to salivate over.  Is that rusty coin a 1943 zinc plated steel cent?  (Or maybe a 1944?  :biggrin:)

This was the perfect place to do a comparison between modes. I've done this in New Mexico and had the same results. Park 1, for how and what I hunt for, performa the best. I also played around with the recovery speed, sensitivity and iron bias setting. 6 recovery speed with sens@20 still gave a "dig me" signal. The iron bias setting did nothing one way or another on the tonal quality.    Tone break of 21 eliminates zincs, pitch set at 1 from-9 to 21(low tone grunts) volume set to 3. 22 and up, pitch set at 25, volume at 25 as well.  Im rather certain that rusty thing is a wartime steel cent, it's buddy in the hole was a 44 wheat.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Raphis said:

That’s true because Park/Field 1 modes on the Nox are internally lower frequency weighted, which is better suited to higher conductive targets (pennies, dimes, etc).  Park/Field 2 modes are internally higher frequency weighted, and are better suited for fine jewelry and other low conductors, such as nickels. I still find deep nickels in Park/Field 1, but I’ve always wondered how much deeper I could hit a nickel in Park/Field 2. 

Congrats on another great day of hunting!! 👍🏼

Thank you .  I also ran thru all the single frequencies as well. 4-5 khz smacked the targets, 10,15 did ok, 20, 40 sucked lol

• Like 2

• The title was changed to I Love Small Texas Town Parks, More Silver Again