I Love Small Texas Town Parks, More Silver Again

4 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Are you sure that you haven't just re-arraigned the coins in the pictures from the other day for this hunting trip?

I know that you are killing it, but give me a break because I haven't been able to hunt more than 6 hours all year.         Lol, It wouldn't be hard to think that :) I actually was feeling a little guilty about how much stuff I was finding, but I quickly got over on the next hit lol. I'm retiring next month, so, if you live in Texas, be on the lookout for  blue 4 door Toyata Yaris at your local haunts;)  

• Like 2

Nice hunting and great info, Dan. I'm intrigued by the choice of settings, it may help me find silver at a couple of farmhouses where I've found only clad (well one of them, even Chase got silver at the other) 🙄

I have a 600, your recovery speed setting on the 800 seems kinda low. I've been using RS3 (max) on my 600 forever, think I should slow it down? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Nice hunting and great info, Dan. I'm intrigued by the choice of settings, it may help me find silver at a couple of farmhouses where I've found only clad (well one of them, even Chase got silver at the other) 🙄

I have a 600, your recovery speed setting on the 800 seems kinda low. I've been using RS3 (max) on my 600 forever, think I should slow it down? 

This topic comes up a lot, and there are many opinions.  Site and user dependent?  'Yes' and 'yes' are the typical answers there.  Target goal dependent?  Another 'yes'.  AFAIK the main advantage to faster RS settings (i.e. 6,7,8 on the Eqx 800) are ability to separate close targets.  (Well, coil swing rate must be adjusted, so some might say being able to swing the coil faster is an advantage of higher RS settings.)  BTW, there was a long post by Tom Dankowski on his forum about RS = 3 on the Eqx 800 being the optimal setting from a design standpoint.  Don't remember if he said how he 'knew' this.  His post had a link on our site, and it's probably still around.  I'm too lazy ("in a hurry" sounds better 😄) this AM to try and dig it up.

You could try RS = 2 on your Eqx 600 and compare with RS = 3.  I would be very careful detecting with RS = 1 if I were you, but it never hurts to experiment.

I'm still annoyed that Minelab didn't use the same scale for the 800 and 600.  They could still leave out the intermediate values with no loss of 'marketability.'

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

This topic comes up a lot, and there are many opinions.  Site and user dependent?  'Yes' and 'yes' are the typical answers there.  Target goal dependent?  Another 'yes'.  AFAIK the main advantage to faster RS settings (i.e. 6,7,8 on the Eqx 800) are ability to separate close targets.  (Well, coil swing rate must be adjusted, so some might say being able to swing the coil faster is an advantage of higher RS settings.)  BTW, there was a long post by Tom Dankowski on his forum about RS = 3 on the Eqx 800 being the optimal setting from a design standpoint.  Don't remember if he said how he 'knew' this.  His post had a link on our site, and it's probably still around.  I'm too lazy ("in a hurry" sounds better 😄) this AM to try and dig it up.

You could try RS = 2 on your Eqx 600 and compare with RS = 3.  I would be very careful detecting with RS = 1 if I were you, but it never hurts to experiment.

I'm still annoyed that Minelab didn't use the same scale for the 800 and 600.  They could still leave out the intermediate values with no loss of 'marketability.'

Don't want to hijack Dan's thread, but I'll try RS2 over at the newer farmhouse. The Ace 400 didn't yield anything new over there but that little tweak may help, possibly using one of the field settings. I've been using Park 1 for a while now because it's easier to get the easy stuff. I did find 4 silver coins at the old farmhouse with it.

I started out in Field 2 when I was out last year, there are also a lot of opinions on depth and accuracy. Sorry Dan! Hopefully these extra posts will give you the day 🙄

• Like 1

9 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I ran it at 3 because it wasn't a trash infested site and I was trying to squeeze every bit of depth at this place. Running the recovery speed at 6 still allowed me to get solid hits on the deep stuff.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 7:37 PM, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

I thought Texas was a no hunt state?  What are or are there any special rules in Texas.  Thanks, GaryC/Oregon Coast  

Texas is 95.2% private property so out don't a lot of open public land and need to get permissions.  Most State Parks restrict detecting.  Also, most grade schools I have come across so far have fenced and secured playgrounds.

That said, I have not had any problems so far detecting city or county parks.  I just make sure my recovery efforts leave the area looking undisturbed as I normally do.

Monte

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

• The title was changed to I Love Small Texas Town Parks, More Silver Again