Beginner Gold Detector?

There are a lot of variables to answer that question, Firstly where are you going to be prospecting?

This is a good place to start reading.

• Like 1

Thats one of the best of the VLFs over the years,

I would be looking for a used PI Minelab 3500- 5000 series for the money you have.

Since the new ones are out the prices have dropped considerably

(dont know that 2k will be enough --depends on how good a wheeler dealer you are)

• Like 1

I would recommend a used Minelab GP 3000/3500 for a PI and a Equinox 800 with 6” coil for a VLF. If this is over $2,000 then maybe a lesser priced single frequency VLF such as a Garrett 24k. These two detectors will cover most gold types you’ll most likely encounter and be able to handle the more difficult types of ground mineralization. If your goal is placer gold in heavily mineralized ground then just get a GPX 5000.

I'd stick with the GB2 for now and try find a GPX 4500 for sale second hand for the price you can afford.  $2000 USD would easily buy a GPX 4500 here in New Zealand, not sure about there.  In fact there is a GPX 5000 for sale at a second hand dealer here at the moment currently at auction with $1149 NZD (about $800 USD) with a Coiltek Elite coil.  I've got my eye on it although I really don't need it 😛 The good thing about buying at second hand dealers though is you get a minimum of 90 day warranty on it.  The shop knows nothing about detectors as evident by how they've displayed it 😜

157719563_gpx5000.png.6b4a5f6f3ec7ccbf3af0abe276c4c870.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TnRebel said:

Western US. I have a Goldbug 2.

stick with your Bug and learn it well.  Maybe save the rest of your dough for scoops & a decent pick-axe, if you don't have them already.  If you must have a PI go used.  BTW....I have an sdc 2300 I'll part with that's still under warranty....

If you want a PI to go with your Gold Bug 2 (don’t sell it) the last two used Minelab GPX 4500 on eBay went for $1650 and $1800 respectively. That being the case, I’d patiently shop for a clean used GPX 4500 or GPX 4000. I’d not drop below to the GP or SD models just based on battery differences alone.

• Like 3

Or a used 2300...compact...simple to use...great on the ground you live. You should be able to find one for close to your budget. 

Strick

• Like 2

It depends on what you do or want to do.

If you fossick ( fossicking) is prospecting especially when carried out as a recreational activity in abandoned or flogged mining areas, then you will be best getting a detector that can get very small nuggets. This requires a very careful and skilled efforts to get worth while amount in dollars but pleasure in the numbers that you can get, and less skunk days.

If you prospect (prospecting) involves roaming likely areas on foot looking for direct indications of ore mineralization in outcrops, sediments, and soils and other attempts that have been done by others(old- timers) . It involves swinging a detector over large area of ground trying to get a target that is easy for the detector to pick up. This requires a persistent effort with an eye for the soil and terrain and knowledge of the area. A light weight detector that can find nugget with little swinging effort as a large area and varying ground condition have to be covered and a lot of days with no nuggets. Personally I have specked many nuggets while swinging the detector, some were noticed first by the detector up to  5 ounces.

You gain knowledge of prospecting by fossicking in the area that you go to. This will save a lot time of learning the ground and you have somewhere to go when the skunk days get massive. 

Best of luck with your selection below are two one ounce plus nuggets found sitting on top of the ground note that the left one has moss on it so it was not a sunbaker  😄

Moss-GOLD-PHOTO.jpg.407bf91505b7f84ab530ed9d68c34a9d.jpg

• Like 2