Garrett ATX Vs Minelab GPX 4500

• The title was changed to Garrett ATX Vs Minelab GPX 4500

If you plan on getting in the water, then the ATX or Equinox. If you just plan on hunting the wet sand, I would personally go with the GPX, because it has a far better coil choice. Some worry that the salty air will screw up the electronics in the GPX. However I've used mine at the beach for about 4 years now without a problem. You do need to use electronics cleaner on the switches to keep them clean, but the box is actually pretty tight. I actually dropped a GP 3500 in the water once and quickly got it out and turned it off. Took it home and pulled the ends off the box to find very little water in the box. let it sit for a day and it fired right up.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Yup, the GPX has rubber gaskets on each end of the control box from the factory which would keep all sand out and restrict waters ingress, and you can put rubber boots on the switches to keep sand/dirt/dust/water out of them, they just screw right on.Ā Ā  The GPX can easily be made a suitable machine for on the beach without too much concern about the sand.Ā Ā Ā Ā  You can also put a protective neoprene cover on the control box if you want extra protection.

Mines been through a lot of heavy rain with no problems too.

1490535904_GPXGasket.jpg.b2c1072cc0f73431d6344d1a438172ba.jpg

1005688743_switchboot.jpg.b0da59a936329b3e814f973863d72c43.jpg

My 4500 has now become my black sand beach detector.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Buying a new or used ATX is not too difficult since there are always some on Ebay USA.

Finding a used GPX 4500 is a much rarer occurrence. Finding a new GPX 4500.....they were discontinued here in the USA in 2020.

Finding a good deal on a used GPX 5000 is very easy to do and new ones are still available here too.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1