Fisher F-70 Difference Between Nel & Cors Search Coils?

I am 80 and having problems trying to figure out the difference between COR'S coils and Nel coils.Looking at a 9.5" x 5" d.d. coil for my F-70,seems the Nel coils are harder to find ,but the Cor's are easy to find.Rumor says two brothers own both coils companies is this right?🙂

• Like 1

Yes, Cors and Nel are the same company, the US tends to get Cors branded coils, and the rest of the world Nel.  Not sure why they've done that.  Both coil types perform exactly the same and are made at the same factory in Ukraine.  I was buying direct from Nel and I was able to choose Cors branded or Nel branded.

I'm a big fan of Nel/Cors coils but I found the Sharpshooter 9.5x5.5 to be no better than the Fisher 10x5", in fact I found the Fisher coil to be better. 

While my experience is with the Fisher Gold Bug Pro rather than the F75, I don't know if there would be much of a difference.  It's very unlike me not to recommend a Nel over a stock coil, but in this case I think it's probably a good move to go stock.  The Fisher coil was more sensitive (to small gold), both had similar if not the same depth on coins and I preferred the solid design of the Fisher, neither perform noticeably better than the other in EMI either.  In a coin hunting scenario where needing the hotter tip of the Fisher coil isn't as necessary as gold prospecting it probably doesn't matter so I'd just buy which ever was cheapest.  As for build quality, I'd likely give that to the Nel... the Fisher ears scare me being thin but so far I've had no problems, they just look like they'd break easily.  The Nel is just tough.

343578201_f7510x5.thumb.jpg.4ed85f8e5635ce36f41d78c4e3a106fe.jpg514828455_NelSharpshooter.thumb.png.bd6dab3fefb217775f7e830754c9d5b6.png

• Like 6

I have the NELS 9.5X5 Sharpshooter for my Fisher F5 and it is excellent.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'm a big fan of Nel/Cors coils but I found the Sharpshooter 9.5x5.5 to be no better than the Fisher 10x5", in fact I found the Fisher coil to be better.

23 hours ago, phrunt said:

I preferred the solid design of the Fisher....

IMO this second point is the clincher in dry land detecting.  In water, open coils tend to be better.  Mars makes a similar size open DD coil which is also excellent but trying to distinguish performance between the three may be an impossible task.

Both NEL and CORS can be found in the USA.  Something I read is that NEL granted exclusive sales rights to one or a few companies and regretted it later on.  Using the CORS label allowed them to skirt this constraint.  Makes sense but I have no idea as to the veracity of this claim.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Fisher F-70 Difference Between Nel & Cors Search Coils?