Find Of The Year Or Find Of A Lifetime?

It's a nice find as well as your other coins.  I could be wrong, but that first picture really looks like a V nickel, not a Half Cent, though.  Based on the stars above the bust, the length of the chin and the size of the numbers of the date (see examples below).  The date numbers are really hard to make out.  I know there are no 1809 V nickels, but I honestly can't make out the date.  

Regardless of the actual coin, find of the year or find of a lifetime is kind of a subjective personal benchmark that really is whatever you want it to be based on your detecting objectives.  If you think you will personally never top that find, then it is indeed your find of a lifetime.  If it makes you excited, that's a great find regardless of what it is.

I try not let such labels define my detecting success or failure for as long as you are able to detect at sites with great prospects you always have the opportunity to top your own "find of a lifetime". 

I tend to try to just soak in the moment whether its just 16 cents in clad, a silver quarter, a Confederate button, my first gold ring, a CW Eagle breast plate,  an 1830's silver dime, a 2 cent piece at the beach (weird), a gold coin.  All these were great memories for me of great detecting days.  And the finds themselves don't necessarily define the day.  I treasure my first dug minie ball as much as my 80 dug minie ball day.  I also have a fairly long bucket list and that keeps me motivated.

Any detecting day gives the anticipation of a find of a lifetime and just being able to get out there and detect is treasure in itself.

il_794xN.3350262987_btyh.jpg

il_794xN.2334910136_pefg.jpg

• Like 8

It is DEFINTELY a half cent.  With a jewelers loop the numbers 180 are clearly visible. Up until 1808 the bust was looking to the right. She began looking to the left in 1809. 

You mentioned stars. Yes, there are STARS over the bust in a half cent.

A V NicKLE????? NO! Not even close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, relic ray said:

It is DEFINTELY a half cent.  With a jewelers loop the numbers 180 are clearly visible. Up until 1808 the bust was looking to the right. She began looking to the left in 1809. 

You mentioned stars. Yes, there are STARS over the bust in a half cent.

A V NicKLE????? NO! Not even close.

Ok. Look at the pics I added.  Looks pretty close to a V to me (closer to a V than the actual 1809 half cent pictured).  But like I said, I could be wrong - not trying to take away from your find, just trying to help you get an accurate ID to your coin post.  I'll let others weigh in.  In that condition, I think it is hard to use the descriptive term "DEFINITELY", so perhaps being open to what other people are seeing might be beneficial.

IMG_20210930_185317910.thumb.jpg.9d3148762f4d5ca3a20a31459b01c010.jpg

il_794xN.2334910136_pefg.thumb.jpg.e9bafa7d57cc919e65923d4e34f22107.jpg

• Like 4

Still a great find.  Love the V nickel design.  Like I said above, don't let the find define you, be thankful for finding a 120+ year old coin.  And be thankful it got ID'd correctly here, where the members are civil and appreciate all types of finds for the love the hobby.

• Like 3

I will add that it is corroded like a v nickel would look over time depending in the ground it is very hard to find a v nickel in good shape...nice find either way

strick