Find Of The Year Or Find Of A Lifetime?

1 hour ago, relic ray said:

But why would a nickel come out of the ground with a green patina? Also, that coin was slightly larger than a nickel and it was also thinner than a nickel.  Hmmm, a real conundrum.

V nickels are 75% copper and 25% nickel.  Depending on the corrosive chemicals in the ground, it is not unusual for dug nickels to come out of the ground as green or reddish brown.  And they are notorious for bring easily corroded because of their composition which leaves them vulnerable to metal loss and thinning.

BTW what was the TID of the coin on your Nox?  That would be dead giveaway - 12 to 15 its a nickel (typically 13).  A half cent is 100% copper and woukd ring up likely in the mid 20's.

• Like 5

Relic Ray as Chase Goldman said deciding what is the find of a life time varies for every one.

The thrill can be a sudden feeling of excitement and pleasure or beating your best. I find it hard to say what mine was. Could it be the 4 0z that got me in the ounce club, or 26+ Oz from a patch that I got most of it out in a day, 19 Oz before lunch and the rest after I got the wife and friends out after lunch. Or was it the one of the Kilo+ Patches that I found in West Australia, and I nearly forgot my first nugget ( I must be getting old can not remember were, because the wife beat me by months for the first.😭 ) They all have their good points but the others have some better points. I always thought it would be the 26+ Oz find in one day but it was over in 12 hours, The kilo+ patches although more gold took many weeks to expire, but it was great getting dozens of nuggets a day week in and week out, one of them produced my largest Specimen that yielded over 16 Oz. The best was probably the 4 Oz I found it close to town early in the morning while waiting for my prospecting mate to finish his last night shift before we hit a new patch together that day. It maybe my next, lets hope so the pleasure of detecting.

At the moment yours is the ½ cent that may or may not turn into a nickel so enjoy it. The worst that can happen is original value will be worth 10 time more. Keep up the good work and keep us up to date with your progress. 

• Like 5

I've dug both an 1809 half cent and two V nickels, one of the V's was nearly indistinguishable as it was scooped in a river - it was silver-ish, and the second was dug in a yard and it was brown. Dug the half cent in a field, I wouldn't call it the find of a lifetime... Ask anyone on here who has found a gold coin. Even Trimes and Reales are fairly common.

Really a V nickel is more of a find because it is in the pull tab range. 🙂 Great find. 👍

• Like 1