I haven't seen very much conversation about the comparison between these two detectors now that the GPX 6000 is creeping into the SDC 2300's territory.  So far, the GPX gets both smaller and deeper gold.  Has anyone other observations?

I sold my 2300 to help fund the 6000 purchase so my only observation was watching its new owner drive off with it 🙂 

seriously I think running the 2300 was  easier but the 6000 hits hard on any small metal target where as the 2300 would let you know its there...

strick 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Main issue for me was SDC poor ergonomics and hardwired coil. Even if they detected gold identically coil to coil, the GPX in the long run will benefit from a better coil selection, like that 17” mono. Still, for a person wanting a simple to operate, easy packing gold vacuum, the 2300 is a great little detector, and close to half the price of the 6000.

• Like 5

I agree.  The cost is a big deal for many people.  Aside from cost, the physical characteristics are the main issue/point with the SDC.  It's compact and waterproof.  I've been curious if any long time users thought there were any remaining advantage of the SDC timings over the new GPX.  The SDC used to have a reputation for nicely handling hot rocks.  It seems pretty clear the GPX 6000 is more sensitive to small gold than the SDC. 

Does anyone with years of experience have an opinion on how these two compare with ironstones, soil mineralization, or salt signals?

9 hours ago, Skookum said:

Does anyone with years of experience have an opinion on how these two compare with ironstones, soil mineralization, or salt signals?

The MPF timings for the SDC, in particular the receive processing, minimizes mineralized soil signals and can help greatly with hotrocks. The 6000 can be quite sensitive to hot rocks and the SDC has an edge IMO in extreme conditions. But overall the SDC is no match to the 6000. However, I still use it from time to time, especially when I go hiking. In highly mineralized soil with fast-timing shallow gold close over bedrock the SDC is hard to beat. It was designed for these conditions.

• Like 6

Gold Catcher,

I agree. The only time I definitely chose the SDC is hiking down the steep slopes to the Yuba and American Rivers. The SDC fits nicely in my pack leaving both hands free. I hope to see you in November in Gold Basin.

• Like 2

I think the SDC will continue to be a great seller for a long time due to the facts already mentioned about it's compactness ease of use and ability to effectively handle mineralized ground...the main reason the guy that bought mine was because he could throw it into his back pack.  in 2014 I went on my last hunting trip...myself and two of my buddies back pack into a remote area in the Trinity Alps... it was a ritual we had been doing for close to 20 years...I threw the 2300 in my back pack and did not tell them I was loosing interest in deer hunting and would mainly be looking for gold...I wish I had a picture of them when we were un packing at our base camp when they watched my take the 2300 out of the pack. 

strick 

• Like 3

On 10/4/2021 at 9:23 PM, Gold Catcher said:

The MPF timings for the SDC, in particular the receive processing, minimizes mineralized soil signals and can help greatly with hotrocks. The 6000 can be quite sensitive to hot rocks and the SDC has an edge IMO in extreme conditions.

I couldn't agree more.... this week a friend was visiting and we did extensive testing with a 5000 (various NF coils in size from the 8"x6" Sadie, up to the 25" DD), 2300, 6000 (11"/17" mono and included DD), 7000 (NF Z Search and OEM including the GPZ19) including in an area on my property that is littered in hot rocks. 2 years ago my friend using his SDC pulled 7 nice nuggets off the spot that this time using my 6000 he was not able to walk more than 5' without sounding on another hot rock, regardless of setting (N/D) or switching to the DD coil. The 6k was unusable, the 2300 dead quiet. If I had to sell one, it would be the 6k, for this reason, the utilitarian advantages of the SDC, waterproof for sniping, and the fact I have a 45,5, and 7 to cover the top range of the scale. The 6k is "not" an SDC killer in my opinion, the SDC is an incredible little machine FOR IT'S PURPOSE(S).

Jen

• Like 5

I would have to agree with what has already been said regarding the hot rocks....the SDC handles them better. The 6 gets the tiny nugs much deeper than the SDC though and, I would guess, the bigger ones deeper as well, though, I haven't got it over any sizeable nugs yet. I totally agree with Steve on ergonomics and coil selection...the 6 all the way! I did pull a small flat nug from a patch that had been totally flogged by the SDC with the 6 that was standing vertical in a crack and the 6 just sang out over this nug. It was the only signal left on this small patch. I'm guessing that it was missed by the SDC and every other machine because it was so thin and vertical. 

• Like 4

On 10/9/2021 at 9:25 AM, Jennifer said:

I couldn't agree more.... this week a friend was visiting and we did extensive testing with a 5000 (various NF coils in size from the 8"x6" Sadie, up to the 25" DD), 2300, 6000 (11"/17" mono and included DD), 7000 (NF Z Search and OEM including the GPZ19) including in an area on my property that is littered in hot rocks. 2 years ago my friend using his SDC pulled 7 nice nuggets off the spot that this time using my 6000 he was not able to walk more than 5' without sounding on another hot rock, regardless of setting (N/D) or switching to the DD coil. The 6k was unusable, the 2300 dead quiet. If I had to sell one, it would be the 6k, for this reason, the utilitarian advantages of the SDC, waterproof for sniping, and the fact I have a 45,5, and 7 to cover the top range of the scale. The 6k is "not" an SDC killer in my opinion, the SDC is an incredible little machine FOR IT'S PURPOSE(S).

Jen

Spot on Jen. This is the Achilles Heel of the GPZ 7000 and GPX 6000. Both detectors bang hard on certain hot rocks, generally the same hot rocks, that prior Minelab models can either reduce, or eliminate entirely. Usually in my case they are rare enough that digging them is more annoyance than problem, but if you get into locations where you hit them every few swings or more, they can pretty much shut a person down. That's why to this day I still advocate the GPX 5000 as the machine for all locations and situations over these two newer models, as it is in my opinion the most versatile Minelab PI made still. The SDC 2300 is also great, but more limited in coil selection and settings, so I give the overall nod to the 5000. In any case, I wanted to highlight your comment, as the newer GPZ 7000 and GPX 6000 get a lot of positive commentary from lots of people, including me. But it's important to note that for some locations they can be a total fail. There still is no one perfect machine for all situations, and may never be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2