Simplex Vs XP Orx For Coins In Trash

Been using the Simplex with the SP 24 for a year now and have done really well with it, especially in trashy areas. Just won an xp orx which came with the hf elliptical coil and I just ordered a 9 inch x 35 coil. Detected a couple of places with the orx and it doesn’t seem to separate out the trash that is close to a coin like the Simplex. I’m wondering if the x35 coil I’m getting  can be setup to do as well as the simplex in trashy areas. Thank, Jim

• Like 2

What ORX settings are you using, especially in regards to reactivity and frequency?  Higher reactivity settings and higher frequencies tend to aid in separation.  The Simplex frequency is fixed (other than slight offsets) and recovery speed which primarily determines a detector’s ability to separate targets, cannot be adjusted independent of the modes.  On the ORX, Coins Fast is your best mode if you are looking for decent separation (also, that elliptical coil is superior to the round X35 coils, in this regard, simply because the smaller footprint limits the number of targets that can be under the coil at any time).  

When you are referring to trash, are you talking ferrous or non ferrous trash?  It makes a difference.  XP detectors (ORX and Deus) are great in iron.  However, the fixed 3 tone setup of the ORX really limits its ability to distinguish aluminum trash from keeper gold jewelry or nickels.  The Deus full tones feature really makes non-ferrous junk stand out from mid-conductive keeper targets like gold and nickels.

You should also experiment with the gold modes for coin shooting.  The audio takes some getting used to especially since all metal targets will be picked up.  But Gold mode really helps you separate targets in the ground, the caveat being the pitched based audio requires more reliance on visual indicated target ID.

Finally, if you are detecting in areas with a lot of iron junk, consider lowering sensitivity into the 80’s, these keeps the shallow and big iron from overwhelming the detector so partially masked keepers can stand out better.  This approach is not very effective in areas with high concentrations of non-ferrous (e.g., aluminum) trash.

HTH

• Like 5

4 hours ago, oldcoinhunter said:

Been using the Simplex with the SP 24 for a year now and have done really well with it, especially in trashy areas. Just won an xp orx which came with the hf elliptical coil and I just ordered a 9 inch x 35 coil. Detected a couple of places with the orx and it doesn’t seem to separate out the trash that is close to a coin like the Simplex. I’m wondering if the x35 coil I’m getting  can be setup to do as well as the simplex in trashy areas. Thank, Jim

In Europe and especially in France we have iron trash almost everywhere because of 2000+ years of history. And the Deus / Orx are by far the most popular detectors over here , the same in England from what I have heard. But it takes time to learn machines like the Deus/Orx , you need several months to learn its audio , and it is a minimum... For info I have started the XPs with a Golmaxx in 2007 , then I have been using a Deus since 2013  , and I am still learning things with it 7 years after ...A total of 14 years experience with the XPs btw  🙂...

Concerning the Orx settings , when I tested it 2 years ago I used the COIN FAST mode , changing the frequency depending from the iron trash density:

- low/medium iron trash : 14khz
- high iron trash : 29khz

And I agree,  the elliptical HF is an excellent coil  , better than the 9 round in the irons , certainly the best one of the XP coil set in the iron trash..

The Simplex is a good detector with a good audio , but frankly when you have been using an ultra light machine like the Orx/Deus for years it is very difficult ,say impossible ( at least for me ) to come back to a machine which is almost twice heavier ( 750 vs 1400g ) ....  And as Chase said , the Simplex is monofrequency limited to 12khz. It is ok for medium / big coins hunting , but too low for searching very small coins ( sometimes less than 1g ) that we have over here ... 

Hope that helps .. HH ..

• Like 5

I have just used it 3 times so i haven't really played with it yet. Have run coin fast and coin deep and in my ground if i find a coin in coin deep that is 6-8  inches deep and switch over to coin fast it won't pick it up. I hunt park lawns and vacant lots here in northern Nevada so there is not a lot of iron but pull tabs and various other common trash. So, if i am hunting lawns that don't have a lot of trash will the 9 inch round work better and go deeper than the elliptical HF coil? Thanks

• Like 1

So, Nevada (some iron/salt mineralization) and mostly aluminum trash. The ground itself will likely mask targets and the amount of aluminum present will potentially mask targets for sure.

I have not enjoyed using the ORX in its limited 3 tone coin modes with any coil in modern aluminum trashed areas. I can't say I even enjoy using the Deus in that situation. That doesn't mean I won't use them in modern aluminum/higher mineralization, it is just a lot harder for me to deal with mid-conductor target recognition using the Deus and especially the ORX. You will have a better chance of isolating targets with the elliptical coil due to its size. Personally, in Rocky Mountain US mineralized dirt I have had better luck in modern aluminum trash with frequencies over 18 kHz on the ORX and Deus but that is just my experience in my very variable dirt. You can check the mineralization with both the Simplex and ORX. If your mineralization bars are half or more full........good luck getting much depth with accurate target IDs which makes hunting in aluminum trash even more of a challenge.

So, personally I do better in aluminum trash here in Denver with the Simplex. That doesn't make a lot of sense with it running at 12 kHz, but its SP24 coil and its audio, iron volume adjustments and its excellent Park 1 program are just better than the ORX Coin programs in my opinion and I have hundreds of hours on both detectors. Sure the ORX is lighter, but at least for me I have more of a grasp of what is under the coil using the Simplex in aluminum trash.

That said, if you want to relic hunt or gold prospect in your area, the ORX is an excellent relic detector in ground with very little modern aluminum trash. It is an outstanding gold prospecting detector for shallower, smaller nuggets in its Gold modes.

Monte Berry (Monte on this forum) has even more hours and experience than me on the ORX and Simplex. He may add to this thread if he sees it. If not you can send him a private message and he will give you some great tips.

• Like 4

In mild dirt the 9”X35 would be deeper. In mineralized dirt……..who knows. I have the 9” HF coil and used to own the 9”X35. For reasons that I cannot explain, the HF coil on similar frequencies (14 and 28) was deeper and more sensitive to small, poorly oriented targets using either the ORX in its Coin Fast and Deep programs or the Deus Fast program. The Simplex using its stock 11” coil was deeper than either XP coil. 

Deeper in my case meant that these detectors would hit 6 to 8” non-ferrous targets. They would not come close to identifying them correctly however other than to give high conductor target IDs in the 90s and high tones or no ID on deep non-ferrous targets.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, oldcoinhunter said:

Yea, I've made some deep finds with the stock coil on the Simplex. 

Detecting in clean soils and in iron/alu trashed soils are two very different things .

- If you look for depth in clean soils then a low freq (5 to 12khz) machine like the Simplex or a multi freq machine ( ML Vanquish/Equinox etc ) is recommended, they can detect a big coin up to 12 inches in clean soil.

- If you are in the trash , the separation/reactivity is more important than the depth. Then a higher freq , very reactive machine with an excellent iron filtering like the Deus/Orx , a Teknetics T2/G2 , an Apex or some Tesoros etc will do the best job . I agree I prefer the Deus vs the Orx because of the tones limited to 3 on the Orx.

From my standpoint I use a Deus HF ( elliptical and round 9i ) and sometimes an Apex for the trashed sites and a Vanquish 540 V10 or V12 for searching medium/big coins at depth in cleaner soils. The right tool for the right job ...🙂 

All this applies for European conditions , in the US of course it may be a little different because of the different targets/soils/trash...

A picture of yesterdays outing with my Deus HF , this was in the iron trash ;

DSC02880.JPG

• Like 5

There are smaller coils for the simplex that will do better in trash than the stock coil.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By ls4s
      Does anyone know if other wireles headphones are compatable with the simplex metal detector
    • By phrunt
      I've struggled to like my Simplex since getting it, I guess it's totally my fault as I expected more from it than it should and could provide for a detector in it's price range I guess.  It's loaded with great features and build quality is fantastic but the performance of it was rather lacking for what I use detectors for and that's finding deep silver coins in mild soil, a situation where the Simplex really doesn't do well in it's standard setup., I admit I've not tried a bigger coil than the stock coil on it although other detectors with that same size coil do better by comparison and even older cheaper detectors do better than it with their stock setups at that task.
      I've heard a lot of people say where the Simplex does well is sorting out good stuff from trash, some saying it's better or equal to high end detectors at this task so I thought I'd try it out in a rather unusual situation of digging the trash (nails) and leaving everything else.
      I have another block of land behind my house that used to have an old house on it that was burnt down some time ago in a accidental fire before I bought the land, when I first started detecting I found a number of reasonably shallow old coins in this area, I suspect it was someones coin collection that lived in the house as they were unusual coins from all over the world and in good condition like they'd not been in the ground all that long, they cleaned up well.  These were mostly found with my T2 which I find amazingly similar to the Simplex in performance.
      I've recently killed all the grass off an area on that land and leveled it as it was a bit lumpy as it's only had sheep on it the past few years before I started clearing it and planting a bunch of fruit trees.  The idea was to use this part of the land that I've cleared off grass for a parking spot for a caravan which I believe Americans call a trailer? once I get gravel compressed down on it.
      I first marched out there and tried to use my CTX 3030 and the thing drove me nuts, I don't understand it enough to deal with the mess of targets in the area from the old house being demolished I guess.  I tried the Nox with Coiltek 10x5" coil and it was easier for me to understand as I've used it to death, although there is so much trash here I just wanted to get rid of any old nails that could give the caravan a puncture, so just shallow nails and the Nox was rather annoying with the various target ID's all over the place for many targets and nothing was a reliable dig me I'm a nail guaranteed.
      Then it hit me people talking about the Simplex in high trash.  So I fired it up, and to my surprise with the sensitivity on really low in the Park 1 I was able to cruise over the area and dig up nail after nail easily, no confusion as to what was a nail at all, the ID'd as 4 every single time.  Nice solid 4's.  It made it so easy to clear the area of nails.

So the Simplex nailed it 😛  I left anything deeper in the ground only wanting to recover the shallow targets that were at risk of going into a tire.
      Unfortunately during the process I didn't hit any ID's that were exciting enough to think they were a good coin but I really found the Simplex really quick and easy to target the shallow depth nails with accuracy in among all the other junk in this area.  If I get bored I'll experiment more and dig other ID's of shallow targets and see what I've missed.
      I know it's a bit of a pointless post, but I just found it cool how easy and effective the Simplex was for the task and every single nail in that photo came up an ID 4 even though they're different size nails and some bent and some straight.  The big metal things I dug as I just wanted to see what they were 😛
      I must say the Simplex tones are horrible, on these nails it sounded like I was murdering a chicken.
    • By Rick N. MI
      Just wondering when the SMF comes out.
    • By w.j.mccrary
      I bought a 2.68 Simplex its a new one ,however I am being told that I cannot use a 8.5" or 9.5" coils unless I upgrade to  2.77 or 2.78 .Is this true?Thanks William
    • By Rick N. MI
      I buried a 3.7 grams 14k Gold ring at 14" in the sand at a beach on a lake. The ground is mild.
      I went over the sand with 0 disc to make sure it was clean.
      Setting were sensitivity 96, recovery 2 and disc at 7.
      I went over the ring with 3 tone, 4 tone and gold 1.
      3 tone & 4 tone hit it very good. I was surprised 3 tone hit good.
      Gold 1 was a very soft hit.
      All the frequencies 14 khz to 54 khz hit it.
      This spring I'll be hunting in the water with it.

• By abenson
      I recently picked up a Garrett Ace Apex with 3 coils for a very good price locally. This is the second one I have owned. I spent the last few weeks doing some indoor and outdoor tests as well as some park hunting to get reacquainted with it.
      I stated on the Garrett forum that I would give the Apex another chance and do some infield testing against the Equinox and Simplex and report back. I had a chance to spend about 5 hours at a relic site over the weekend and do just that.
      The site has had mixed usage since the late 1850’s and includes Military artifacts as well as more modern house site items. The site has been hammered over the last 6 decades and so I thought it would be the perfect test. Ground is 4-5 bars on the F75 and is for the most part loaded with iron except farther out where we will usually just find fired .58 cal bullets, shotgun and .22 brass.
      I started with the Apex 8.5 x 11 coil out where we usually just find bullets running MF, custom program where everything is accepted over 20 and sensitivity all the way up. My goal was to just see if I could find bullets, no comparisons were done. I quickly found out the sensitivity was too high as I got a lot of false signals and chased a few ghost signals. Once turned down 1 bar the Apex ran smooth. I managed to find 4 .58 cal bullets and a few .22 and shotgun brass. Deepest bullet was 6 inches and was a very jumpy signal. I’ve done a video in the past digging bullets with the Apex in this same area if you want to see it you can find it in the Garrett forum. It’s under 10 things I like and 5 I don’t like about the Apex. Unlike the Equinox in this same area, the Apex has a real hard time identifying deep large targets vs small .22 brass. The signals are jumpy in both regards and hard to determine depth.
      Next I moved to an area close by that has produced quite a few buttons and dropped bullets in the past. The area is very trashy in places with glass shards and square nails. I used the Equinox 800 with the 11” coil running Park 1, 50 tones, iron bias F2 0, recovery 4, Multi and sensitivity 22. The Equinox 600 can be setup exactly the same way. I proceeded to mark 8 targets that came in at as low as 1 up to the highest being 15 on the Equinox. All of these targets were located in the trashy areas. The Simplex 11” coil Park 2 was able to see all but 2 targets, one being a small pewter button about 3 inches deep the other being a fired percussion cap also about 3 inches deep. The Apex 8.5 x 11 coil unfortunately was only able to see 2 targets. The first being a large pewter button maybe and 1 inch deep the other being a fired percussion cap on the surface. A small Navy cuff button laying on the surface (that only read 1 on the Equinox) was surprising invisible to the Apex. Granted there were a lot of iron signals around it.
      Last area, the house site. This time I started with the Simplex 11” coil running park 2. Now I know what some of you are going to say. Why use the larger coils in trashy sites? I wanted to see what the stock coils would do, I consider the 8.5 x 11 the stock coil for the Garrett machines. Yes I may have gotten better results with the Apex using a smaller coil. Anyway, I located and marked 4 targets with the Simplex. The Equinox was able to see all 4 but did struggle with one, all explain in a minute. The Apex was able to see 3 out of the 4, but was totally blind to the one the Equinox struggled with. Target 1 was a modern penny about 1 inch deep and was not a problem for any of the detectors. Target 2 was a small piece of decorative brass about 2 inches deep which all the detectors saw. But the Apex numbers were all over the place where as the Equinox was a solid 14 and the Simplex a solid 44. Target 3 turned out to be a 1929 S wheat penny at 5 inches deep. The Simplex read 66-68 and could get the signal as I rotated all the way around it. The Equinox struggled, first direction I tried got nothing but iron grunts. But as I rotated around it, I started to get a choppy signal that would bounce up to about 17. The Apex got nothing but iron grunts no matter what I tried. Signal 4 turned out to be a 1946 dime at about 3 inches and was a good solid signal on all the detectors. I also located 2 old clay marbles while I was walking around the house site.
      In a relic hunting scenario, the Equinox and Simplex have a clear advantage over the Apex. The Apex likes round objects and does the best on them and has a fairly accurate ID. Odd shapes are not it’s strong point for sure. But for someone who only wants to dig coins, it could be great. I will also say that of the 3 the Apex was most comfortable to swing and I think I like the wireless headphones the best on the Apex.
      In the future I plan to take the same 3 machines to a ghost town and the beach to see how they stack up against each other. I will say that the more I use the Simplex the more I see just how great a value this machine is. For the money you can’t beat it.