Simplex Vs XP Orx For Coins In Trash

Been using the Simplex with the SP 24 for a year now and have done really well with it, especially in trashy areas. Just won an xp orx which came with the hf elliptical coil and I just ordered a 9 inch x 35 coil. Detected a couple of places with the orx and it doesn’t seem to separate out the trash that is close to a coin like the Simplex. I’m wondering if the x35 coil I’m getting  can be setup to do as well as the simplex in trashy areas. Thank, Jim

• Like 2

What ORX settings are you using, especially in regards to reactivity and frequency?  Higher reactivity settings and higher frequencies tend to aid in separation.  The Simplex frequency is fixed (other than slight offsets) and recovery speed which primarily determines a detector’s ability to separate targets, cannot be adjusted independent of the modes.  On the ORX, Coins Fast is your best mode if you are looking for decent separation (also, that elliptical coil is superior to the round X35 coils, in this regard, simply because the smaller footprint limits the number of targets that can be under the coil at any time).  

When you are referring to trash, are you talking ferrous or non ferrous trash?  It makes a difference.  XP detectors (ORX and Deus) are great in iron.  However, the fixed 3 tone setup of the ORX really limits its ability to distinguish aluminum trash from keeper gold jewelry or nickels.  The Deus full tones feature really makes non-ferrous junk stand out from mid-conductive keeper targets like gold and nickels.

You should also experiment with the gold modes for coin shooting.  The audio takes some getting used to especially since all metal targets will be picked up.  But Gold mode really helps you separate targets in the ground, the caveat being the pitched based audio requires more reliance on visual indicated target ID.

Finally, if you are detecting in areas with a lot of iron junk, consider lowering sensitivity into the 80’s, these keeps the shallow and big iron from overwhelming the detector so partially masked keepers can stand out better.  This approach is not very effective in areas with high concentrations of non-ferrous (e.g., aluminum) trash.

HTH

• Like 5

4 hours ago, oldcoinhunter said:

Been using the Simplex with the SP 24 for a year now and have done really well with it, especially in trashy areas. Just won an xp orx which came with the hf elliptical coil and I just ordered a 9 inch x 35 coil. Detected a couple of places with the orx and it doesn’t seem to separate out the trash that is close to a coin like the Simplex. I’m wondering if the x35 coil I’m getting  can be setup to do as well as the simplex in trashy areas. Thank, Jim

In Europe and especially in France we have iron trash almost everywhere because of 2000+ years of history. And the Deus / Orx are by far the most popular detectors over here , the same in England from what I have heard. But it takes time to learn machines like the Deus/Orx , you need several months to learn its audio , and it is a minimum... For info I have started the XPs with a Golmaxx in 2007 , then I have been using a Deus since 2013  , and I am still learning things with it 7 years after ...A total of 14 years experience with the XPs btw  🙂...

Concerning the Orx settings , when I tested it 2 years ago I used the COIN FAST mode , changing the frequency depending from the iron trash density:

- low/medium iron trash : 14khz
- high iron trash : 29khz

And I agree,  the elliptical HF is an excellent coil  , better than the 9 round in the irons , certainly the best one of the XP coil set in the iron trash..

The Simplex is a good detector with a good audio , but frankly when you have been using an ultra light machine like the Orx/Deus for years it is very difficult ,say impossible ( at least for me ) to come back to a machine which is almost twice heavier ( 750 vs 1400g ) ....  And as Chase said , the Simplex is monofrequency limited to 12khz. It is ok for medium / big coins hunting , but too low for searching very small coins ( sometimes less than 1g ) that we have over here ... 

Hope that helps .. HH ..

• Like 5

I have just used it 3 times so i haven't really played with it yet. Have run coin fast and coin deep and in my ground if i find a coin in coin deep that is 6-8  inches deep and switch over to coin fast it won't pick it up. I hunt park lawns and vacant lots here in northern Nevada so there is not a lot of iron but pull tabs and various other common trash. So, if i am hunting lawns that don't have a lot of trash will the 9 inch round work better and go deeper than the elliptical HF coil? Thanks

• Like 1

So, Nevada (some iron/salt mineralization) and mostly aluminum trash. The ground itself will likely mask targets and the amount of aluminum present will potentially mask targets for sure.

I have not enjoyed using the ORX in its limited 3 tone coin modes with any coil in modern aluminum trashed areas. I can't say I even enjoy using the Deus in that situation. That doesn't mean I won't use them in modern aluminum/higher mineralization, it is just a lot harder for me to deal with mid-conductor target recognition using the Deus and especially the ORX. You will have a better chance of isolating targets with the elliptical coil due to its size. Personally, in Rocky Mountain US mineralized dirt I have had better luck in modern aluminum trash with frequencies over 18 kHz on the ORX and Deus but that is just my experience in my very variable dirt. You can check the mineralization with both the Simplex and ORX. If your mineralization bars are half or more full........good luck getting much depth with accurate target IDs which makes hunting in aluminum trash even more of a challenge.

So, personally I do better in aluminum trash here in Denver with the Simplex. That doesn't make a lot of sense with it running at 12 kHz, but its SP24 coil and its audio, iron volume adjustments and its excellent Park 1 program are just better than the ORX Coin programs in my opinion and I have hundreds of hours on both detectors. Sure the ORX is lighter, but at least for me I have more of a grasp of what is under the coil using the Simplex in aluminum trash.

That said, if you want to relic hunt or gold prospect in your area, the ORX is an excellent relic detector in ground with very little modern aluminum trash. It is an outstanding gold prospecting detector for shallower, smaller nuggets in its Gold modes.

Monte Berry (Monte on this forum) has even more hours and experience than me on the ORX and Simplex. He may add to this thread if he sees it. If not you can send him a private message and he will give you some great tips.

• Like 4

In mild dirt the 9”X35 would be deeper. In mineralized dirt……..who knows. I have the 9” HF coil and used to own the 9”X35. For reasons that I cannot explain, the HF coil on similar frequencies (14 and 28) was deeper and more sensitive to small, poorly oriented targets using either the ORX in its Coin Fast and Deep programs or the Deus Fast program. The Simplex using its stock 11” coil was deeper than either XP coil. 

Deeper in my case meant that these detectors would hit 6 to 8” non-ferrous targets. They would not come close to identifying them correctly however other than to give high conductor target IDs in the 90s and high tones or no ID on deep non-ferrous targets.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, oldcoinhunter said:

Yea, I've made some deep finds with the stock coil on the Simplex. 

Detecting in clean soils and in iron/alu trashed soils are two very different things .

- If you look for depth in clean soils then a low freq (5 to 12khz) machine like the Simplex or a multi freq machine ( ML Vanquish/Equinox etc ) is recommended, they can detect a big coin up to 12 inches in clean soil.

- If you are in the trash , the separation/reactivity is more important than the depth. Then a higher freq , very reactive machine with an excellent iron filtering like the Deus/Orx , a Teknetics T2/G2 , an Apex or some Tesoros etc will do the best job . I agree I prefer the Deus vs the Orx because of the tones limited to 3 on the Orx.

From my standpoint I use a Deus HF ( elliptical and round 9i ) and sometimes an Apex for the trashed sites and a Vanquish 540 V10 or V12 for searching medium/big coins at depth in cleaner soils. The right tool for the right job ...🙂 

All this applies for European conditions , in the US of course it may be a little different because of the different targets/soils/trash...

A picture of yesterdays outing with my Deus HF , this was in the iron trash ;

DSC02880.JPG

• Like 5

There are smaller coils for the simplex that will do better in trash than the stock coil.

• Like 3