New Permissions Didn't Yield Much

Got an opportunity to visit a couple of places recently, hoped they'd be a bit better but the prospect was exciting anyway. I got in touch with Chase and invited him down, these are supposedly un-hunted places.

The first one was pretty clean, we didn't find much of anything. Huge field over 30 acres. It had been "turbo-tilled" so it was easy to hunt after a corn harvest but possibly because of that method of tilling the only thing we heard for the most part was deep iron. Theory is the soil was "fluffed" up with air making any targets deeper. We hacked around there for about 3 hours, and the finds bags got heavy with iron so we quit and went up the road to another permission, a farm where a farmhouse that was taken down in the 80s along with 4 outbuildings stood.20211003_132412.thumb.jpg.c44c7ab31259bb550db4898128d1a2ac.jpg

Chase is somewhere out there... 😀

It was an extremely trashy site, lots of iron and shotgun shells, so we sorta just coin shot it. I heard and saw just about every signal from -9 to 40 on the Equinox. Very difficult!

By the end of the day (it got to 84) I managed to pull some stuff out, my trash was plumbing and steel, 2 toasted matchbox cars (China) and a pretty mangled cap gun. Here are the keepers:

20211004_141816.thumb.jpg.503ac81a8bc992a44d4cc16a97b0fd27.jpg

2 clad dimes, 1979 and 1980, two memorials from the 70s, and two wheats, a 1952 and a 1911. One aluminum button from the prior site, and a small iron disc that long ago lost its identifying characteristics. I kept it just because it was round.20211004_140404.thumb.jpg.0973b2c19e345f2633ab561562fdda76.jpg

my favorite find was a vintage Montgomery Ward Credit Protection key fob, ca. 1940s. It's bronze, and was hit by a lawnmower but it I straightened it out.20211004_181420.thumb.jpg.9c1cfc51f66889688edc4db1e1fcf480.jpg

Never knew the first credit cards were coins.

Going back to this site soon, there's gotta be some silver there. At least the penny is over 100 years old.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Uh, they didn't have Zip Codes in the 1940's.  (Mid-60's was their creation.   Prior to that some large metro areas has single digit 'zone' codes.)  A neat find, but not as old as you (or I) had hoped.

Homesites are tough.  If you compare them to parks, how many years of a few people dropping things can be compared to years of many people dropping things?  A big advantage of permissions is they are way less likely to have been previously detected.  And when they produce they can sure give up some goodies!  I think the two Wheaties are an indication of what could have been and might still be there.  I hope you have more chances at that site.

How many person-hours of detecting give a site justice?  IMO it's closer to 100 than 10.  Time is our biggest asset/liability.  And the older we get the more we realize that....

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Time is our biggest asset/liability.  And the older we get the more we realize that....

... We don't have enough time. 😀 Thanks GB, I meant to correct that error, thought something was wrong with my assertion.

This place is about 40 minutes from my house, so revisiting it as long as I am able is not a problem. May throw my fancy lawnmower on my trailer and cut the grass! It's a large circle in the middle of a cornfield. I have an aerial from 1967 that clearly shows a large house and 4 out buildings with a fifth near the road. We hunted around but the cornfield is difficult. More to come for sure.

That address is now occupied by a hotel.

• Like 3

This is a great place for the Coiltek 10x5. Not only is searching the corn rows difficult and would be almost ridiculous with the stock coil or larger, but the sheer amount of trash in the ground is surely masking good finds. I found one of the wheats on top of the ground. If there is any non-iron signal here on a sweep it would be worth digging, but it's going to take a lot of digging. It was not very breezy and full sun, 84 degrees. Next week will be cooler.

• Like 1

Hey F350, CVISChris here using my alias because I messed something up when the forum was down.  May not be the greatest finds for you but fun nonetheless right?  The heat sucks but that’s what hats and sweatbands are for.  I’m sure you will pull something cool out of there.  I enjoy reading all your posts so keep at it. 

• Like 4

I second that, Chris-Rock!! Hey, isn't that name already taken by some funny guy!?? 🤔🤣👍👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Joe D. said:

I second that, Chris-Rock!! Hey, isn't that name already taken by some funny guy!?? 🤔🤣👍👍

Hey Rich I am a funny guy.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, ROCKINGCM said:

Hey F350, CVISChris here using my alias because I messed something up when the forum was down.  May not be the greatest finds for you but fun nonetheless right?  The heat sucks but that’s what hats and sweatbands are for.  I’m sure you will pull something cool out of there.  I enjoy reading all your posts so keep at it. 

Thanks Chris, I'm grateful that I find anything. The 1911 wheat penny tells me I'm in or close to Barber era, but the silver isn't gonna jump out without removing a lot of the trash. I wonder sometimes if they sent all the Barbers out west! 😀 I've still got two more unexplored farmhouses to go, and a lot to revisit with greater experience and this great coil. It can really sift through the junk. All the coins I did find were not clear signals at first, nor was my initial understanding of the Equinox.

I use an old Army trick and wear a bandana like I used to wear under my helmet. Not a stranger to sweat 🙂 84 isn't hot like it was in August but there wasn't any shade unless we got behind our vehicles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kac said:

Cool MG Credit Key.

I always imagined Chase to me much taller 🙂

...and younger.

We always manage to have a great time finds or no finds.  Heck, talking up the locals who stopped by to see who was "trespassing" was fun in and of itself.  These sites are just being a little stingy.  Wait till they get to know us...then they'll give it up.  Hmm, now that I've written that it sounds a little tawdry...

• Haha 5