Fisher Has A Lot Of Models Marked Discontinued On Their Site And Teknetics Has 3 Models

Call me pessimistic but has anyone thought maybe they are on the edge of saying goodbye to the "hobby detector" segment?

The T2 I had was a good machine but reached its limit and didn't do well around difficult soils. Struggled with iron a bit too. What really did me in was a site where it could not even be used because of chatter.The T2 was a coin getting rascal in decent soil conditions, and it did well with a smaller coil. That much I will give it. But as the conditions got harder it nose-dived.

But seriously, after all these years why can't they do something different than the re-mark and re-package game. Maybe they just don't care anymore. Why dink around with little low-end and lower priced units when they can sell a few of the more expensive models.. I don't expect to see anything interesting out of them anytime soon.

1 hour ago, RobNC said:

Call me pessimistic but has anyone thought maybe they are on the edge of saying goodbye to the "hobby detector" segment?

The T2 I had was a good machine but reached its limit and didn't do well around difficult soils. Struggled with iron a bit too. What really did me in was a site where it could not even be used because of chatter.The T2 was a coin getting rascal in decent soil conditions, and it did well with a smaller coil. That much I will give it. But as the conditions got harder it nose-dived.

But seriously, after all these years why can't they do something different than the re-mark and re-package game. Maybe they just don't care anymore. Why dink around with little low-end and lower priced units when they can sell a few of the more expensive models.. I don't expect to see anything interesting out of them anytime soon.

I hope you're wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if you're right.

They also need a whole new line of better coils. I was happy with the Fisher concentric coils back in the old days but the Fisher/Teknetics DD coils have been poor performers from the start.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

They also need a whole new line of better coils. I was happy with the Fisher concentric coils back in the old days but the Fisher/Teknetics DD coils have been poor performers from the start.

I agree with you. The cables they use leave a bit to be desired. The prices they charge for the factory coils vs. quality of the coil is not matching. NEL makes good coils, that much I learned. The T2 with a NEL Snake/ Cors Shrew coil is a cherry picking machine. It has its limits in depth but separation with that coil and sensitivity to small targets surpasses anything else I've ever used.

Something like the Cors Shrew/NEL Snake coil for an Equinox... now that would be something.

Again I feel the strength of Teknetics/Fisher machines are good availability of aftermarket coils.

• Like 2

I had SEF coils on both my T2 and F-75 and was amazed at the difference in performance over the stock coils.

• Like 2

I'm glad I'm not the only one that found the FT DD coils useless, I do however love the GB2 concentric coils, they achieved perfection there.  The DD coils for my T2 are what inspired me to try Nel and Mars coils and enjoy the delights of their enhancements over the standard coils and then there was no turning back.  Every opportunity I was getting aftermarket coils for all of my detectors that were capable of running them.  So I guess I can thank FT for making such bad coils as it introduced me to the aftermarket coils 🙂

I did give FT a good chance with my T2, I have the 5", 11" obviously and the 15" concrete coil, the only reasonable coil is the 5" but the Nel of similar size is still better.

• Like 2

If they have another engineer working there then that means R&D is alive and they are working on new models. That is hopeful.

• Like 1

Bring back the I.D. Edge! Yes I'm old school.😍

• Like 3

Today Chris Ralph "the professional prospector" 👍 posted a video in youtube that features someone from Fisher and this person teases about the new detector(s).

Apparently there are two videos. The first is a sit down about detecting. In the second (not yet posted) they will they detecting in the field.

Maybe the guy from Fisher will use a prototype!! Anyway it seems there may be something coming soon! 

At about the 12 minute mark he says some interesting stuff coming from First Texas for the gold market.  I assume the Impulse Gold.

• Like 3