Result Of Leaving Sluices In Dry Wash For 3 Years

Looks like you should find a diamond from the looks of the minerals in the pictures.

Good luck

• Like 2

Yup....I'm going to get back to that hunt next season. I got a little burned out and quit for awhile, but it's time to get back. I've got some pretty good ideas on the search, and tools for it. I'm drawing up a Pleitz jig right now that will be portable, and run on 12v. That'll reduce water use. I also went through my pics of what I call Little Valley, and noticed I'd identified a spot that I thought at the time was the remains of a kimberlite pipe near where I'm finding all the indicators. I need to build a 12v core drill so I can get down a few feet to investigate. Still, thinking on that.

Jim

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

I need to build a 12v core drill so I can get down a few feet to investigate. Still, thinking on that.

The 18volt drills can do it better, but the depth that you are wanting is going to be tough. Grandfather had a drill made from an old car starter that could go through anything that he mounted to some heavy duty handles. Should I be able to find it when I get back home again I will get you some pictures of it.

I suggest try to use a modified weed eater to drill with as they won't use much gas to do it.

• Like 2

Whatever I use is going to require a pretty big reduction drive. I'm going to need some serious torque, because of the depth. Not too worried about speed. The ground I'd be drilling is pretty soft. Might try an auger drill, but using homemade core drills rather than an auger. The starter motor idea is pretty good...thanks! Will still need a reduction ring, and the frame to hold it all together. Just so happens I've got an old starter motor off my Massey diesel tractor. Probably won't get to the drill until late winter. Need to build the P.jig, and then I've got to remodel one bedroom on the house, and still have plans to head down to Winnemucca for some nugget hunting this fall...assuming the weather allows it.

14 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Whatever I use is going to require a pretty big reduction drive. I'm going to need some serious torque, because of the depth. Not too worried about speed.

Locate an old ice cream maker that you don't use anymore and you will have it easily. That will give power at a low speed with high torque.

Good luck

• Like 2

• Steve Herschbach changed the title to Result Of Leaving Sluices In Dry Wash For 3 Years

While not gem related, one of my favorite Youtubers had a series a while back on finding an old sluice box that had been left in an old hydraulic site.... just think of the possibilities...

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      “A California woman discovered a 4.38-carat yellow diamond in Arkansas' Crater of Diamonds State Park last month, the state Parks Department said. Noreen Wredberg, of Granite Bay, California, was visiting Hot Springs National Park with her husband, Michael, when she decided to stop by Crater of Diamonds."I first saw the park featured on a TV show several years ago," Wredberg told the Parks Department. "When I realized we weren't too far away, I knew we had to come!"”
      more at https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/finders-keepers-woman-finds-4-carat-yellow-diamond-national-park-n1280650
    • By Ron Swanson
      Hey everybody, glad to have found your forum here. I'm a woodworker and use various crushed materials including soapstone as inlay substrate in some of my pieces, and I thought I'd venture out into the mineralogy world to see if I might find some advice. I'm in search of new color tones of the blue and green type but I'm unfamiliar with what minerals might be of use to me. Would you have any suggestions for what minerals I might take a look at for future potential color sources? Dark / solid hues tend not to work as well with the natural wood colors, but the medium hues certainly do. A material need not be as soft as soapstone to be useful, just crushable (if that's even a word).

Thanks, I'm all ears!
    • By beatup
      worked up a couple blades of gold sheen obsidian for the local prospecting club to give out in their monthly raffles.                                                                                               Just need to cut some antlers and mount them into the handles.

• By beatup
      Not all of the good stuff that comes out of the ground in Australia is gold one of my favorite rocks is Mookaite a very fine jasper that comes out of western australia ( windalia radiolarite) because you can make things like this with it.

• By IdahoPeg
      Last month I started to get a bit bored with my usual Snowbird gig of bicycling, paddle boarding, beachcombing, etc, so I decided to check out some creeks and the Peace River about 3 hrs west of me. This area was covered by shallow seas millions of years ago, and more recently saw the Ice Ages....so a cool mix of fossils can be found. Here is one of the creeks I hunted(cue the banjo music from “Deliverance” lol):

So you kayak and/or wade in water of various depths looking for gravels in the bottom, then you dig and sift. All this is done in Gator and snake habitat, so one must stay aware of one’s surrounding while working the gravels:

Here’s some of my favorite finds. A fossilized prehistoric bison tooth and a baby Megalodon shark tooth...the Megs are small here, as these shallow seas were the nursery. The next pic has a fossil tortoise leg spur, a crocodile tooth, and 2 extinct Snaggeltooth Shark teeth.

Here’s fossilized stuff from my last hunt....upper left are turtle shell fragments; upper right turtle nuchal bones, a prehistoric tapir tooth, a broken Meg; then a whole bunch of shark teeth.

I think I’ve discovered a new hobby and passion to enjoy while here in Florida half a year! And as a bonus, it’ll help keep me in gold hunting shape for when I’m back out west!😄
    • By GB_Amateur
      https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/19/style/crystals-mining-quartz-herkimer.html?action=click&module=Editors Picks&pgtype=Homepage
      (Author's name is Alexandra Marvar.  Title is: Got Crystals?  Gem Mining Could Be Your Full-Time Job.)  Ugh.  More/less the typical article that makes finding gems sound easier and more profitable than reality.  Besides jewelry applications, they mention the New Age pseudoscience proponents.  (Hey, maybe a good sales opportunity for LRL snake oil peddlers!)  I am cutting and pasting one late quote which many of us can relate to:
      Among those freelancers is Ron Murray, 58, an osteopath in Seattle who mined quartz at Herkimer Diamond Mines from Memorial Day to Labor Day this year.  For his first six years digging crystals, Mr. Murray said he was “too attached” to part with anything he found. But this year, upon returning home to Seattle, he planned to keep the top 5 percent of his harvest, and sell everything else.
      “Very few people can do this,” he said. “It takes stamina. It takes knowledge. It takes masochism.”
      Like many others who share his passion for crystal hunting, he calls it an addiction — one propelled by the unshakable thought that the next pocket of untold treasure may open up on the next swing.