Result Of Leaving Sluices In Dry Wash For 3 Years

Looks like you should find a diamond from the looks of the minerals in the pictures.

Good luck

• Like 2

Yup....I'm going to get back to that hunt next season. I got a little burned out and quit for awhile, but it's time to get back. I've got some pretty good ideas on the search, and tools for it. I'm drawing up a Pleitz jig right now that will be portable, and run on 12v. That'll reduce water use. I also went through my pics of what I call Little Valley, and noticed I'd identified a spot that I thought at the time was the remains of a kimberlite pipe near where I'm finding all the indicators. I need to build a 12v core drill so I can get down a few feet to investigate. Still, thinking on that.

Jim

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

I need to build a 12v core drill so I can get down a few feet to investigate. Still, thinking on that.

The 18volt drills can do it better, but the depth that you are wanting is going to be tough. Grandfather had a drill made from an old car starter that could go through anything that he mounted to some heavy duty handles. Should I be able to find it when I get back home again I will get you some pictures of it.

I suggest try to use a modified weed eater to drill with as they won't use much gas to do it.

• Like 2

Whatever I use is going to require a pretty big reduction drive. I'm going to need some serious torque, because of the depth. Not too worried about speed. The ground I'd be drilling is pretty soft. Might try an auger drill, but using homemade core drills rather than an auger. The starter motor idea is pretty good...thanks! Will still need a reduction ring, and the frame to hold it all together. Just so happens I've got an old starter motor off my Massey diesel tractor. Probably won't get to the drill until late winter. Need to build the P.jig, and then I've got to remodel one bedroom on the house, and still have plans to head down to Winnemucca for some nugget hunting this fall...assuming the weather allows it.

14 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Whatever I use is going to require a pretty big reduction drive. I'm going to need some serious torque, because of the depth. Not too worried about speed.

Locate an old ice cream maker that you don't use anymore and you will have it easily. That will give power at a low speed with high torque.

Good luck

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Result Of Leaving Sluices In Dry Wash For 3 Years