4000 Vs. 4500 Specs - Worth Upgrading?

Reno bob

Hey all, still have a gpx 4000 I bought from AK M&D. Guess it's time for an upgrade. My Question is does the 4500 have enough improvements to justify the upgrade

• 2 weeks later...

Not per se, as a 4500 is essentially a refined 4000, and in general use you may see no real difference. It would just depend on your very specific circumstances.

In addition to the four timings found on the GPX 4000, the GPX 4500 introduced two new timings: Enhance and Sharp.

The Sharp timing is more suited to quieter soils and can also be used as an aid to pinpoint faint signals. If you are hunting milder ground, the GPX 4500 Sharp timing may give you a definite edge over the GPX 4000, in that it is even more powerful than the Normal timings. I used this setting a lot in Alaska in particular, and based on it alone I’d personally buy a 4500 over a 4000 any time.

The Enhance timing is a powerful feature, similar to the Sensitive Smooth timing, but providing an improvement in the depth and signal response on small and large targets alike, striking a balance between Sensitive Smooth and Sensitive Extra or Normal. With the GPX 4000, it was found that a lot of mineralized ground was not quite bad enough to require the use of Sensitive Smooth, but was still mineralized enough to be difficult to work using Sensitive Extra or Normal. It was felt that a timing was needed that performed similar to Smooth, but had improved depth and signal response. By testing in a wide range of ground conditions, the Enhance timing was found to give significant depth improvements over Smooth, particularly on larger gold, while still canceling the majority of false signals from hotrocks, clay domes and other ground effects. 

https://www.detectorprospector.com/magazine/steves-guides/minelab-gpx-4000-4500-5000-manuals-timing-charts/

minelab-gpx-4500-timings-comparison.jpg

• Like 4

• The title was changed to 4000 Vs. 4500 Specs - Worth Upgrading?

Mr. Reno Bob;

The guy that posted the above seems to know a little bit about what he is writing about so read it twice and ask question.

the GPX4000 has been and still is my trusted battle ax with nugget blood all over it. I like the 4500 but I like the 5000 more better. If buying used the price difference is not that much.

• Like 1

Good point Norm. I tend to address the questions directly, but fact is if it was me, I'd get the GPX 5000, as the be all and and all of that particular series. I still could use a second PI to handle rocks and ground a GPX 6000 struggles with, but I keep holding out for something newer than the GPX 5000. But so far Fisher is letting me down with the Impulse Gold, and I'd not go back to a 7 lb ATX, so GPX 5000 it would have to be if I was buying that alternate machine today.

I owned a 4500 for a few years, then got a shoulder injury and had to go back to a lighter VLF machine....first a GB2, then a 24K. After surgery and healing, I decided to mod my 4500 and wow!...what a difference. Ive now found 3x as much gold as I did before it was modded. Since using it again last Sept, my 4500 has found me 721 bits of gold weighing over 5.6oz. No way in a million years would I bother with an unmodded 4000 now. My next step up is a 6000 though 😏

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Elijah said:

What modifications have you made to your 4500?

I got the transmit gain mod plus the multi-frequency select mod done. Included are heaps of upgraded other components also. In the high frequency setting, I can detect 0.05gm bits when using either a small bundle-wound mono (NF Sadie, CT Joey etc) or my Fave the 9" Elite flat-wound coil. The NF 12x8 flat-wound is also incredibly good. The more solid sub-grammers can be heard at up to 12" deep. The major 2 benefits are that you can alter BOTH  the transmit AND receive gain to make the detector super quiet so that tiny or soft signals can be heard (without EMI induced warbly threshold) and the operation frequency can be adjusted to suit the coil size you're using. I use the high frequency predominantly unless I put on a big coil for deeper gold, if I already know its there. My 4500 was modded by Detectronics.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Aureous said:

Я получил модуль усиления передачи плюс мод многочастотного выбора. Включены также кучи обновленных других компонентов. При настройке высоких частот я могу обнаружить биты 0,05 г при использовании либо небольшого моно с жгутом (NF Sadie, CT Joey и т. Д.), Либо моей Fave the 9 "Elite с плоской обмоткой. NF 12x8 с плоской обмоткой также невероятно хорошо. Более твердые субграммы можно услышать на глубине до 12 дюймов. Два основных преимущества заключаются в том, что вы можете изменять как усиление передачи, так и усиление приема, чтобы детектор был очень тихим, чтобы можно было слышать крошечные или тихие сигналы (без порога шума, индуцированного электромагнитными помехами), а рабочую частоту можно отрегулировать в соответствии с размером катушки. Пользуюсь. Я использую преимущественно высокую частоту, если только я не поставлю большую катушку для более глубокого золота, если я уже знаю, что она там есть. Мой 4500 был модифицирован компанией Detectronics.

what modifications are possible for the 4500 to see larger objects deeper with coils 25" 26" and larger? and will the device behave stably? because on the Detectronics YouTube channel their devices behave disgustingly

• Like 1