Farmhouse Revisit - Coins, Different Stuff (updated)

Always nice to start the day with a keeper find.  It's all gravy after that.  Is the Smokey the Bear token made of aluminum?  Did you find it in gravel or crushed stone?  (Looks like it's lived a hard life.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Always nice to start the day with a keeper find.  It's all gravy after that.  Is the Smokey the Bear token made of aluminum?  Did you find it in gravel or crushed stone?  (Looks like it's lived a hard life.)

Ha, like the Hoover Boys say, "it's an episode". Noticed they all use the Equinox now.

It's aluminum, and is reeded. As I recall it was where the house stood, I guess it got mangled like the Girl scout pin by heavy machinery.

• Like 4

If it was a fire, it either burned by accident! Or was probably a Tennant house, torn down with all the junk inside, and burned in a pile!! Saw several in Georgia go like that, over the years, after sitting vacant, and more field needed! Especially since the rolling irrigation systems took over there!!

At least some interesting finds! And alot🥵 of work!!👍👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

If it was a fire, it either burned by accident! Or was probably a Tennant house, torn down with all the junk inside, and burned in a pile!! Saw several in Georgia go like that, over the years, after sitting vacant, and more field needed! Especially since the rolling irrigation systems took over there!!

At least some interesting finds! And alot🥵 of work!!👍👍

Thanks Joe, half the fun for me is the identification. I sure have a lot of places to look. Hope this isn't too run of the mill. 🤔

• Like 1

No way man!!!😁, love to hear your stories/finds!!

Something else i thought of too, was alot of people used to burn their trash! So could be a combination of several things on a single site! Not uncommon after many decades of habitation!👍👍

• Like 4

Well, I guess you really earned that Indian.  Lots of work but the chance of finding something good is there.  Nice truck!  We have a 2017 F250 and it’s a beast.  Diesel here is running 4.50 to 5 bucks a gallon.  California is killer on the wallet.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ROCKINGCM said:

Well, I guess you really earned that Indian.  Lots of work but the chance of finding something good is there.  Nice truck!  We have a 2017 F250 and it’s a beast.  Diesel here is running 4.50 to 5 bucks a gallon.  California is killer on the wallet.  

Thanks! It's a 2015. For sure it serves me well. Diesel hit 3.25 a gallon here, I was paying 2.95 a couple weeks ago. 😵 Guess it's all relative.

These farmhouses are very difficult, they don't cleanly haul them away. If they burn it's even worse. Nails and junk everywhere. I got a 30 on the Equinox, thought I had a quarter, and pulled 3 feet of copper tubing out of the ground. I'm sure your camps are similar! Wish I'd find better stuff, I merely amuse myself with the unusual. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Whatever works to keep you in the hobby, and keep the mind and body sharp!👍👍

• Like 3

Aluminum slag could be just burned beer cans, usually you get other slag from old burned buildings like tin and copper. Not an easy task digging around that kind of trash. Nice IH.

• Like 3