Miracles Do Happen - Arrow 4" X 18" DD Coil From Detech

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Would it really kill them to let us have access to coils?

Apparently, yes. I don't know how or why, but Minelab has some reason for handling coils the way they do...right?

There's much more to the CTX coil electronics, it's the most complex of ML's range. As well as the usual pre-amplifier and 'security microprocessor' , there's also an accelerometer on the circuit board. This will let the control-box know which way the coil is sweeping, and how quickly. The sweep direction is used in one of the 'display modes' where it shows multiple targets during a sweep, correctly positioned in sequence. As for sweep speed, it's a guessing game: detectors use band-pass filters to enhance the up-down nature of a target signal. This is normally fixed ( about 8 Hz I think ), and the user learns what the optimum sweep speed is to match the filter. If the machine can measure the sweep speed, it could in theory adapt its filtering to match the user. Other potential uses could be reduction of false signals at the end of each sweep. Whether these techniques are used or not is unknown.
( the accelerometer is probably a digital output device, and the micro's main purpose is to read it's output and sent it to the control-box. Security/anti-piracy features are a secondary function )
  • Like 4

On 10/8/2021 at 3:08 PM, mh9162013 said:

I mostly coinshoot with my AT Max, so I'm definitely interested!

But I wonder if the AT Coil will work for the AT Max?

Garrett says all (or most?) of their AT coils are interchangeable among all 3 of their AT detectors. But as for third party coils, they can't say for sure either way. NEL says their AT Pro coils won't work for the AT Max. But according to metaldetector.com, their AT series coils seem to be largely interchangeable among the Max, Pro and Gold.

Usually all at series coils are compatible but you do have to do a factory reset when changing coils on them. Not sure why they would have separate versions unless there was minor tweaks but you could ask.

On 10/8/2021 at 3:13 PM, phrunt said:

Right. Time to get an Etrac

Really no point in getting an eTrac, Simon, if you have a CTX which makes me wonder why the CTX didn't make the Arrow list.  Probably just an oversight on the pre-release listing.  I'm sure one will be available for it.

I have an F75, G2+, and MXT - I will get one of these coils but need to figure out which of the 3 above will be the lucky recipient.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Really no point in getting an eTrac, Simon, if you have a CTX which makes me wonder why the CTX didn't make the Arrow list.  Probably just an oversight on the pre-release listing.  I'm sure one will be available for it.

I have an F75, G2+, and MXT - I will get one of these coils but need to figure out which of the 3 above will be the lucky recipient.

It is a tough decision which detector to buy the coil for, if it was available for the Nox it'd be a no brainer, thanks Minelab.

A guy nearby was selling his E-trac for a very cheap price, Vanquish low end sort of money.  It only had the stock coil and it had a broken coil ear which is why he was selling I guess.  I wasn't too worried about that as I'd try fix it plus as being a detector with aftermarket options I'd be buying one straight away anyway. 

My choices without buying a new detector to suit are the T2, GBP, Ace 300 or AT Gold.

As the coil is likely best for smaller shallow targets and recent drops of jewellery it's probably best I get it for either the AT Gold or Gold Bug Pro.  I'm torn on which of those detectors I like best, my modified GBP with the switch to flick between disc and all metal is very handy and it gives good Target ID stability which I appreciate a lot.  My AT Gold seems good, nice and resistant to EMI like the Bug, very good on small targets at least equal to the GBP but so far I only have the stock coil for it so comparing to my GBP the Target ID stability isn't as good.  I ordered a Mars Tiger for it but it never arrived and I ended up getting a refund from Paypal for that so I just don't know how it compares to the GBP on target ID stability as I haven't got comparable coils for the two.   I'm not really comparing like for like especially on deeper coins where the GBP has the Detech Ultimate and does very well and the AT Gold has the 5x8" stock coil are does poorly, worse than the GBP with the 5x10" Fisher coil which is slightly bigger so I guess should do slighter better.   The biggest benefit to the AT Gold + Detech coil would be I could use it in the water without worrying about drowning my detector.

That's my biggest conundrum, detecting which detector would benefit the most from this coil, maybe someone with more knowledge than me could help with that decision.

It's a shame it won't be available for the Simplex also, I'm yet to find a purpose for that detector.  I believe Nokta have made it so it's a bit difficult for aftermarket manufacturers to make coils for it, which is why Nel is taking so long to release their Simplex coils.

• Like 1

I've held onto my White's DFX even though I haven't used it much the past 5 years.  Maybe this new coil is the reason?  I definitely look forward to some reports from users in the field.  This coil definitely looks great for wide open field cherry-picking.  I swing the Equinox 800 now for coin hunting.  If only a similar coil were also built for that machine.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I’m definitely interested in comparing one of these on my F19 against the cleansweep on my Mojave. Having the ID may be useful but I usually use the cleansweep as a jewelry/clad hoover and dig everything.  

Any idea on a time frame??

• Like 3