Miracles Do Happen - Arrow 4" X 18" DD Coil From Detech

I'm an undersell/overdeliver guy, so I'd say expect depth like a 4" stretched. But that is not accurate, it's really more about coil square inches than either length or width. As EL NINO77 has already answered, probably more like a 6" - 8" round depending on the target, with depth like a 6" round being a nice conservative guesstimate. Remember this is a stretch DD, not a concentric, and that complicates things also. This will be one coil where doing good depth comparison tests will be far more informative than is the norm. Fun project for EL I'd think. :smile: Speculating on VDI, depth reading, and such is kind of a waste of time, we will just have to wait and see.

I’ll probably wait and see on this but it is something that actually has me interested and I may actually purchase. I have some areas and situations in mind for this. Recent or fairly recent drops in areas where events are held or overflow parking. So I actually want it to not be too deep and get sidetracked on deeper signals. I’ve been trying this with my Vanquish with the sensitivity backed off but the extra coverage would be great. Was just looking to see if others had experience with the predecessors to this and if similar results could be expected out of this coil design. 

Hmmm...

I really want one of these coils, but so far, the Equinox 600 is eating my AT Max's lunch.

Maybe if I sell my AT Max, I should replace it with an Ace...there are alot of used ones for sale online...

Why the Ace if you already have a Max?  I ask because my two current options on the list are an Ace 300 and Simplex. My Simplex would be most similar to the Max in this case in features and frequency so curious why you would make that choice. 

It's a work of art. 

Ok so it does do the Simplex, so now it's Simplex, T2, AT Gold, Ace 300 or Gold Bug Pro in the mix.... Gold Bug Pro it is I guess, I notice E-trac isn't on the list, I thought it was going to be, I guess it's a variant? I've got my eyes out for a second hand one at the moment.

When I was looking into possibly getting an F75/T2 to try, some of you guys convinced me that other than the ergo, I wasn’t really missing anything if I already had the Simplex for a lesser price and it was sort of a budget Deus/Orx replacement to compliment my 600. My decision right now is between the Ace and the Simplex. But other than having less money into the Ace, I can’t find any other reason to choose it over the Simplex. But there is always that other option of buying something else on the current or future list of detectors. Decisions, decisions..... 

On 11/10/2021 at 7:32 PM, nickeldNdimed said:

I’ll probably wait and see on this but it is something that actually has me interested and I may actually purchase. I have some areas and situations in mind for this. Recent or fairly recent drops in areas where events are held or overflow parking. So I actually want it to not be too deep and get sidetracked on deeper signals. I’ve been trying this with my Vanquish with the sensitivity backed off but the extra coverage would be great. Was just looking to see if others had experience with the predecessors to this and if similar results could be expected out of this coil design. 

I have posted extensively on the BigFoot coil, but this is not a BigFoot, not even wound the same. You should not be buying it if depth is your main goal, which misses the point of the design. Just get a round coil if you are after depth. When I use my BigFoot, I pass on any item my pinpointer won’t reach from the surface, so I’m only looking for pinpointer type depths. These coils have a specific strategy so read up on them if you want to get the most out of them.

That said you can buy one for any reason you want, but don’t expect the depth of an 18” or even a 12” round coil.

• Like 2

I have posted extensively on the BigFoot coil, but this is not a BigFoot, not even wound the same. You should not be buying it if depth isn’t your main goal, which misses the point of the design.

I wrote that I do not want it to be really deep.  I was hoping it was even more limited in depth by design. Same strategy you mention I think. If I can’t pop it out quickly with my digging tool or find it on the surface, I want to move on or not detect it possibly.  Thanks for sharing the link. I’ll get caught up on that.  

• Like 1

When I was looking into possibly getting an F75/T2 to try, some of you guys convinced me that other than the ergo, I wasn’t really missing anything if I already had the Simplex for a lesser price and it was sort of a budget Deus/Orx replacement to compliment my 600. My decision right now is between the Ace and the Simplex. But other than having less money into the Ace, I can’t find any other reason to choose it over the Simplex. But there is always that other option of buying something else on the current or future list of detectors. Decisions, decisions..... 

While I don't know about the Simplex being a Dues / ORX budget alternative I do know it's very similar in performance to a T2 although I think the T2 goes a bit deeper with ID's although the ID's aren't much good as they're all over the place anyway and the Simplex will get the same targets but have no ID's at all, If I had to pick out of the Simplex or T2 I'd pick the Simplex for features alone when they're so close in performance.  I personally don't think you're missing much by using a Simplex instead of a T2, you're gaining more than you're losing.

As for this coil the reason I want it is for right after events, things like New Years Eve fireworks where thousands of people sit on a lakeside beach watching them being fired off barges in the water for example,  to hit the locations the morning after and get all the surface and slightly buried drops using a quick and effective coil, and if it picks up a few shallow goodies to go with it I'd be happy, I don't want to spend my time worrying about deep targets when my aim would be to get the surface stuff before someone else does 🙂

• Like 3

Why the Ace if you already have a Max?  I ask because my two current options on the list are an Ace 300 and Simplex. My Simplex would be most similar to the Max in this case in features and frequency so curious why you would make that choice. 

B/c I can sell the AT Max, buy an Ace, then still have cash left over.

B/c I can sell the AT Max, buy an Ace, then still have cash left over.

This is a similar decision for me but the delta between the value of the ACE and the Simplex is likely not worth going for the ACE I think. Similar to another recent discussion on the you might still be able to get someone to pay a lot more for a used Max than a Simplex for whatever reason.  I doubt there will be a difference in the price of this coil between the two so I am leaning towards the Simplex. 

This is a similar decision for me but the delta between the value of the ACE and the Simplex is likely not worth going for the ACE I think. Similar to another recent discussion on the you might still be able to get someone to pay a lot more for a used Max than a Simplex for whatever reason.  I doubt there will be a difference in the price of this coil between the two so I am leaning towards the Simplex. 

Used Garrett Aces are a dime a dozen. If someone in my area is selling one, I'm sure I can get an Ace 150/200 for $75-$100, Ace 250/300 for $100-$125 or an Ace 350/400 for $125-$150. I'll have to be patient, but for those prices, I'll pass on the Simplex. Of course, if I find a used Simplex for really cheap, I'm open to buying that, too.

While I don't know about the Simplex being a Dues / ORX budget alternative I do know it's very similar in performance to a T2 although I think the T2 goes a bit deeper with ID's although the ID's aren't much good as they're all over the place anyway and the Simplex will get the same targets but have no ID's at all, If I had to pick out of the Simplex or T2 I'd pick the Simplex for features alone when they're so close in performance.  I personally don't think you're missing much by using a Simplex instead of a T2, you're gaining more than you're losing.

As for this coil the reason I want it is for right after events, things like New Years Eve fireworks where thousands of people sit on a lakeside beach watching them being fired off barges in the water for example,  to hit the locations the morning after and get all the surface and slightly buried drops using a quick and effective coil, and if it picks up a few shallow goodies to go with it I'd be happy, I don't want to spend my time worrying about deep targets when my aim would be to get the surface stuff before someone else does 🙂

Yes, I think in this case the depth is not a concern as I have other tools for that and the Simplex with the headphones and perhaps adding their linked pinpointer will be the nicer setup.  

My case for this is areas that get temporarily fenced for festivals at park and the grassy temporary parking areas for fresh drops.  May try it at the beach when visiting family just for something different. 

• Like 1