Miracles Do Happen - Arrow 4" X 18" DD Coil From Detech

I already know the order I'm going to purchase them.

1st will be for the TEK 8500 because I'll be able to use it for my Eurotek Pro, too.  And, it may also work on the F75 and I'll want to know that before purchasing one for the F75.

2nd will be for my Etrac.  

3rd is undecided.  If the DFX coil feedback shows it works ok on the V3 then the V3 is next.   If not, and the 8500 coil doesn't work well with the F75 then the F75 coil will be next.

Then just wait for the Impact to make the coil list.

Hard to believe this is actually going to happen.  I love this type of coil.

HH

Mike

• Like 3

i found this coil on thrace metal detector.

i will buy it for Christmas, and try it on teknetics G2. I search in north Italy, the fields are full of old rubbish is a nightmare,foil and old aluminum caps everywhere. But i found a piece of old mid 1500 silver coin, so maybe this coil is perfect for me.

i will write a review 😉

• Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 12:10 PM, Mike_Hillis said:

Hard to believe this is actually going to happen.  I love this type of coil.

I had actually given up hope after running into numerous dead ends. Even my first go at DeTech, which had a positive response, went silent for so long I just figured “oh well, I tried”. I mean, I have a BigFoot coil, so not like I was without. I simply think the market needs this type of coil. Anyway, I was about as surprised as anyone when DeTech showed up after a long quiet period with “we have the coil.” I am really thrilled, as it just seemed impossible to get any interest for so long, and I love it when something difficult finally happens. This was far harder than finding a 1 ounce gold nugget for me, and that’s some hard stuff! Anyway, kudos again to DeTech for this, certainly scored major points with me.

• Like 6

They will need to be very descriptive in the marketing on the benefits and purpose of the coil, although in some circles the point of such a coil is well known and obvious to a large number of people they'd have no idea and wonder why anyone would want a coil like that.

• Like 3

Yeah, the goal is not to make a light 18” coil, it’s to make a surface skimmer and maximize target recovery efficiency. Plugging is not the way to go. If you can’t get the target with your pinpointer, and easily pop with a screwdriver, pass it up. Plugging brings everything to a screeching halt. This is all about volume recovery, and keeping recovery easy is the key.

If you want depth and plugging, you should already own coils for that. I’m not saying these coils don't have depth, but it’s a specific and different strategy that works best with them, and that’s harvesting easy to retrieve targets. The only problem in the long run is you need a constant supply of fresh ground.

• Like 3

..Now let's ask the question, who wouldn't want to quickly detect new terrain and pick from the ground not too deep but interesting targets?:wink:

This ... 18x4 "Arrow coil .... will have according to my estimate..while it will have a separation similar to the 6X4" sniper coil but with the advantage of terrain scanning length as an 18 "large coil ...., when detecting a coin at a detection depth of up to 6 -7 "inches .... where there can be, for example, a sufficient number of not very deep ... but interesting targets ..... Another advantage is ... here simply. You don't waste time digging too deep pits for the targets that are they can often show up as junk targets ..

The rule applies - less depth - but significantly more excavated good targets ...:smile:

Another important feature, which is given by the small width of the spool, will be ... less sensitivity to deeply stored larger iron ... which otherwise can disguise, for example, on a large coil and a coin at a depth of 6 "/15cm/ .. which is located just above this iron ..

I found this interesting effect years ago during comparative tests .. Nel snake 3.5x 6.6 "and standard 11" DD coils on the teknetics G2 detector .. where the coil was able to get a stronger signal from the coin at a depth of 15cm "than the large 11" DD coil ..

...the cause of this effect was a deep-seated piece of cast iron furnace ... which was located directly below the location of the test coin.

Even in the plowed field, there are large iron parts from agricultural machines that can make a similar effect .. and this type of coil can eliminate this problem well enough ...

4x18 "Arrow coil... in view of its width will have one more advantage ,,, increased sensitivity to small targets .... which could not be achieved with the usual 18" large coil ..👍

• Like 4

G2 and F19 are same 19 kHz base circuit, coil compatible with each other. This coil will work great in the FT 19kHz series, but frankly I’d wish it was not epoxy filled for them, as it will be nose heavy. No problem in grassy areas where coil can ride on ground, but if you are holding coil off ground, I’d expect some arm strain. In water though, like fresh water jewelry, killer combo.

• Like 5

I bought the Arrow coil for teknetics g2, with black Friday discount. I Will make some test and video, with a review 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 2:32 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I have been lobbying for over 6 years - more like a decade - for somebody to produce a replacement for either the White's Bigfoot, or Tesoro Cleansweep coils. These narrow 18" long coils are superb at scanning large areas for relatively shallow targets, making them excellent for jewelry detecting in large fields, and for vacuuming up recent coin drops. They are so efficient at this that some planted coin hunts prohibit them as an unfair advantage. Also great for beach detecting recent drops, relic/coin hunting huge fields, patch hunting for gold nuggets, even meteorites. See my long thread here for details on the subject.

The short story is that the Bigfoot was a 3" x 18" figure 8 wound coil, specific to some White's models. This design has advantages, but is very hard to make, pretty much a hand made coil. And to really work best, a detector needs to be optimized for it (see additional post below). Barring some process breakthrough, I expected getting this coil back into production to be difficult at best. I therefore also concentrated on the Tesoro Cleansweep design as an option, as it is simply an elongated DD coil, much easier to produce properly in volume at lower cost, and with no oddball operating characteristics.

I tried to get Nokta/Makro in particular to make these, as they are generally open to new ideas, and I thought, and still think, a detector sold with this coil as stock would be a unique offering that would attract attention. That came to naught, unfortunately. Then, about a year ago Detech contacted me on another subject. I used that opportunity to once again bring up the elongated coils as an ignored market, and they seemed enthusiastic about pursuing it. But then nothing, silence for a long time. I pretty much gave up hope. I was contacted by another old detectorist on the subject recently, and said just that. I had lost the original contact info from Detech, and was resigned to these coils never happening again. And frankly, I have one, so I'm covered. I just wanted so much for others to be able to get their hands on these coils, especially for machines that never had them as an option.

Well, miracles happen!! I just was notified that Detech is producing a 4" x 18" DD coil that will be available soon (not sure how soon, but they may chime in on this thread hopefully). I do not know the weight or price, but with Detech I am sure that the price will be reasonable. The best part is that it will be for more than one brand of detector. The list I was just provided with:

- MINELAB'S EXPLORER / E-TRAC / SAFARI 

- FISHER'S F75

- TEKNETICS T2, G2, GAMMA / OMEGA

- GARRETT'S ACE AND AT PRO

- WHITES' DFX / MXT / M6

And so without further ado, let me give you your first look at a genuinely new product for some detectors, the Detech Arrow! One of my favorite all-time coils is the Detech Ultimate series, so I know they make some great coils. This is a niche coil, but one many people crave. I want to give a very personal thanks to Detech for doing this, as it is something I have tried hard for a long time to get somebody to do, and they have granted this old guys wish finally. Thank you!

detech-8x14-dd-search-coil.jpg

Thrace Metal Detectors. Atanas is great and he has them for many top models. Free shipping and euro not the more expensive British Pounds. I would think many folks would love to have one especially for competition hunts. Mine will be here in Virginia in about 10 days. Should be fun. 

• Like 3