Miracles Do Happen - Arrow 4" X 18" DD Coil From Detech

1 hour ago, longbow62 said:

What is the point of this coil. Doesn't it's increased length negate how narrow it is. In other words aren't you massively increasing the probability of getting multiple targets under the coil at the same time versus one of the same width but only 7" long? 

Yes, you're correct to say so, if searching in littered areas. But if you have "clean" ground you cover a lot of more ground by one sweep. So this is the coil for big areas with little trash.

• Like 6

We have a lot of outdoor concerts here in the summer, mostly in the grounds of wineries, we also have big fireworks events on the lakefronts in the various towns which is just river gravel beaches with thousands of people.  My idea for the coil was to hit places like this covering a lot of ground quickly and plucking out all the recent good drops, and it's quick and easy for pinpointing near surface targets.

The limited depth is actually beneficial and I was going to run a low sensitivity to limit that even further.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, locator said:

Yes, you're correct to say so, if searching in littered areas. But if you have "clean" ground you cover a lot of more ground by one sweep. So this is the coil for big areas with little trash.

I search a large over 100 year old park covered in can slaw. The benefit of the coil is still coverage but for close to surface finds.  Chances are the targets aren’t going to be perfectly aligned and the separation and sensitivity is really good. I can hit stuff, determine depth based on sound, easily investigate with the tip and pinpoint or move on. 

Also think about frequently hunted beach towel lines or playgrounds, fenced in event or parking are after vent. This allows quickly cover ground and recover surface finds. Like beach hunting at the park, minimal time wasted digging. 

• Like 4

Okay gotcha. I guess that makes sense. I do have a place with shallow targets. Think tilled ground with old and modern mixed, but I'm scared the iron and modern trash would be to thick for a coil that long. I guess I'll just stick with the small coils I have for my Equinox.

Tried the Arrow at playground today before it got busy. Best little hunt in a while. So much quicker to cover ground and focus on anything on the surface and quickly retrieve from the mulch.

Best finds were the rosary and a beat up silver ring. Otherwise some junk jewelry. But if gold had been there I think it would have found it. Definitely motivated me to get familiar with the Simplex and its target ID scale although I only looked at it to guess what I might dig and dug everything shallow anyway. 

The coil seems really sensitive to the smallest things and so easy to pinpoint with the tip. 

I dug the bottle caps knowing most of the time I was going to dig them.  They ring up around penny range but you can get the iron grunt good on the tip. It is very tell tale. 

I’ve been running Park 1 with sensitivity on 2nd notch and first when getting too close to playground equipment. I like the tone breaks on Park 1 but Park 2 might be more ideal on Simplex as it is supposed to be faster but maybe not even necessary. 

5664765F-A529-45C5-9CF7-53EF8ED3D88B.jpeg

4C8CCBAD-7889-48F6-B66B-11E06D2B6E98.jpeg

D5EC2E9C-9904-4BFB-A53D-67AF4A47BAD5.jpeg

71103FDE-479B-41D4-993D-822F3DA377CA.jpeg

7BD2D484-0BCA-49C8-BC52-AF9BEEBA8916.jpeg

3B5B9DB3-2E9B-4C84-ABAD-13F823C25F27.jpeg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Mike_Hillis said:

Guess who has an Arrow in the mailbox waiting for him to get off work?

My F75 does!  HA.  

HH
Mike

Awesome, you'll love it.

44 minutes ago, Mike_Hillis said:

Guess who has an Arrow in the mailbox waiting for him to get off work?

My F75 does!  HA.  

HH
Mike

I have been toying with getting one for the F75, which used to be my favorite (before EQ800).

Please let us know how the Fisher runs the Arrow!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s another short video of this coil on the Simplex for what I like to use it for the most so far, playgrounds. Just sweep till something beeps, back up and analyze if needed with the tip, pinpoint, retrieve, and repeat. 

On my next hunt I think I’ll try collapsing the shaft on the Simplex when I’m crawling around under equipment (limited by the pivot pin in the lower shaft lock).  Really where I am finding most stuff is under and close to poles.  but not all the stuff.  Hope to try it at the beach soon, open up the sensitivity a bit, and hit some towel lines.

7AD5C771-599E-477B-99BF-6A01036CA953.jpeg

34CB3496-C0F9-4D3F-83E9-750F1EC7B2BB.jpeg

EC571739-FF73-430D-93D0-31326EBE1B13.jpeg

8CF51C0C-56D9-40BC-A63C-0CB853A937B8.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Since the Arrow seems fully compatible with the DFX, MXT and V3i does this render the BigFoot coil redundant? The difference in street price is obviously significant. I realize these coils are both wound differently but is there some other advantage to the BigFoot that I’m missing?