Miracles Do Happen - Arrow 4" X 18" DD Coil From Detech

Well, I ordered a Detech Arrow today, I was wanting to get one for a Minelab E-Trac and I've been trying to find an E-Trac to buy so I can get the coil but gave up waiting and ordered one for my AT Gold, my choices were for the Simplex, AT Gold, Gold Bug Pro or my T2, and the AT Gold seemed to be the right choice for me for this one, it was either that or the Gold Bug Pro but I have so many coils for my GBP I decided the AT Gold needed some love, I only have 1 coil for my Simplex but I really don't get along with that detector, it's ID's are far too unstable for me, it has the depth but the ID's on a coin every other detector picks up fine with reasonable ID's are way down from where they should be.  It's only got accurate ID on quite shallow coins, seems weird compared to every other detector I own which are all significantly better.  It turns out the Arrow isn't being made for the Simplex anyway, so it wasn't one of the choices afterall, I thought they were making it for the Simplex but I guess like Nel they're having trouble getting the "parts" required from Nokta to make the coil, as Dilek pointed out they need to buy certain parts off Nokta to be able to make aftermarket coils for Nokta detectors and Nokta has to see it beneficial to them to go into that partnership.  Nel never ended up making their much anticipated Simplex coils, and now Detech has been very slow to make an Arrow for the Simplex so perhaps we can assume its not happening, at least in the near future.

I was doing my research, as you do and found a guy in Bulgaria testing one on a Garrett Ace 400i on some small gold nuggets.

536876793_DetechArrow.jpg.b3f7e3651a64e266c5729f1fa89d0788.jpg

By the look of it the nuggets were 0.03 of a gram, and 0.39 of a gram.  The 0.03 was the one I was most interested in of course.

In this picture the 0.03g does genuinely look like it'd be a 0.03 of a gram nugget.

738310719_Detecharrow2.jpg.3803474cb52d85926ff9f37ba4f9b780.jpg

So seeing the Ace 400i is a 10kHz detector, I think the response on these nuggets is pretty good.  I think my AT Gold would do quite well with it.

The video's in Bulgarian however I'm not interested in what the guy has to say, I'm interested in what the detector has to say and it talked nicely I think.

It is such a shame they can't make this coil for any of the current top of the line VLF's, too many damn restrictions.  Maybe it'll come out for the Legend one day.... maybe not.  I can't wait that long to find out, maybe I'll end up with two Arrows one day.

Here is a picture of the guts of it's ancient ancestor, although the figure 8 style instead of DD

bigfoot.thumb.jpg.c067550512c9960ebd0f1cc20a9c47db.jpg

I'm glad coils are made far better quality these days as that thing looks home made, by someone who has no care for detail.

This is very impressive for a Garrett Ace detector, I've started the video right at the point to see.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My Detech Arrow arrived today, not too bad of a shipping time really, only two to three weeks from Bulgaria.

I'm thinking I might buy one from my Gold Bug Pro as well, I wanted one for the AT Gold as I only have the stock coil for it but the Gold Bug Pro has more stable Target ID's and I love target ID's 🙂

I am happy with the quality of it as expected, Detech make good coils.  It came with a nice fitting black coil cover fitted which is nice, seeing Garrett coils don't come with them :wacko:  it was nice to buy a Garrett compatible coil that comes with a coil cover.

Included in the package was a 10% discount off my next order from Thrace metal detectors in Bulgaria.  I might use that to get another Arrow for the GBP and a 13" Ultimate coil for my AT Gold.

IMG_20220502_110337.thumb.jpg.18d2993514cb1f208c9ea602b2b51e6d.jpg

That's it next to my stock AT Gold coil.  Depth so far seems similar to the AT Gold coil with some very basic testing on coins in my test garden.  I've thrown some little gold nuggets over the top of it and it's doing OK for a 18 kHz detector, it's not even remotely competitive with the higher frequency gold detectors with any coil but it does OK on the nuggets for it's frequency I think, at least as good as the stock coil, perhaps better towards the tip and toe, further testing required to have a definitive opinion there. 

It handles EMI about as well as the stock coil too, so the extra size hasn't contributed to any EMI difficulties over the stock.

IMG_20220502_110345.thumb.jpg.09ca8725fbfea75b75b1582c4d3644c1.jpg

It's a nice cooling coil, I don't mind the weight, some may find it a bit different to using smaller coils, I struggle to complain about VLF weight as most of my time detecting is swinging the far heavier GPZ so anything else feels very light.

IMG_20220502_110350.thumb.jpg.5cca2acfe9b3e855bcfd39bbe7102508.jpg

I'm happy with it, I just wish it was available for my better detectors, I'd absolutely love this coil for my Equinox and CTX 3030, even the Vanquish but sadly that's not going to happen, thanks Minelab, appreciate it.  Perhaps if it comes out for the Nokta Legend that will be my next move.

• Like 7

I love Detech coils for their durability and sensitivity. I hope you do well with yours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was going to get one of these coils but have not yet. It's the only time i've wanted to get a coil before I even have the detector lol. I just don't know what I want to mate it with. Originally I was thinking the Etrac but I like whites how they are balanced better. I had a AT gold that was for my wife. The speaker broke within a few months of very limited use. Let us know how it works out. 

strick 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, strick said:

I was going to get one of these coils but have not yet. It's the only time i've wanted to get a coil before I even have the detector lol. I just don't know what I want to mate it with. Originally I was thinking the Etrac but I like whites how they are balanced better. I had a AT gold that was for my wife. The speaker broke within a few months of very limited use. Let us know how it works out. 

strick 

That was my biggest problem deciding on which detector, as my favourite detectors it doesn't work on.  It's got surprising depth for a 4" wide coil, deeper than I was expecting that's for sure.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s a little something I just put together. Need to put more time on the Simplex and The Arrow but great so far for quicker coverage of large park areas and focusing on near surface finds. Makes me appreciate this detector more and give it a purpose!

• Like 5

Here are a few pics.  I’ve been laying detector on its side when I stop to recover targets.  Sometimes I just hold it since some targets are just on the surface, no plugging required.  Easy to tell they are right on surface by the double beeps. 

978C8457-7C1C-4E17-8CE8-53BF1D5B1877.jpeg

2388C904-A015-4FE7-A138-6F5A24A2BF5A.jpeg

9F5CCCEC-875A-454D-8DCA-D808988C5B7B.jpeg

E53BBFED-DC17-4F04-8C80-D9A0FAE0ADFA.jpeg

A4232006-C53F-4E17-BE11-399348DB69D2.jpeg

• Like 2

Yup, that's the place I bought mine from.

What is the point of this coil. Doesn't it's increased length negate how narrow it is. In other words aren't you massively increasing the probability of getting multiple targets under the coil at the same time versus one of the same width but only 7" long?