Miracles Do Happen - Arrow 4" X 18" DD Coil From Detech

If switching to an Ace you really need a 300 or 400, forget the 150, 250 or 350, they only have target segment notches and not target ID.  My Ace 300 is so much better than my Ace 350.

If you're in soil with not crazy amounts of junk and accept you'll miss masked targets the Ace is really good, it's a deep machine with the right coil on it, tones are door bells so you'll get some crazy looks from the general public using it unless you have headphones, no volume control exasperates the doorbell problem.

Fixed ground balance of course so it depends on your location how well it'd do, for me here the Ace is a very effective deep silver hunting detector, far more so than the Simplex, it's actually really good for the task and can keep up with the best of 'em in a low trash environment but it is susceptible to EMI around here, so location with less EMI matters too as the frequency shift on it doesn't shift enough to help much and lowering the sensitivity takes away the depth quite quickly.

The Ace is just simple and effective in the right environment and my Ace 300 is a real contender to get this Detech coil.

• Like 2

Used Garrett Aces are a dime a dozen. If someone in my area is selling one, I'm sure I can get an Ace 150/200 for $75-$100, Ace 250/300 for $100-$125 or an Ace 350/400 for $125-$150. I'll have to be patient, but for those prices, I'll pass on the Simplex. Of course, if I find a used Simplex for really cheap, I'm open to buying that, too.

I picked up my Ace 300 in that range. The Simplex was sub 200.  Then used wireless headphones from a guy whose Simplex was stolen...  Patience and opportunity is key!

If switching to an Ace you really need a 300 or 400, forget the 150, 250 or 350, they only have target segment notches and not target ID.  My Ace 300 is so much better than my Ace 350.

If you're in soil with not crazy amounts of junk and accept you'll miss masked targets the Ace is really good, it's a deep machine with the right coil on it, tones are door bells so you'll get some crazy looks from the general public using it unless you have headphones, no volume control exasperates the doorbell problem.

Fixed ground balance of course so it depends on your location how well it'd do, for me here the Ace is a very effective deep silver hunting detector, far more so than the Simplex, it's actually really good for the task and can keep up with the best of 'em in a low trash environment but it is susceptible to EMI around here, so location with less EMI matters too as the frequency shift on it doesn't shift enough to help much and lowering the sensitivity takes away the depth quite quickly.

The Ace is just simple and effective in the right environment and my Ace 300 is a real contender to get this Detech coil.

If I got the Arrow coil, it would be to find coins that are only a few inches deep; I wouldn't expect it to find coins deeper than 3 inches in my soil. So I'm not too worried about the lack of ground balancing.

As for which Ace to get, that's good to know about the models lacking the VDI/TID. But it looks like even the Ace 200 has a VDI. It's almost as if the Ace 200 is like a single frequency Vanquish 340.

If I am in the market for an Ace, I'll make note to avoid the 150, 250 and 350.

ACE 200 basic detector class ACE has numerical VDI but does not have Pinpoint ... if you want to have pinpoint you need ACE 300 ... I have ACE 400 ....

• Like 1

Very little difference between the Ace 300 and 400 I found, they come with a different coil with the Ace 400 having the 8.5″ x 11″ DD PROformance  and the 300 having the 7″ x 10″ concentric PROformance, didn't bother me as I was going to run mine with the Nel Tornado and it all depends if you prefer concentric or DD.

The other difference is no iron audio on the 300 which the 400 has, if it's anything like the iron audio on my AT Gold I don't want it anyway.

The other difference is the frequency on the 400 is 10kHz and 8kHz on the 300, for me personally I prefer 8kHz, it's the same as my Ace 350 which is also 8kHz and I find it a deep frequency on silvers, the 10kHz I have on my Nox so it's nice to have something different.

The Ace 300 / 400 is probably a decent detector for using the Detech for shallow targets after an event.  The 400 would possibly hit smaller gold items a bit better than the 300 I guess.   I wonder if the Detech will be cheaper for the Ace than a higher end detector, Nel tend to do that with Ace coils being cheaper than AT Gold coils.

• Like 3

ACE 200 basic detector class ACE has numerical VDI but does not have Pinpoint ... if you want to have pinpoint you need ACE 300 ... I have ACE 400 ....

I never use the pinpoint function on metal detectors. Well, sometimes, if I'm bored...

Very little difference between the Ace 300 and 400 I found, they come with a different coil with the Ace 400 having the 8.5″ x 11″ DD PROformance  and the 300 having the 7″ x 10″ concentric PROformance, didn't bother me as I was going to run mine with the Nel Tornado and it all depends if you prefer concentric or DD.

The other difference is no iron audio on the 300 which the 400 has, if it's anything like the iron audio on my AT Gold I don't want it anyway.

The other difference is the frequency on the 400 is 10kHz and 8kHz on the 300, for me personally I prefer 8kHz, it's the same as my Ace 350 which is also 8kHz and I find it a deep frequency on silvers, the 10kHz I have on my Nox so it's nice to have something different.

The Ace 300 / 400 is probably a decent detector for using the Detech for shallow targets after an event.  The 400 would possibly hit smaller gold items a bit better than the 300 I guess.   I wonder if the Detech will be cheaper for the Ace than a higher end detector, Nel tend to do that with Ace coils being cheaper than AT Gold coils.

Good to know, thanks!

tones are door bells so you'll get some crazy looks from the general public using it unless you have headphones, no volume control exasperates the doorbell problem.

this...  the MS-2s fixed part of this issue but the tones are not for me...  thing is I probably would have loved a detector like the Ace when I was a kid

Just for fun, I was wondering what the short list of names for this coil was 🤔 

I like Bigfoot and Cleansweep better than Arrow.  I would have named it “Sythe” I think.

I was also thinking about how quickly I would be able to move or what kind of rhythm a coil like this. The 6” is like having your laces tied together, the 11” like wearing shackles, an 18” ‘er like normal walking pace? 🤔