Detech Ultimate 9" On Apex

kac

First off I got the 9" as I like round coils to navigate in the woods better than the long Viper coil I had. I didn't want to get a coil too big or open where it becomes cumbersom.

Tried a quick air test but emi is really bad in my house so only yielded 1/2" better depth on the Ultimate coil vs Viper but in the field away from EMI things are noticeably better. Separation seems a little less than the stock coil but overal stability is better with the Ultimate 9. Machine is quieter and pinpointing is better with the Ultimate 9 also.

Did a quick run at local school field that buddy and I have hit over the years that has a can line in the 8-10 mark and tons of can slaw. I had hit this area a couple of times with the stock coil so went back and did a pass down the field and back. I was pretty impressed how nicely it picked out nickels we missed as well as the other clad. Cans themselves ran lower on id's down in the 70's with the zincolns instead of low-mid 80.

Soil there is rich black dirt with ground balacance low to mid 90's Most the coins were in the 6-8" range and I had no question what they were before digging.

So is the coil worth the $170 price tag? Depends how much you love your Apex but consider the Ripper too if your looking for another coil. I will be keeping this coil on for a long time.

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

• Like 9

Coil looks nice. It will work well. 

• Like 2

On 10/8/2021 at 6:22 PM, kac said:

First off I got the 9" as I like round coils to navigate in the woods better than the long Viper coil I had. I didn't want to get a coil too big or open where it becomes cumbersom.

I also prefer a round shaped coil, and I have very little use or need for a bigger-size coil.  A good 85% or more of my hunting is in dense debris and / or thick brush where smller-size coils rule.  Other than that I do like a good mid-size coil which would be a round 7" to 9" or something like a 5X8 to 5X9½ elliptical shape for "fringe-areas" to more "open-areas".

I like the looks of that coil, and if it is a bit thinner and lighter compared with others, I think I'll see if they make one for the Tek. T2+.  My other detectors are already fitted with coils I like, but I might do some selling or trading to get another new T2+ just to use a coil like the Detech 9" Ultimate.

Tried a quick air test but emi is really bad in my house so only yielded 1/2" better depth on the Ultimate coil vs Viper but in the field away from EMI things are noticeably better. Separation seems a little less than the stock coil but overal stability is better with the Ultimate 9. Machine is quieter and pinpointing is better with the Ultimate 9 also.

'Quieter' in and around EMI is a good thing.  About ½" to 1" or so seems about right compared with the Viper.

Did a quick run at local school field that buddy and I have hit over the years that has a can line in the 8-10 mark and tons of can slaw. ---- I was pretty impressed how nicely it picked out nickels we missed as well as the other clad. Cans themselves ran lower on id's down in the 70's with the zincolns instead of low-mid 80.

So is the coil worth the $170 price tag? Depends how much you love your Apex but consider the Ripper too if your looking for another coil. I will be keeping this coil on for a long time.

Glad to hear it is generally working okay afield.  I have noticed through the years that, depending upon the make and model detector, the aftermarket coils often reflect a VDI read-out that is of two or three numbers, high or low, from a stock or manufacturer's' coil.  I have what I need or my Apex devices, although I would really like to see Garrett make a smaller-size coil for the Apex, especially a Concentric.  But that Detech 9" looks like it might make a good combination with a T2+.

Monte 

• Like 3

I wanted something not as long but didn't want to sacrafice depth. I think Detech did an outstanding job on it. EMI wise it is probably identical to the Viper so I would safely say the Ultimate 9 is a good stock alternative or concider the Ripper for higher trash areas. Everything I found with the Ultimate 9 I would say could have been done with the stock or ripper. The shape sold me and made the task a little easier.

That 9" might work very well on a T2.

• Like 2

It looks like right now the Detech Ultimate 9" coil is only available for the Apex and MXT. It will probably be available for other detectors soon.

I like how the edge of the coil is round. Would sweep thru the water good.

https://md-hunter.com/wiki/detech-9-ultimate-dd/

• Like 1

I would get this coil with whatever Garrett releases as the next higher end cousin to the Apex.  Garrett does some things differently than other manufacturers on the AT series (and Apex) that I find compelling and this coil might almost entice me to give the Apex a shot.  But right now the Apex doesn't really fill a gap in my current arsenal nor does it do anything head and shoulders above what I have now and some things it does noticeably worse, especially in hot ground (where I spend most of my detecting time).

What really attracts me to Apex is the ergonomics, multiple single frequency selections at that price point, and straight ahead user interface (though there are a few things that can be improved there also).

Hoping that Garrett ups the capability of their MF signal processing, introduces variable, selectable recovery speed, full up water proof, and maintains the light form factor in their next perhaps AT capable MF detector. 

Since they beat Nokta to MF by at least a year and a half, if they are investing as they should into refining the MF technology, Garrett has a good chance to leapfrog Nokta's first MF attempt shortly after Nokta release.  Should make for an interesting 2022.  

Coil selection is a huge selling point, and despite the release of the Coiltek Nox series, Nokta and Garrett (and their third party coil collaborators) have got ML beat in this regard.

It is reports on accessory coils like that have me continuing to keep an eye on Garrett.  Thanks kac.

• Like 6

Kac, with the Apex, how is the feel, weight and balance with Ultimate 9" coil. 

I'm with Chase on the improved, light weight, waterproof detector in the future with the Ultimate 9" coil. With round edges it would be a great water detector too.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 2:01 PM, Rick N. MI said:

Kac, with the Apex, how is the feel, weight and balance with Ultimate 9" coil. 

I'm with Chase on the improved, light weight, waterproof detector in the future with the Ultimate 9" coil. With round edges it would be a great water detector too.

The machine balances well, the Orx I had before was a little nose heavy but a bit lighter. Keep in mind I have a carbon mid and lower shaft on it too so it isn't stock. The 9" ultimate is similar in weight as the stock viper. In the field the Viper gives you more ground coverage but the long narrow shape doesn't navigate undergrowth in woods hunting as well as a round coil.

I think people are overlooking the 9" and going for much bigger coils. I guess if you only have one machine then that may make sense but for myself I have machines that are deeper and have bigger coils already.

I believe Monty is looking into a 9" for his T2, would be nice to see how it performs on that machine. This is my first Detech coil and I am impressed with the stability and overall build quality. Connector is well made and the coil is very sturdy.

• Like 5

Quick follow up, I took the Apex with the 9" coil to the beach sunday. Though I only found a 1924 and 1941 wheatie and some and little over a buck in clad, the Apex handled the salt really well. I was able to run it flat out with no falsing even in the wet using MS mode. ID's were very accurate so I knew what I was digging. Depth probably about the same as my Kruzer with 12" coil which isn't bad but the id's are much better.

I did notice on the dry sand if I used regular MF mode it would false quite a bit so in general I just left is in MS and ground balanced as I went towards the water line.

• Like 1