GPX 6000 Battery Meter

Skookum

I had something strange happen, today. I had my GPX 6000 battery fully charged and fresh off the charger.  It had completed its charge cycle and then trickle charged overnight.  I popped it in the detector and started detecting. Within five minutes the battery meter dropped from three bars to two bars.  If I turned off the detector and let it sit for a 5-10 minutes and then turned it back on, it would go back up to three bars for a short period of time before then going back to two bars. Has anyone else noticed this with theirs?

21 hours ago, Skookum said:

I had something strange happen, today. I had my GPX 6000 battery fully charged and fresh off the charger.  It had completed its charge cycle and then trickle charged overnight.  I popped it in the detector and started detecting. Within five minutes the battery meter dropped from three bars to two bars.  If I turned off the detector and let it sit for a 5-10 minutes and then turned it back on, it would go back up to three bars for a short period of time before then going back to two bars. Has anyone else noticed this with theirs?

It was probably just riding the line between 3 and 2 bars. If you did not let it sit, it probably would have remained at 2 bars for a long time. That's how mine worked as well. It ran at 3 for a while, then remained at 2 for the longest time.  Lithium batteries kind of run that cycle is my guess. I don't believe there is anything wrong with it.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the feedback.  I suppose it could be just fine and just an algorithm issue with displaying 2 bars at a higher voltage. I’d like to hear if anyone else that notices something similar since it could also represent a battery issue if the runtime is decreased.

Today, I kept the freshly charged battery off the detector until reaching the destination.  After plugging it in and powering up, it read 2 bars on the power meter right off the bat.  Tonight, after completing the charge cycle, I removed it and checked the voltage.  It read 8.35 volts.  That sure seems like a fair charge on a new 7.2 volt Li-ion battery.  Perhaps there could be a software issue.  The detector still works, just not reading as expected with the power meter.

• 11 months later...

After much more use, I've continued to notice that a freshly charged battery in the GPX 6000 will shortly display 2 bars instead of 3.  However, yesterday, I noticed that a factory reset restored the battery meter to 3 bars for the rest of the morning.  Perhaps this can help anyone else noticing this behavior.  Has anyone else noticed this?