Coil Support Device

Al F

Wow …..$55 for 99 cents worth of plastic ……your other cheaper option would to look at Detect Ed’s heavy duty coil savers  ……..Looks the same as the stock ones 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Detect-ED-Coil-Saver-Coil-Shaft-WASHER-kit-for-Minelab-EQUINOX-600-800-/294266704359?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rob in (ca) said:

Wow …..$55 for 99 cents worth of plastic ……your other cheaper option would to look at Detect Ed’s heavy duty coil savers  ……..Looks the same as the stock ones 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Detect-ED-Coil-Saver-Coil-Shaft-WASHER-kit-for-Minelab-EQUINOX-600-800-/294266704359?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Yeah I'm not recommending nor advocating them. Just illustrating the issue. As I wrote the 10x5 is a tough little bugger, it remains to be seen if someone will break the ears. I've had it on my Equinox for a while now in all sorts of conditions. I'm using steveg's grommets and the coil isn't too tight but tight enough to hold the angle. I have hit stuff and twisted the shaft, but a bit of tightening fixed that. No problems yet!

• Like 4

I too have not had a problem with any of my coils, but I don't hunt in water other than an occasional creek or sides of rivers and lakes. I had one of the 3D printed protectors that I made out of polycarbonate on my 11" coil, but I don't feel like I really need it for the kind of detecting I do, so I took it off. I'm worried the least about my 10x5 because of the stouter designed coil ears or tabs which is similar to the GPX-6000 coils I noticed. Cudos to Coiltek on their design. Maybe Minelab should use that design on all of their coils.

• Like 4

I just don't understand all this talk about coil ear breakage...I have one of the first Equinox's made in-fact I have two of them...I have every coil available...hunt in water... brush...rocks...use it as a crutch to help me up off the ground and still have yet to break a coil ear and I've used the machine like a 1000 hours or more..so wtf? Those Detect eds washers are not what they are not all that good...I've bought them and they are loose...I recommend original minelab washers and original minelab lower shaft...and stop over tightening your coils like a rough handed buffoon...lol 🙂  now watch I'll break a coil next time I'm out...

strick

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Yep, you just jinxed yourself!!🤣👍👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My wife and I both have 800s and hunt surf, brush and so on. In over 3 years of use and we dont baby them ,have not had any problem with ear breakage. We just never over tighten the bolt, just tight enough that when you set the detector down the coil will go flat.  Works for us.  Going to beach tonight Jinx a coming!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Welcome to posting status Mick !

Glad to hear a report on no coil tabs broken.

Keep up the good work and no jinx's allowed !!!

Do another post in the Meet and Greet forum so everyone can welcome ya aboard .

And if you have any questions or finds to brag about we're all ready and waiting... 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 8:59 AM, Chase Goldman said:

Also, unless you are epoxying the supports to the coil form itself, they are not really doing anything to transfer the load away from the ear.  In other words, to have a proper coil ear support, you have to physically modify your coil by adding a permanent adhesive which the manufacturer can claim is a non-approved coil modification, voiding your warranty. 

Chase is correct. To strengthen the coil correctly the coil support MUST be epoxied to all surfaces it touches. 

You will not need a warranty for breakage after the coil support is correctly installed. It won't break! 

For the record.  I had a coil break, and I put a coil ear and epoxy repair on it so I could finish my trip. Minelab did have pictures before the repair. They did send me a new coil. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, midalake said:

For the record.  I had a coil break, and I put a coil ear and epoxy repair on it so I could finish my trip. Minelab did have pictures before the repair. They did send me a new coil

About the same here! Broke one just before a trip! JB Welded it! Upon return, sent ML pics, and they said send it, and replaced it, no problem! 👌

They may not fix the "flaw" with the coils, but they are Great at honoring their warranty!👍👍