The Tarsacci Is No Gimmick

58 minutes ago, Kaolin washer said:

and i forgot to say i was not digging as many nail false s. so what that guy said must be working

Yep, it's no gimmick.  Some nice old s/g head stamps there in addition to the other relics..  The disc/notch functionality is a little odd but effective. Per the manual (see below), when you set disc to anything above zero it acts as a full ferrous disc plus a 3 TID notch centered around whatever number you set it to.  So with disc set to 29 you notched out 28-30 wraparound iron (the falsing nails) in addition to all typical ferrous.  The only drawback to this approach is the miniscule chance of masking a large high conductor.

Tarsacci is my go to relic VLF in high mineralized dirt because of its slightly increased effective target ID depth as long as the non-ferrous junk targets (i.e., aluminum tabs and slaw, modern shotgun shells and casings) are nearly non-existent.  Otherwise, the weak 3-tone audio and bouncy IDs make it a chore to operate in mild dirt where it has no depth advantage compared to other vlfs.  Equinox and Deus (not Orx - because its 3 tone audio holds it back also) outplay it in mild dirt because they are just as deep and have better audio options, especially if there is a lot of aluminum or non-relic brass about.  But it really does excel in hot dirt, high alkalai dirt, and at salt beaches with minimal non-ferrous trash.SmartSelect_20210703-184617_Drive.thumb.jpg.d529ff03f0f2684b5a60c6312d991bf5.jpg

• Like 3

On the Orx just watch the phase meter and you will see targets are there but you won't here them because of the large offset XP has on the sensitivity of the machine. This is the break point between what the machine sees as ground and where it reports as a target. For the brief time I had the Orx I liked the machine but found it not very good in much of the ground I hunt due to small iron. Did make a nice little park machine though.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, kac said:

On the Orx just watch the phase meter and you will see targets are there but you won't here them because of the large offset XP has on the sensitivity of the machine. This is the break point between what the machine sees as ground and where it reports as a target. For the brief time I had the Orx I liked the machine but found it not very good in much of the ground I hunt due to small iron. Did make a nice little park machine though.

Thanks for the tip.  But the Deus makes standing on my head to deal with Orx quirks unnecessary.  I only use the Orx as a backup/loaner machine and then only in Gold mode if I'm using it, because it works equivalent to the Deus as an all-metal site surveyor in that mode.  Full tones and pitch audio options as well as, "negative disc" available for the Deus overcome the Orx shortcomings - not necessarily worth the price premium - but when I bought my Deus nearly 7 years ago, there was no Orx.  Lol.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Thanks for the tip.  But the Deus makes standing on my head to deal with Orx quirks unnecessary.  I only use the Orx as a backup/loaner machine and then only in Gold mode if I'm using it, because it works equivalent to the Deus as an all-metal site surveyor in that mode.  Full tones and pitch audio options as well as, "negative disc" available for the Deus overcome the Orx shortcomings - not necessarily worth the price premium - but when I bought my Deus nearly 7 years ago, there was no Orx.  Lol.

But gold mode you just have audio, no numbers at all other than ground. Deus different? If I was going to hunt with all metal like that I would just use a pi and try to hunt by size. Gold Racer and Kruzer have TID's in all metal mode but maybe that is different?

1 hour ago, kac said:

But gold mode you just have audio, no numbers at all other than ground. Deus different? If I was going to hunt with all metal like that I would just use a pi and try to hunt by size. Gold Racer and Kruzer have TID's in all metal mode but maybe that is different?

In Gold mode you DO have target ID numbers on both ORX and Deus just no tone ID because it’s VCO audio.  That’s what makes it so powerful.

You dug some very nice relics. That site has more to come. I think the large nickeled piece might be from an accordion.

Yes, Disc +29 works well in the Iron. Swing speed is important, not too fast.

Your running pretty hot settings & they seem to be working well, but it is still deep at lower sensitivity.

What is your GB?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

In Gold mode you DO have target ID numbers on both ORX and Deus just no tone ID because it’s VCO audio.  That’s what makes it so powerful.

Then in my test I got only vco audio in gold mode with no id's when there was small flat iron in the area. I remember not having either in coin modes. Been a while since I had one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kac said:

Then in my test I got only vco audio in gold mode with no id's when there was small flat iron in the area. I remember not having either in coin modes. Been a while since I had one.

OK now you are bringing up the specific target case that we discussed exhaustively in the thread below including details on the expanded Deus feature set that would likely mitigate the specific issue you experienced with Orx.  Otherwise, Gold mode on both Orx and Deus display target IDs just fine for the vast majority of detecting situations other than ground effect or adjacent ferrous target related up or down averaging which is simply something a Deus/Orx user learns to account for through accumulated swing time/ experience.

The point I was trying to make in my original post is that Orx, like Tarsacci, is significantly held back by the non adjustable 3-tone audio and limited disc range of the Orx which is relevant because the OP also owns an Orx.  This makes it a non-ideal tool for use in situations where there is heavy non-ferrous trash and certain iron trash situations that would otherwise benefit from the experience expanded disc range of the Deus.  Detectors with multi-tone options are more suitable for those situations actions and trying to do back flips to make the square peg Orx fit into a round hole more suited to Deus is just not worth the trip.

• Like 1

Is the Tarsacci more sensitive than the Orx? When I say sensitive, do they run the range of audio and ID response closer to the ground phase? In some cases running it too close can make a machine chatty as in the case of the Kruzer's in 2, 4, and deep modes.

That was more of my point. When I had the ORX it did fairly well in aluminum trash. Made it not a bad coin shooting machine however it didn't handle rusty bottle caps very well as it didn't have any iron response for me.