Does Size And Or Success Matter? No Right Or Wrong Answer.

Gold of whatever size for me, I have not used the Z since getting a 6K. Its ergonomics lightness and capability make it THE Gold detector for this old codger but the Zs not for sale as yet.

• Like 4

Gerry,

Case in point; the video you posted today for your nugget find!!! I hope you never loose that kind of excitement!! And may it be contagious for others!!👍👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GoldPanDan said:

Where was he washing his carpets out exactly?? 😁

In the Merced River up by Briceberg…why? (I got all his fines...😉)

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

In the Merced River up by Briceberg…why? (I got all his fines...😉)

I was a raft guide there in the 80’s. We had a group of musicians playing blues in camp one night next to Briceberg and a miner came off the hill to join our little party.  Nice fellow who went back to his place and get his gold from the season to show us- he had a large mayonnaise jar full that he dredged from his spots nearby the bridge. Wow! I never saw or held such a heavy collection of gold.  Sure was pretty too, and it was mostly coarse stuff. I can see why it brings such excitement to the finder!

• Like 6

Size does not matter to me and success can mean many things. To me, success is having a great time with a hobby that I love while being surrounded by the beauty of nature (desert or mountains). Gold is a reward that is not absolutely needed for success the way I define it, although with the 6000 this reward is more frequent (and at times more plentiful) than with any other detector I have ever owned. But I happen to believe that most of all it is the location that matters. No detector will create gold where none is and you simply need to know exactly where to look. If you are on a rich gold field, perhaps on a private claim from a friend, then the choice of detector is somewhat less important as long as you have a decent detector and gold is under your coil.

PS: The 6000/17 is my favored combination in the desert, with Auto+/Normal/Threshold on. Dave, I was at Bonanza Gulch last weekend and had a blast. Mostly lead with some gold, but I could not believe how much I found in what is known to be a "to death pounded area" 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

a miner came off the hill to join our little party.  Nice fellow who went back to his place and get his gold from the season to show us- he had a large mayonnaise jar full that he dredged from his spots nearby the bridge.

Yup, that was probably the guy…in his 70s? And, yes, he was a nice guy.

• Like 2

For the recreational prospector it's the enjoyment of doing that counts. The size has affect if the value is not to high, then they become trophies. When they can be swapped for a car, boat etc then it is hard to keep them. 

The recreational prospector requires something that can get small sub ounce (not extremely tiny nuggets) that make it a pleasure to uses (Weight, Balance, and Ease of matching the ground conditions. For other nuggets then it is special backup detector or coil where coverage and depth is required to bring down the odds of not getting any nuggets. Steve has summed this up on the first page of this POST.

• Like 3