Another First For Me

9 hours ago, Compass said:

Most of the freshwater lakes that I have detected were man-made during the last 50 years so I have not found many older things in them. Out of thousands of lake coins that I have recovered I may have found a couple of silver Rosies at best. I've always been a bit envious of some of the older lake finds that I've seen on this and other forums. The fresh water seems to preserve them so much better than the toasted ones I've found at the beach.

Recently, I hunted an older lake and about an hour into the hunt scooped out a 1968 10k class ring. It was in pretty good shape so it was probably there a long time. After finding a blackened silver ring a short time later I got a jumpy "32" reading on the Nox and was expecting another silver ring. However, I saw a large black circle in my basket and was shocked to find  that it was a 1959 Franklin half! Despite the discoloration it is in amazing shape. 

I have found silver halves in schools, parks, deserts and beaches before but never while wading in a lake so this was a memorable hunt. Gold is what I'm usually after but this find was a pleasant surprise!

IMG_20211008_171149.jpg

Nice hunt, Compass! Too bad about the corrosion, that Franklin half has a lot of detail. Hope it cleans up nice. And 2 rings... Great haul. 👍 Where I am the brackish water would have eaten em up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Same in our lakes here guys! The hydrogen sulfide (and high temps) does a number on silver, and any other older coins! My oldest in fresh, tannin colored water, was a barely readable, 1935 Walking Half that was about half the weight and thickness of a regular one, and had a heavy black crust on it!👍👍

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

Same in our lakes here guys! The hydrogen sulfide (and high temps) does a number on silver, and any other older coins! My oldest in fresh, tannin colored water, was a barely readable, 1935 Walking Half that was about half the weight and thickness of a regular one, and had a heavy black crust on it!👍👍

Thanks Joe, Well, I learned something. I always thought that fresh water wouldn't be bad for silver but there are other factors at play.

• Like 1

Great hunt and very nice items, the half should clean up nicely.

Good luck on your next outing!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great hunt and very nice items, the half should clean up nicely.

Good luck on your next outing!

Thanks VL, I don't usually clean my crusty coins but this one is in such good shape that, I agree - should clean up nice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

We need a half dollar club , they're getting scarce !

First silver half I have found in years.

• Like 2

The class ring is an unusual type. Great find !

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2021 at 12:12 PM, F350Platinum said:

Nice hunt, Compass! Too bad about the corrosion, that Franklin half has a lot of detail. Hope it cleans up nice. And 2 rings... Great haul. 👍 Where I am the brackish water would have eaten em up.

Thanks F350, Well, I think it cleaned up pretty well! 

-4509811279654976487.jpg

• Like 5
  • Oh my! 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Joe Beechnut OBN
      My first time out in a month, a lot has happened and now I am back to being a fulltime pirate. Water was was warm..70F with the 3mm wetsuit but the winds were up in the Chesapeake Bay this weekend............ Air temps were 54F so the wind chill was bad.
      Four hours hunt time, 7 Silver Washington's, 1 Mercury dime. One 7.49 gram 10k gold Class ring. Silver count is fairly good this year considering it's been a real down year.. (153)
      Next trip out will be with the drysuit.. getting to old for the cold.

• By relic ray
      Ok ok I know, the last time I posted that I found a half cent, it turned out that it was a V NicKLE.
      But yesterday I found an 1852 half cent, except it is a Canadian coin. What's really interesting is that I got out of my car, walked 30 feet, put the coil to the ground, and bang, there it was. This is a rugged hilly and full of trees 1000 acre park. The odds huh!
    • By Kaolin washer
      x35 coil  coin deep  86 gain 2 sweep speed 10.5khzi was in a soccer field just looking for modern targets when up comes an 1891 Indian head penny .

• By F350Platinum
      Went back to the farmhouse today, Chase wanted some detector time so I invited him down. It was a cold morning, 50s and windy but good for the hard work ahead. Chase got there shortly after I did, my first find was a 1990 nickel, and it really didn't get much better. I had to dump my trash bag 4 times, lots of plumbing parts, matchbox car parts again, molten metal and just about everything that gives a false good VDI and tone. Bullet shells, you name it. 😀 The place is getting sort of lean.
      Here's what I got, some of it is interesting:
      The usual clad and memorials, nothing older than 1972. Remains of some kind of brooch with rhinestones, it was pretty mangled but still had 3 stones. A 3 ring bullet flattened, some sort of knob that has a coin edge.
      The most interesting finds aside from the bullet were the aluminum penny token which is about the size of a quarter, and the small brass "E. Faber" fountain pen tip case which contains a small pencil. The token is corroded and broken so that the date doesn't show, just the bottom of the memorial and "One Cent" on the back. 
      It was a fun day, always good to have Chase along. He found some stuff too.
    • By F350Platinum
      Kinda an iffy day today, I was worried it would rain this morning but I drove just outside it to the farmhouse I've been hunting (and mowing). They tilled the field so all the cornstalks were knocked down! This made hunting outside the circle easy.
      Here are the finds, I dug so much trash, most of it was broken Matchbox cars, even a small helicopter. I have dug at least 10 or so cars in parts. Shame, I would much rather dig a coin collection than a matchbox collection. Even dug a Wonder Bread truck! They are everywhere.
      Got the usual clad, all 70's to 2012. 6 wheats from 1911 to 1947. 4 dimes, 3 memorials and 3 Zincolns. I was thrilled to find a piece of Civil War Calvary spur to put in my display box, dug a whole one just like it last time. The brass ring thing is some sort of tack as well.
      The 1911 wheat fooled me, at first I thought I had an IHP, it was so green.
      Best find of the day albeit in parts about 4" apart was the sterling leaf earring. 
      It could be soldered back together, and the screw still works.
    • By Joe Beechnut OBN
      Back out again yesterday, 3 hours. 2 gold bands and 3 silver coins. One of the gold bands is fairly old, guessing from the Hallmark/Fineness mark ... * X * (10k) late 1800's. I went back where I had found the gold Sunday when using the Excalibur but this trip I took the Fisher "AQ" PI. The "AQ" is a killer on deep gold rings. Both rings about 14 inches down, one I said.. this is trash.. signal had a  Faint "Quick" ramp up, down, then quick back up.. semi broken signal.  Like a short bobby pin?.. In all metal. Machine was super silent and smooth the full hunt.. Delay was 10.. Volume just short of full (9) .. sensitivity cranked up (9) ...ATS 4.5 and all metal ..dig all.
      Ring one is 14k 4.28grams, Second older gold is 1.6 grams 10k
      Also remember I have a audio cut off for the volume on the handle, that's the reason the audio can not be heard when I run the coil over the target in the sifter. I can hear it for it so loud it bleeds thru the switch faintly. 
      I love this machine!!