Another First For Me

9 hours ago, Compass said:

Most of the freshwater lakes that I have detected were man-made during the last 50 years so I have not found many older things in them. Out of thousands of lake coins that I have recovered I may have found a couple of silver Rosies at best. I've always been a bit envious of some of the older lake finds that I've seen on this and other forums. The fresh water seems to preserve them so much better than the toasted ones I've found at the beach.

Recently, I hunted an older lake and about an hour into the hunt scooped out a 1968 10k class ring. It was in pretty good shape so it was probably there a long time. After finding a blackened silver ring a short time later I got a jumpy "32" reading on the Nox and was expecting another silver ring. However, I saw a large black circle in my basket and was shocked to find  that it was a 1959 Franklin half! Despite the discoloration it is in amazing shape. 

I have found silver halves in schools, parks, deserts and beaches before but never while wading in a lake so this was a memorable hunt. Gold is what I'm usually after but this find was a pleasant surprise!

IMG_20211008_171149.jpg

Nice hunt, Compass! Too bad about the corrosion, that Franklin half has a lot of detail. Hope it cleans up nice. And 2 rings... Great haul. 👍 Where I am the brackish water would have eaten em up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Same in our lakes here guys! The hydrogen sulfide (and high temps) does a number on silver, and any other older coins! My oldest in fresh, tannin colored water, was a barely readable, 1935 Walking Half that was about half the weight and thickness of a regular one, and had a heavy black crust on it!👍👍

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

Same in our lakes here guys! The hydrogen sulfide (and high temps) does a number on silver, and any other older coins! My oldest in fresh, tannin colored water, was a barely readable, 1935 Walking Half that was about half the weight and thickness of a regular one, and had a heavy black crust on it!👍👍

Thanks Joe, Well, I learned something. I always thought that fresh water wouldn't be bad for silver but there are other factors at play.

• Like 1

Great hunt and very nice items, the half should clean up nicely.

Good luck on your next outing!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great hunt and very nice items, the half should clean up nicely.

Good luck on your next outing!

Thanks VL, I don't usually clean my crusty coins but this one is in such good shape that, I agree - should clean up nice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

We need a half dollar club , they're getting scarce !

First silver half I have found in years.

• Like 2

The class ring is an unusual type. Great find !

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2021 at 12:12 PM, F350Platinum said:

Nice hunt, Compass! Too bad about the corrosion, that Franklin half has a lot of detail. Hope it cleans up nice. And 2 rings... Great haul. 👍 Where I am the brackish water would have eaten em up.

Thanks F350, Well, I think it cleaned up pretty well! 

-4509811279654976487.jpg

• Like 5
  • Oh my! 1