Porcupine Village Maldon Victoria Australia

New owners are doing a lot of work to get this happening again. About ten minutes drive from my place.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good to hear from you Reg. 

Out of interest, is the location purely a 'from the ground up' build or is some/much of it a local historic township of years ago that has been added to?  

Interesting if it was a town of the gold rush era.  Probably be worth having a detect over with a VLF if the new owners were agreeable to it.  Could dig up some historical items that could be displayed there.  

Cheers  👍

Thank you for sharing the video Reg, I think it was very interesting.

I hope that I can watch some of the videos from there as they looked nice.

Hopefully they will show what the gold rush days were like.

This village was created by transporting old buildings from the gold rush era and locating them on the edge of a major shallow lead where the Eaglehawk lead meets the Porcupine lead. Nearby is the old dredge that worked the Porcupine lead. 

The village is very authentic in that the buildings are original even though they have been moved here. A wonderful film set.

• Like 4

I remember when it was up for sale late last year, 15 acres and 40 buildings or something for 1.7 million AUD, an absolute bargain I thought. 

Here's the news story when it was for sale, has good footage of the area too

Glad to hear the buyer is fixing it up and putting it to use.

• Like 2

Loved the Morricone  "Ecstasy of Gold" theme song they used. 

It should be our theme too...

But WHAT  !  NO  Eastwood ?

OK , if you hated the opera singer.....here's one from MY World !

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By GotAU?
      Saw this photo of a miner in Australia using pans to drywash, but is he trying to winnow for the gold?  Is this a real technique with pans? I know some ancient miners used to do it with blankets, but  this looks really messy and a good way to lose a lot of gold .  If it was a technique they used, I’d love to detect or sample that dirt pile underneath his pan.

• By karelian
      My first day out of Melbourne Australia for a long time was spent exploring Nuggetty Hills near Maldon in Victoria. Felt good to get some fresh country air.
      Rocky hilly terrain meant I used a drone to get a better view. The drone has proven itself a very useful tool, for prospecting and more. All the best.

• By geof_junk
      Riddle of the rainforest coin.   Ancient Egyptian visitors to Australia or miner's mishap?
                                                                       ....Link to Coin....
    • By KD0CAC
      Not too long ago one of the local TV channels started showing Aussie Gold show .
      What I started to notice almost every episode showed flat ground ?
      So wondering how that works , from my understanding of geology [ limited ] we need generally plate tectonics / movement , heat , pressure , mountains etc.
      So some guesses on my end , Australia has some of the oldest land masses , so all the high spots have worn-off ?    But then the river valleys do not seem to be there / deep ?
      Is that more of the coriolis effect  
      Hell I can't afford to get back to CA etc. , otherwise I would come down there to play 😉
    • By karelian
      As time goes on I  hope to see more videos of the Garrett 24k used all over the world. The 24k does seem to impress those who have used it. We can never have too much choice when it comes to machines. As good as the new GPX 6000 is on small gold I still believe there is room for a good VLF in the arsenal. All the best.