F2 Iron Bias Non Ferrous Targets

This was posted in an Iron Bias topic by Steve a year or so ago. I have no idea if it is really accurate:

IMG_2191.PNG

• Like 2

Jeff great write up. Your post is exactly why I never hunt in anything but F2 0 in my soil which is similar to yours. Except when I'm ghost town hunting in areas that are littered with bottle caps. Then I'll run it at 6 which knocks them out quite well.

When the F2 feature first came out Tom Dankowski advised everyone to run it at 4 rather than going straight to 0 because it was more aggressive than FE. Setting of 4 was supposed to be equal to 0 in FE if I recall. I quickly found out in the comparisons I was doing at relic sites that F2 4 was actually making targets sound like iron. But in FE 0 they sounded great. I think the comparison is more like FE 0 equals F2 3. So after that hunt I went straight to F2 0 and never looked back. As many know Tom lives in Florida so he was unaware of how soil mineralization effected deep targets in the West.

For the most part I learned early on that things like recovery speed, discrimination and iron bias/silencer settings can have a huge negative effect with metal detectors in my soil. And this is why a fair amount of detectors don't work well in my area. Recovery speed usually needs to be higher, On the Deus I prefer 3 or 4. Silencer on the Deus I run at -1 and disc at -6.4. I also prefer version 2.0 software to base most of my programs on because it has less filters. Similar settings also apply to the Equinox recover no lower than 4, iron bias F2 0, and horseshoe always on. It makes for a noisy hunt, most people probably couldn't handle it. But it works for me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm also trying to absorb all of this. 

Thx for posting folks !

I still consider myself a newb on the NOX. That old Radio Shack /Bounty Hunter didn't do too much to prepare me for a Nox upgrade... 

I switched to F2=0  most of the time soon after the update added it because of the discussions back then .  Experimenting with raising the # in the user slot for comparisons. Of course I have also forgotten to change F2 after doing resets too !

My newb is finally wearing off a bit but always read these type of posts to cement/replace my "forgotten clues" previously learned.  I didn't get nearly as much swing time this year as I was hoping,,,,the old life getting in the way thing again...........

Still digging "mostly" everything and it ain't over yet. Was in the 70s last two days here uptah camp  . 😎

• Like 3