Something Coming! Any Guesses?

Brushcreek

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Don't understand the basis for this statement.  IMO the its just the opposite on discrimination.

I understand Melano87’s statement but I don’t know if it is possible. All gold would have to have just one target ID number or some other unmistakably distinguishable characteristic that a VLF can detect and discriminate from aluminum. No VLF detector I know of can do that perfectly including the Deus. Certainly not XP’s fault. 

Speaking of gold, I guess I better find quite a lot of it so I can afford this mysterious new XP detector. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I understand Melano87’s statement but I don’t know if it is possible. All gold would have to have just one target ID number or some other unmistakably distinguishable characteristic that a VLF can detect and discriminate from aluminum. No VLF detector I know of can do that perfectly including the Deus. Certainly not XP’s fault. 

Speaking of gold, I guess I better find quite a lot of it so I can afford this mysterious new XP detector. 

Ok. When I think of discrimination I'm thinking ferrous or ferromagnetic target filter, nothing else.  The fact that gold is hard to distinguish from aluminum is just a cruel trick of physical fate coupled with the basic shortcoming of the induction balance principle for metal detection.  Not much any detector design using the IB principle can do about it.  But XP has gifted the Deus with some pretty expressive audio response, especially in pitch and full tones, that can tease out subtle audio queues which can help differentiate gold from junk aluminum targets in many cases.

• Like 1

Ok. When I think of discrimination I'm thinking ferrous or ferromagnetic target filter, nothing else.  The fact that gold is hard to distinguish from aluminum is just a cruel trick of physical fate coupled with the basic shortcoming of the induction balance principle for metal detection.  Not much any detector design using the IB principle can do about it.  But XP has gifted the Deus with some pretty expressive audio response, especially in pitch and full tones, that can tease out subtle audio queues which can help differentiate gold from junk aluminum targets in many cases.

With my Sovereign, I manage to « notch » the aluminium zip pers, aluminium balls, some pieces of alu without losing most of gold rings, gold coins.

With the Deus is impossible.

Make this # 30 in my private arsenal. Like the IMC I'm able to generate new arms to swing them. May change my fake name to Octitex.👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Melano87 said:

With my Sovereign, I manage to « notch » the aluminium zip pers, aluminium balls, some pieces of alu without losing most of gold rings, gold coins.

With the Deus is impossible.

Then why do you need this since you already have the perfect detector in the Sov?  Like I said above, audio clues on Deus help me differentiate between nice round nickels and gold rings vs. can slaw and bent tabs.  Things get dicey when the tabs are pristine and the slaw is flat and symmetic.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Then why do you need this since you already have the perfect detector in the Sov?  Like I said above, audio clues on Deus help me differentiate between nice round nickels and gold rings vs. can slaw and bent tabs.  Things get dicey when the tabs are pristine and the slaw is flat and rounded.

The Sovereign is not perfect, heavy, its recovery speed is long, poor reactivity. My Sovereign is mounted on the excellent Deus shaft.

I like to use multiple detector that changes.

Each detector has one or more strong points, the Deus is its reactivity, shaft, weight, wireless etc…

But I find it below in discrimination/notch than Minelab detectors.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, HotSauce said:

Not going to guess, its just not fun and most of the time its 99.9% inaccurate.

Yeah not everyone enjoys speculating I suppose, but I'm weird that way because that's what I think is one of the thing that is fun about forums, speculating on what might be and the anticipation of that.  I don't care if I'm wrong or inaccurate.  It doesn't cost anything, stimulates discussion, and perhaps sends a message to the manufacturers on what hard core detectorists want in a detector.  To that point...

40 minutes ago, Melano87 said:

The Sovereign is not perfect, heavy, its recovery speed is long, poor reactivity. My Sovereign is mounted on the excellent Deus shaft.

I like to use multiple detector that changes.

Each detector has one or more strong points, the Deus is its reactivity, shaft, weight, wireless etc…

But I find it below in discrimination/notch than Minelab detectors.

Great points, Melano, and that makes a great thread segue into what else people might want XP to include as features anticipating that it will be a MF detector - 

• I personally would like to see XP retain the Deus fully wireless ecosystem but provide a more elegant way to shift into a water friendly mode.  I like having the coil be wireless from the control box for most situations because it enables quick coil switching and allows you to place the control box where you think it is most convenient like on a vest or to tuck it away and just use the phones.
  • I would like it to retain the multiple single frequency feature.
  • I am hoping that MF improves Deus salt beach performance and Target ID at depth in mineralized soil.  If XP can make it competitive with Tarsacci in this regard, then we might actually have something to sit up and take notice.  Use of MF for better ferrous target filtering (along the lines of ML's Equinox iron bias feature) would also be good.
  • It would be great if XP would allow the user, as an advanced feature, to continuously or discretely adjust the MF frequency weighting in some manner and to enable adjustments in signal processing to be SEPARATE from frequency weighting adjustments (e.g., on Equinox adjustments in signal processing and weighting are adjusted together by shifting the search profiles/modes - Park/Field/Beach/Gold)
  • XP made some great tweaks to the user interface with Orx (pop up Target ID and iron probability bar) and I would like to see those migrate to the new detector as options if it is going to use a similar interface but also retain the Deus ability to cycle back and forth between the modes using the +/- buttons (which was not something the ORX was able to do). 
  • I like how Orx utilized the pinpoint button as a ground grab button for quick "auto" GB adjustment.  I think the XP implementation of pinpoint mode on Deus and Orx is cumbersome. A dedicated pinpoint trigger or toggle membrane would be more convenient rather than having to switch between buttons to get in and out of pinpoint mode.  XP should separate the non-motion mode switching menu from pinpoint mode.
  • XP needs to ditch their cumbersome and fragile coil charging clips in favor of something more robust and convenient.  Also, they need to update to USB C and the industry standard Power Delivery spec for charging their accessories.
  • Target Auto scoop and plug digging/finds pouch placing would also be welcome. 

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts in what I am looking for in the next XP detector.  Would like to hear what other people are looking for.

• Like 6

Yeah not everyone enjoys speculating I suppose, but I'm weird that way because that's what I think is one of the thing that is fun about forums, speculating on what might be and the anticipation of that.  I don't care if I'm wrong or inaccurate.  It doesn't cost anything, stimulates discussion, and perhaps sends a message to the manufacturers on what hard core detectorists want in a detector.  To that point...

Great points, Melano, and that makes a great thread segue into what else people might want XP to include as features anticipating that it will be a MF detector - 

• I personally would like to see XP retain the Deus fully wireless ecosystem but provide a more elegant way to shift into a water friendly mode.  I like having the coil be wireless from the control box for most situations because it enables quick coil switching and allows you to place the control box where you think it is most convenient like on a vest or to tuck it away and just use the phones.
  • I would like it to retain the multiple single frequency feature.
  • I am hoping that MF improves Deus salt beach performance and Target ID at depth in mineralized soil.  If XP can make it competitive with Tarsacci in this regard, then we might actually have something to sit up and take notice.  Use of MF for better ferrous target filtering (along the lines of ML's Equinox iron bias feature) would also be good.
  • It would be great if XP would allow the user, as an advanced feature, to continuously or discretely adjust the MF frequency weighting in some manner and to enable adjustments in signal processing to be SEPARATE from frequency weighting adjustments (e.g., on Equinox adjustments in signal processing and weighting are adjusted together by shifting the search profiles/modes - Park/Field/Beach/Gold)
  • XP made some great tweaks to the user interface with Orx (pop up Target ID and iron probability bar) and I would like to see those migrate to the new detector as options if it is going to use a similar interface but also retain the Deus ability to cycle back and forth between the modes using the +/- buttons (which was not something the ORX was able to do). 
  • I like how Orx utilized the pinpoint button as a ground grab button for quick "auto" GB adjustment.  I think the XP implementation of pinpoint mode on Deus and Orx is cumbersome. A dedicated pinpoint trigger or toggle membrane would be more convenient rather than having to switch between buttons to get in and out of pinpoint mode.  XP should separate the non-motion mode switching menu from pinpoint mode.
  • XP needs to ditch their cumbersome and fragile coil charging clips in favor of something more robust and convenient.  Also, they need to update to USB C and the industry standard Power Delivery spec for charging their accessories.
  • Target Auto scoop and plug digging/finds pouch placing would also be welcome. 

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts in what I am looking for in the next XP detector.  Would like to hear what other people are looking for.

I'd like to see all of the suggestions made by Chase.

While the odds are that the new offering won't be a simple matter of a new MF coil and an update for the current remote, that would be my preference. From the consumer's standpoint, that would be the most financially prudent option.

If XP is putting out an entirely new machine, I'd like to see the new remote be a bit larger and easier to read (without reading glasses). I'd love a color screen (to this date I still think the V3i screen is the best on the market).

I'd like to see the option to normalize VDI numbers at a frequency of the user's choice - mostly so the user could select a choice that allows for a larger spread (of the numbers) at the upper end of the scale.

I'd like to see an option similar to the analyze function found in the V3i pinpoint mode - where the strength of each frequency (for the target) is shown.

I'd like the new machine to be compatible with the W4 backphones, and the MI6 pinpointer.

I'd like the new machine to be compatible with the current coils.

I'd like the new remote to be very water/dust resistant (capable of withstanding heavy rain).

• Like 3