Who Has Had Issues With Their Gpx 6000?

It is quite clear that earlier this year they were aware of problems with the 6000 yet they kept selling them.They could have done a recall on whatever run of detectors that were faulty or find out where the problem was during the manufacturing process. But oh no, they chose to keep sending them out and worry about it later at the expense of the consumer. Apparently they need to step up their quality control program and I don't care what the demand was a good company doesn't do that. JMO

• Like 4

It especially sucks that Minelab's policy is that if you don't find out your detector is defective within 30 days, they want to repair it instead of replace it.  Unfortunately, for me it's about 45 days since I purchased the detector.  It was way too hot here in Arizona to get out and fully test it until recently when it cooled down. I am pushing for a replacement because I don't think they really know what is wrong with it and I don't want an underperforming broken seal "suspect" detector I just paid $6k for.  They know there are certain batches that have problems. Those need to be replaced not repaired.  We don't pay that kind of money for junk.

-Don

• Like 6

Great post Rob.  I'd like to add a little to this, if you don't mind.

Since Minelab USA has been short staffed for quite some time (many companies are) I also suggest you follow up the phone call with an email to them at service@minelabamericas.com 

When emailing Minelab and or calling them with any detector issue be sure to have the model of unit, serial # of the detector and date purchased as that info is required to get things going.

Note- It's most wise to assemble and test your detector (and coils) as soon as you get them.  Also make sure the chargers and headphones are taking charge.  Please don't try to operate the detector in the house or back yard.  You need to take the time to get away from all the EMI we are walking around.

I have always recommended those who purchase a detector from me Gerry's Detectors and have issues, I prefer you reach out to me 1st. That way, we can try to trouble shoot before reaching out to Minelab.  Sometimes it's something simple a newer customer is not aware of.

On occasion and it has happened more than once, I might be able to help.   If one of my customers is on a trip and their detector craps out, I have been known to get a loaner to them.  Sometimes it's the same model and then too it could be something even better.  Well known dealers such as Rob and I are supposed to keep a variety of detectors on hand.  Not saying we will be able to provide one every time, but if you never call us, we'll never know.

Back in the day when Minelab USA was more interactive with all the dealers, we used to have a yearly Conference.  Part of the event was to recognize those select dealers who went above and beyond for different  areas of this industry.  We were presented awards for our hard work, knowledge, sales growth, customer service and such.  I can assure you, Rob and I were and still are always at the top for Customer Service for our customers and many others.

Being that we both have stood the test of time in this industry and been with Minelab for over 20 yrs., you know we truly do care for most everyone who is swinging a Minelab detector.  Part of what separates us both from many of the others, is we are small focused detector dealers who enjoy being in the field and sharing our experiences and knowledge.  When you call our offices you don't get a secretary or middle man, you will be speaking with us, the owners of the business.  Yes it might be a day late on occasions (as we are out there learning new detectors and or educating our customers), but we will get back to you.

Wishing everyone a great experience with your detectors, no matter what brand and or model.  It's all about fun, finds and making memories with friends.

July07Michellea.JPG

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Hey Gerry,

Ya, great addition to the information I posted about warranty/repairs.  

The Minelab Dealers Conferences were great, especially when they were just US based for US dealers.  I wasn't a big fan of having the Conferences bunched up, International and US.  I felt like it took most of all the attention from the US dealers, that have their own issues and concerns.  

I have to give you a lot of credit, you are one of very few dealers that would honestly express your concerns with them in a public setting.  I can remember all the times you would let the big shots have it.  It always seemed like 90% of the dealers would talk a big game outside the conference doors, but once it was time to tell them our concerns, it was like "Crickets!" 

On another note, we both have won many "Customer Awards" from Minelab Americas, including the Customer Care Champion awards, which I still have 2 sitting on my desk.  That being said, I'm still chasing you for that "Eagle" Award, the highest award any dealers is awarded.  Congrats for sure!

Rob

• Like 5

As I said in my earlier post the returns I`ve had with Minelab detectors were 2 coils on the SD series,  otherwise I`ve never returned a detector for repairs since year one with Minelab, although my Zs due to have its screen replaced, over those 30 plus years from the original GS15000. Their current coil chip use sucks, their coils while rugged have never been great performers but their quality and performance of their detectors I have little complaints. I have ordered each new ML detector since the SD2100 just on my experience with them, long before reviews, I`m no doubt a ML early bird user simply because they have always come up with the weight. I love the 6K and because I`m a wee slow it did take a few ounces to really get it singing but that is so with all new gold detectors. Perhaps my next ML will be the lemon portrayed in this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 6000 is working just fine also, but that does not mean that many are not, and it does seem to be more than just a detector here and there. Issues in any new equipment are to be expected…. that’s why we have warranties. But there does seem to be more amiss with quality control on the 6000 than just the oddball unit.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=37305

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=37186

The 6000 is not a lemon per se, but it seems many individual units might be. It’s got me feeling kind of lucky mine has been purring along so well. It does suck, because a good running 6000 is a joy to use, and I hate seeing so many peoples day end up ruined by a bad out of box experience. It’s like opening a gift and finding a lump of coal. Again, this is not a $300 detector, but one of the most expensive consumer level detectors ever sold. That in itself sets the bar higher than might be the case with an inexpensive detector.

• Like 9

It's certainly an issue that seems more common with this release (GPX6000) than with other recent releases (GPZ, SDC 5k).

Thankfully in Australia Minelab service is still pretty quick & good. It has probably dropped off a little but I reckon it's still ok.

Minelab & Plexus Inc. really need to have a good look at this + why it's happening. It's too easy to just blame current world events IMO. Maybe Plexus have become too comfortable in their manufacturing contract & quality assurance + Minelab have taken their eyes off the ball a bit?

Hopefully it's sorted sooner rather than later cause I believe the 6k is truly a terrific detector that deserves better.

• Like 2

I guess I'm just lucky with detectors as my 6000 is working just fine, although it did take a couple of outings to christen it with three small colours. I can't recall having problems with any Minelab detector from the GS15000 onwards other than when I was testing prototypes. Prototype testing is essential for sorting out bugs, and manufacturers should undertake rigorous field testing before any machine is introduced to the buying public.

When I was testing the Australian built QED pulse induction detector the early versions were quite impressive, however the builder decided to produce a new model and put it on the market without testing. When I did finally receive the new machine it had more bugs than a Bangkok dormitory. The builder refused to accept that his baby was flawed and after a less that pleasant exchange we parted company. What could have been a good performing detector at a very competitive price turned out to be something less.

Thorough testing is imperative for avoiding product dissatisfaction.

• Like 9

I did have suspicion about the 6000 back in Jan thereabouts based upon issues I have heard about with the 7000. Overall the 7000 has proven to be a great detector. Heavy, limited-expensive coils, but it did have issues with some units, more often than I care to hear about. When I heard early on what the 6 can do, I thought I should give it a chance. What I was again of happening, happened with the detector I received. I am looking forward to swinging it and seeing for myself, it's strengths.