Who Has Had Issues With Their Gpx 6000?

I have yet found anything with the 6000, and hope to be able to use it properly. Even my Tracker IV has found more than the 6000 for me in a single day. I can see myself swinging the 6000 the same way that I do with my 800 or Tracker IV, but nothing shows up and I get no tones from it. I just wonder if I actually buy one of them would it help.

Valens L, is yours pretty quiet? Do you have a test nugget to test it on? Or a lead sinker. If it is overly quiet after noise cancel and ground balanced and not registering target tones then it has a problem. That is what mine did.

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

My 6000 is working just fine also, but that does not mean that many are not

I do actually wonder if a Geo-Sense programming bug is at fault, as it did occur with mine in remotest Alaska, where it is impossible it was man made EMI. A natural source, like aurora activity/ Perhaps, but feels more like something inherent in the machine. It also seems to vary by machine. Mine, it’sbasically a none issue for me except in rareinstance, easily tamed with the cancel button. But I consider the machine to be inherentlynoisy, like the SDC warble, and so discountwhat others might consider to me major. I’malso used to running machines very hot and noisy regardless, so maybe I’m not mentallyattuned to this as much as others might be. But I also suspect there are machines that are simply doing this more than others, or morelikely, areas where it really is EMI, like Arizona, where that seems more common thannorthern Nevada.

Steve,

I was wondering what is considered a normal amount of warble for the GPX6000’s threshold noise as I do not have another detector to compare mine to. Could you please clarify how often you have to use the noise cancel to stabilize the detector and if using it always calms the unstable or noisy threshold down. I am trying to find any solution to settling down the unstable threshold on mine as it seems to run a little bit unstable in the higher sensitivity levels especially when not using the headphones.

• Like 2

I bought one of the first GPX6000 that was available in South Australia - it has found gold in three states and has had a lot of use with no issues at all.

Same with the Equinox800 - that gets a real workout & in sea water as well - no issues - not even a cracked coil ear.

I must be just dumb lucky or Minelab double quality check any stock coming to their head office home state.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

I am looking forward to swinging it and seeing for myself, it's strengths.

Hopefully you get one with no issues this go around.  I'll admit, my 1st impression in 20 minutes was not good, but after a few more hours and then a couple more trips, we seemed to started talking and things started clicking.  You coming from a traditional PI (GPX-5000), I think you'll hear the EMI some folks complain about.  Just realize doing a Noise Cancel much more often is all it takes and things will be good.

Even though we may not agree on everything and we both sometimes type things before we think them out (yes I'm just as guilty), I do want you out there finding more gold with it.  There are some fabulous advantages and if you give it time, you'll learn them.  Good Luck.

• Like 2

Steve,

Thank You for the clarification on the warble and speaker feedback possibilities. I can now say my GPX6000 is running fine and cannot be compared to the GPX 5000 in regards to its rock solid threshold. I have also been able to hear through the excessive warble the majority of the time and also use the factory reset or noise cancel when it overwhelms me with excessive warble. The sensitivity is like no other detector that I have ever ran on the smaller placer gold sites. I’m also very pleased with its ability to use all the timings in conjunction simultaneously. 

I have found when using the external speaker while working in very hot ground (serpentinite) and using the lower sensitivity levels and lower volume levels it seems to lowers the amount of excessive warble. In some but not all situations the headphones do appear to help lower this excessive warble also. 

Hopefully these issues in the future can be fixed in the software or maybe a speaker replacement is necessary. 

Reminds me of when the the first GP Extreme models came out there was a similar issue in which was fully resolved by the time the GP 3000 was released and Minelab added the low-noise circuitry resulting in a smoother threshold.

Thank You again!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, NV-OR-ID-CAL-AU said:

I have found when using the external speaker while working in very hot ground (serpentinite) and using the lower sensitivity levels and lower volume levels it seems to lowers the amount of excessive warble. In some but not all situations the headphones do appear to help lower this excessive warble also. 

Yes to all the above.

The old Minelab warble used to freak me out a bit at times. My brain does lock to the threshold, and back when I was running my GP 3500 at Moore Creek for 12 hour days, weeks on end, I would hear the warble for hours after I shut the detector off. Like laying in my cot before I fell asleep, this continuous warble going on in my head, an echo and after effect of listening to it for long hours. I actually worried about what would happen if it never went away, as it was a bit maddening, like tinnitus but worse. I was relieved when the GPX series came along with that rock solid threshold, eliminating the issue for me. It's not reoccurred with the GPX 6000, as there is a difference in the tonal makeup of the warble, plus I'm not putting in those 12 hour days very often anymore.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So far, my GPX 6000 has been fine. The 11" mono is highly susceptible to EMI for sure. The 14" DD......I can run it in my backyard which is actually kind of nice since I can do plenty of testing especially on non-gold nugget targets. The threshold is definitely more lively than the usually very steady threshold I was used to on my 4800 and 5000. So far for me anyway, it has not been as annoying as the threshold on my former SDC 2300, and doing a sensitivity adjustment and lightening quick noise cancel on my GPX 6000 has helped so far when it gets a bit unstable.

When I have been prospecting and relic hunting with the GPX 6000 so far, I have also had an Equinox 800 with me. Anytime my GPX 6000 has gone "crazy" with very strong disturbances in the threshold that weren't target related and which a noise cancel with sensitivity adjustment could not correct, I have also turned on my Nox 800 in Gold 1 multi and checked for EMI. Some EMI has always been noticeable on both detectors simultaneously and I had them well away from each other and only one turned on at a time when testing for EMI, so I will chalk it up to that and not a GPX 6000 internal/software issue.

Those of you that have had broken/damaged/dead coils right out of the box, intermittent coil warning codes and intermittent power issues right out of the box......that is not okay and I hope you all are able to get these issues resolved to your satisfaction.

• Like 5

So far so good for me. No problems and finding gold. 

It does sound a bit warbely compared to the other GPXs but there is no question when there is a metallic target under the coil. Solid, repeatable signals.

• Like 3