Who Has Had Issues With Their Gpx 6000?

A consideration.... from watching Minelabs Detector Development over many years, We as consumers who want the best performance out of detectors should be very clear that the problems that we as users are having with a ML detector are in fact a problem and not user orientated, since the use of coil chips and subsequent discussions on this forum, I believe ML are in some ways dumbing their detectors/coils down as an attempt to make them more user friendly. If you mainly want performance above all else I suggest if you are having trouble with a ML detector and it is possible for you to firstly discuss such with dealer/someone you know is not having problems, please ensure your problem is not in your use.

Steve H on this the Premier World Detecting Forum has clearly from his first review shown the GPX6000 is a "magic" detector, there is no endorsement better then that in this world, also DP has had many other experienced operators endorse the GPX 6000. Sure there is plenty of negative opinions out there on social media, always has been, always will be.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Norvic said:

Steve H on this the Premier World Detecting Forum has clearly from his first review shown the GPX6000 is a "magic" detector, there is no endorsement better then that in this world, also DP has had many other experienced operators endorse the GPX 6000. Sure there is plenty of negative opinions out there on social media, always has been, always will be.

Well said, Norvic. Having used the 6000 for quite some time now I can say that this detector is without doubt the most sophisticated but yet easy to use detector I have ever come across. I don't question that some unfortunate users have problems due to technical issues with the detector itself. However, I also speculate that some users are not operating the detector correctly, or are in environments where the detector is challenged to begin with, in particular when using the 11 or 17 mono coils. The enormous sensitivity of the technology comes at a price and you need to be fully aware of that. Strict coil control, slow swing speed, not changing coil height while swinging, avoiding bumps, frequent noise cancel and every now and then factory resets work all great for me in concert to avoid most of the issues that I have heard on the forum. I even can live with the bit EMI that the speaker is producing, although I often use the BT headset anyway. Just like Steve said I can hear through EMI pretty well for the most part, unless it really gets too crazy. But this is not different to the SDC or 7000 where you also need to learn how to listed through threshold chatter. SDC users know this very well and so do all the HY/normal/smoothing off users out there. It is always said that the 6000 is great for beginners who want a high end machine. I totally agree with that. But I also believe that it actually takes some experience to "calm down" or trouble shoot the 6000 in case it runs unstable, something new users might not be very familiar with.

GC

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Back on topic, as a dealer I too have seen a worrying amount of problematic 6000s, there have been way too many coil failures and DOA units for my liking, far more than the 7000 release for sure. I honestly think COVID has put a wrecking ball through MLs QC, someone in the factory is supposed to be checking all this and obviously isn’t for whatever reason, I feel sorry for the guy at ML HQ who has the job of trying to sort this stuff out. 

JP

I felt really bad when mine was DOA. I thought everyone was going to think I was crazy 😄, as Minelab is a much better company than that. But things do happen, and unfortunately even the biggest companies can not control quality like in the old days.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

I feel sorry for the guy at ML HQ who has the job of trying to sort this stuff out. 

Takes a guy with the right mindset. I’d love the challenge. An opportunity to make a real difference in the company.  First step: send 20+ units to the US and have them returned for QA.

Running zero threshold is always going to miss gold no matter how you set it up, if the dead zone is adjusted too high/low (its a timeywhimey thing (DR WHO fan 😂)) then the break through becomes a major issue with the operator constantly being alerted to breakthrough target like signals which gets away from the whole concept. 

The 6000 has a massive amount of headroom sensitivity wise, if a target is within sensible range of the coil then the zero threshold option will bang on it, however if the targets are getting to the edge of detection depth then the signal response will not make it through the filtering. 

I do not advise using zero threshold in the Manual modes, Minelab engineers put a lot of thought and design into the Auto modes so there is a lot more going on under the hood than just turning the Threshold off. I have not had time to watch the YouTube vid sorry will do that later today if I’m no it too whacked form detecting in 39 degree heat. 😞 

JP

• Like 6

20 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I felt really bad when mine was DOA. I thought everyone was going to think I was crazy 😄, as Minelab is a much better company than that. But things do happen, and unfortunately even the biggest companies can not control quality like in the old days.

Minelab still is that “much better company” they often go above and beyond on repairs and getting things sorted for people, even in some cases long after the warranty has expired. Every issue we’ve seen in our store since the 6000’s came out has been addressed promptly, so don’t think for a second Minelab have slackened off other than it’s a brand new detector release in the middle of a world pandemic. There are always gremlins with any new detector as the factory irons out the manufacturing processes, and as usual Minelab will be there for its customers if problems arise. 

The GPX6000 is still going to become an all time favourite that has set the bar for every other detector that follows, its universal ease of use and outright performance is beyond compare. I spent 4 years of my life doing my little bit to help as best I could to ensure that it was as easy to use as possible for just about anyone regardless of their experience, the power packed behind that light weight simplicity still amazes me. 

JP

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

My 6 has been working as it should and last hunt a few days ago the wind was blowing so I broke out the corded Sennhauser phones and finished off the day cleaning up on some re-hunts I've re-re-hunted many times.  After about 1.5hrs with the phones I "thought" maybe the 6 ran smoother with less emi issues I normally experience in my area???  Today was all cleanup again but today I used the phones for my entire hunt.  All the talk here on the forum about emi possibly related to the speaker seems to be spot on.  My 6 has never run quite this stable...ever and I didn't even do any noise cancels or re-sets today, not a one.

Oh yeah....that 6 is definitely the "Super 6 Vaccume" and my last few cleanup work hunts has produced quite a few grams of "bonus" gold missed the first few go-rounds.  I'm impressed....

PS...almost forgot..  Had some emi today from aircraft while using the phones but not anywhere near as annoying as when using the speaker and I was able to work right through the airplane emi.....

Thanks again everybody for the info and tips....they definitely help!!!!!

Keep on diggin....!!!!!!

• Like 5

Wow, this really is a great thread of wisdom.....as someone who is still trying to save enuff $$ and gold to get myself a 6000, I am definitely going to fully test the detector as soon as I get it from the dealer for a couple hours prior to heading home now.... The experience of buying an expensive detector and using it for the 1st time with great anticipation of success....only to find its an unusable 'dud' is something akin to a horror movie to me! But, I've just clocked up 40 years as a detectorist and owned over 35 detectors without this ever happening..... and 12 of them have been ML machines with zero failures BTW. I just hope that my next new 'toy' wont be the first.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...