Who Has Had Issues With Their Gpx 6000?

15 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

..........I do not use the speaker nor the ML Bluetooth, but use the Quest Mate WiFi system and Bose noise cancelling earbuds or the Bauhn n/c headphones. This set up works for me and gives me a great stable machine.

Reg where do you mount the Quest Tx unit?

16 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

Well my luck still holds out.

When I bought my GPZ (one of the first cabs off the rank) my machine was perfect and paid for itself within a couple of weeks, my best find being a 27oz lump found a couple of years later.

Upon cranking up the 6000 it also purred like a kitten finding gold within hours of use. No EMI problems at all that I was expecting to occur due to reports that I had read. Now after using it for a couple of months I feel more familiar with the settings. So far no bigger gold, but boy oh boy is it dynamite on small colours, and so light and well balanced. In a few months when our hot Aussie summer wanes I shall really give it some work.

I do not use the speaker nor the ML Bluetooth, but use the Quest Mate WiFi system and Bose noise cancelling earbuds or the Bauhn n/c headphones. This set up works for me and gives me a great stable machine. Can't believe how deep some of the very small targets are.

Good to see you posting again Reg, I missed you. :smile: Happy New Year, and may your pockets fill with gold in 2022!

Thankfully my 6000 has not had any issues. Good luck to those that have had problems. 

Hi Jonathan, all the best for the next detecting season when the weather cools off.

I have mounted the Quest Tx on the arm cuff as far from the electronics as possible. No discernible interference and the WiFi sound is very good. The Rx has the added advantage of volume control. Bauhn have  Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones, but lack volume. They can also be used with cable or the Quest Rx unit which solves the volume problem, but not much point in paying more for this unit when the cheaper non Bluetooth unit is fine when matched to the Quest system.

• Like 1

Minelab deserves a little heat on this one, and something tells me they can handle it just fine. Laughing all the way to the bank no doubt, as usual. As long as they deliver the performance edge, and they do without a doubt, they will remain the market leader. They can put spikes in the armrest so you have to bleed while using them, and if they bring home the gold, people will buy them.

• Like 5

I'd like to know the percentage of failures of the GPX 6000, I'm sure it's quite low with how many appear to be in peoples hands.  Those with a fault scream from the hilltops so you know the faults exist, those that are content and happy with the product you rarely hear from.  It is abnormally higher than you'd expect but I doubt it's as bad as it may sound.

While the faults are real they haven't put people off the detector, it's selling in great numbers and very few people regret their purchase, most are extremely happy with it and many who own it have owned the other high end detectors so their expectations were very high and it's obviously met or exceeded those expectations.  The GPX 6000 didn't just have to satisfy the new to detecting market with little to no expectations of how it should perform, it's not really in the market they purchase in, it had to please the seasoned high end detector buyers and it has done just that.  Those that get faulty ones get the faults sorted out under warranty then they get to use it and find out what a great detector it is and many have come out saying how happy they are once they get a working one showing their recent gold finds with it.  One thing I've noticed the people that have had the faulty units are not the ones bagging out the detector.

Minelab would be just as annoyed with every faulty detector as the owner of the detector is, they lose money and reputation every time it happens.  I have had to warranty various Minelab detectors and have nothing but absolute positive comments to say about their warranty service, yes of course I was disappointed my products failed but I couldn't be happier with how the failures were handled, flawless. 

I will admit I was put off getting one early due to the faults, and am in no rush to get one after comparing it to what I've got, but I still would love to own one and may end up doing so, especially once they've had time to sort the issues.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

Jeff McClendon, I am hoping that the QED that you purchased is the PL3 which was a good unit for the price. I am no longer involved with QED as I had a major falling out with the builder who insisted on putting the PL4 on the market without any testing. The new model was, in my opinion, inferior to the PL3 and after voicing my thoughts I was dismissed as a dealer.

Thanks Reg. 

I really enjoyed using the QED PL3 I owned for about a year. Nice detector. Difficult to ground balance in North American high magnetite iron mineralization.  Also, it was shipped to North America without being adjusted for our 60 Hz electrical system so EMI was hard to control......sounds familiar concerning the GPX 6000. How a mistake like that can happen is beyond me. I was told to just not use it near urban areas which happens to be where I live and often relic detect. Many of my prospecting sites are near big power lines too. Oh well.

I was an early owner of the GPX 6000. Like I mentioned above, I was turned off by its hyper sensitivity to US EMI using its mono coils. I was extremely impressed with the 14" DD coil and the seamless way the GPX 6000 could switch between mono and DD coils. I sold mine and regretted it. I picked up a used one recently for an incredible price that came with several extras. It behaves exactly the same as the first one. I will just patiently wait for a smaller DD coil from Coiltek.......hopefully.....please!!!!!

Jeff, I don't know why there have been complaints about the EMI in regard to the 6000. Is it just the USA or other parts of the world as well? Mine purrs like a kitten, but it has been suggested that perhaps it is the audio system that I use. Is the speaker the problem, or maybe the Bluetooth, neither of which I use. 

It has been suggested that I am just lucky. Maybe, but it seems unlikely.

I’m not having EMI issues outside the norm in Nevada and  California at least. More like the GeoSense programming loses its train of thought for a bit, detector audio goes nutty, and it takes a couple resets to get it stable again. And even then it’s more like SDC stable, not GPX 5000 stable. I’d not say mine purrs like a kitten, more like spits like a cat! Whatever, it darn well finds the gold.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Reg Wilson said:

Jeff, I don't know why there have been complaints about the EMI in regard to the 6000. Is it just the USA or other parts of the world as well? Mine purrs like a kitten, but it has been suggested that perhaps it is the audio system that I use. Is the speaker the problem, or maybe the Bluetooth, neither of which I use. 

It has been suggested that I am just lucky. Maybe, but it seems unlikely.

Reg, I have never used the GPX 6000 external speaker while detecting. I have used and really enjoyed the new model Minelab Bluetooth headphones. My GPX 6000 with the 14" DD coil works fantastic even in my backyard which has my neighbors 70 foot shortwave radio tower to contend with along with a crowded suburb full of Wi-Fi. The 11" mono.......I stepped it off recently........I could not get within 1000 feet of a big power line at a prospecting site. My former SDC 2300 had similar issues. I was able to get inside 100 feet with my GPX 5000 using its 11" Commander Mono using the mono setting. The GPX 6000 with the 14" DD coil, I could walk right under the power lines......go figure.

• Like 2