Who Has Had Issues With Their Gpx 6000?

Tossing your scoop discards willy nilly into the never never is a bad practice. I have always just placed mine in a careful pile beside the dig/scrape, so if what happens as is being discussed here one can go back to the "waste" pile for reevaluation if they have inadvertently "chucked" out the item that was the cause of the signal. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, dig4gold said:

Tossing your scoop discards willy nilly into the never never is a bad practice. I have always just placed mine in a careful pile beside the dig/scrape, so if what happens as is being discased here one can go back to the "waste" pile for reevaluation if they have inadvertently "chucked" out the the item that was the cause of the signal. 

Was just adding a bit of relatable humour, chances are I’ve dug a nugget or two over the years!! 😣 It’s always interesting to see the people who ‘like’ your ZINGERS.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

If possible you should always run the target at direct right angles to the windings not along the windings to let the coil see the whole target relative to movement etc.

That's really good advice!

• Like 3

I spent around 20 mins retrieving this bit, lost it at least 3 times, put it down to bad procedure on my part but also think it maybe has something to do with the size of bits this thing (6K) is capable of detecting.

20220418_202701[1].jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

With little nuggets like that 0.03 of a gram above the secret to recovery I think is knowing the hot spots on your coil and only using them to waive the scoop over when recovering small targets, while I'm not versed on the GPX yet the GPZ has very obvious hot spots on it's coils and most of the different size and type of coils are different with their hot spots locations which I always take advantage of when recovering targets, get a tiny shot pellet like a #9 lead and work out the hot spots, you'll benefit greatly from it, I have no trouble at all recovering a 0.03 of a gram nugget, it's a quick simple process when you use those hot spots.  The bigger the target response is the easier it is though, and with the GPX being quite noisy and having the disappearing targets like mentioned above I may find it a lot more difficult with the GPX than I do with the GPZ.

Has anyone noticed this area circled in red in the manual of the GPX 6000?

I was reading the manual, and re-reading the manual as I pick up my GPX today and stumbled across it, that leaves them wide open to fixing the twisting shaft and speaker EMI thing (if it is indeed a problem) on newer detectors with early adopters being left out.  I hope mine has at least the shaft twisting fixed being a newer one.

309184717_GPXmanualscreenshot.thumb.jpg.0d14660e8eec2bbc8c6fe1a20f85d545.jpg

• Like 1

For recovery of small nuggets I prefer using the "old" method of picking up the dug out dirt 9by hand or scoop) you have using your coil edge with coil near vertical with ground (mono especially but CC, DD or DOD also) to ensure it has  the gold in it and placing this on top of coil tis a simple matter of moving this around with a finger near coil edge, to locate the the scrap, works quickly and efficiently for those 100 or so pieces to the ounce size that are our bread and butter, tis an ability I`ve found you acquire through practice that speeds up the process. This all assumes you`ve centered and dug out the nugget with a method such as JP has posted of above.

• Like 1

After checking with a magnet, you could always pinpoint what comes up in your scoop with. a Falcon MD… it ‘might’ be sensitive enough to pick up what a 6000 does!😉

• Like 1

Very easy to miss a target in a scoop regardless of detector or coil. Many years ago I got into the practise of not throwing out your 'barren' spoils, but putting them back in the hole, or on a pile next to the hole. I still get excited from time to time though and Murphy's Law gets ya! A grown slightly overweight man on his knees with some plastic contraption trying to find a 0.fly fart piece of gold must be a sight for those horse riders passing by 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, phrunt said:

With little nuggets like that 0.03 of a gram above the secret to recovery I think is knowing the hot spots on your coil and only using them to waive the scoop over when recovering small targets, while I'm not versed on the GPX yet the GPZ has very obvious hot spots on it's coils and most of the different size and type of coils are different with their hot spots locations which I always take advantage of when recovering targets, get a tiny shot pellet like a #9 lead and work out the hot spots, you'll benefit greatly from it, I have no trouble at all recovering a 0.03 of a gram nugget, it's a quick simple process when you use those hot spots.  The bigger the target response is the easier it is though, and with the GPX being quite noisy and having the disappearing targets like mentioned above I may find it a lot more difficult with the GPX than I do with the GPZ.

Has anyone noticed this area circled in red in the manual of the GPX 6000?

I was reading the manual, and re-reading the manual as I pick up my GPX today and stumbled across it, that leaves them wide open to fixing the twisting shaft and speaker EMI thing (if it is indeed a problem) on newer detectors with early adopters being left out.  I hope mine has at least the shaft twisting fixed being a newer one.

309184717_GPXmanualscreenshot.thumb.jpg.0d14660e8eec2bbc8c6fe1a20f85d545.jpg

I can’t for the life of me work what you mean by hotspot? I have NEVER found one, sure I’ve emulated them by not passing the target consistently/correctly across the coil winding but an actual receive section that’s hotter than another I’d actually go so far as to say is a myth.

39 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

I can’t for the life of me work what you mean by hotspot? I have NEVER found one, sure I’ve emulated them by not passing the target consistently/correctly across the coil winding but an actual receive section that’s hotter than another I’d actually go so far as to say is a myth.

I don't know what you would call it but the Nugget Finder Z-Search in particular has very obvious hot spots on the coil....  Other coils do too, just not as obvious as this coil does.  When recovering targets with the Z-search especially small ones it makes sense to take advantage of those hot areas on the coil.  As I said I don't know about the GPX 6000, I just picked mine up today.