Who Has Had Issues With Their Gpx 6000?

53 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I don't know what you would call it but the Nugget Finder Z-Search in particular has very obvious hot spots on the coil....  Other coils do too, just not as obvious as this coil does.  When recovering targets with the Z-search especially small ones it makes sense to take advantage of those hot areas on the coil.  As I said I don't know about the GPX 6000, I just picked mine up today.

You have to think logically about this for a second, it’s not logical a coil can generate a stronger signal on one section of the receive over another, all things being equal the coil either works or it doesn’t. However it is possible to get a differing response if the target is presented to said winding inconsistently through a differing direction or restriction from the mouldings.

With the video it makes sense you are getting differing results because the top of the coil has raised ridges to allow for the winding heights relative to each other to help cut down on weight etc, therefore the target will be presented to the receive inconsistently. It would be much better to do the test on the bottom of the coil to avoid discrepancies in results. Obviously this is not how people will be retrieving targets so access to a good location where the receive winding is accessible is important. I have minimal issues retrieving tiny nuggets with the Z search coils.

I do the test on the bottom of the coil in the later part of the video.

24 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I do the test on the bottom of the coil in the later part of the video.

42 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

……….it is possible to get a differing response if the target is presented to said winding inconsistently through a differing direction or restriction from the mouldings.

36 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

……….it is possible to get a differing response if the target is presented to said winding inconsistently through a differing direction or restriction from the mouldings.

The hot spot is more likely to be generated due to the TX coil, which shows up with elliptical coils where the winding at the pointy end the field is more concentrate. Another source could be the coil shielding has variation in thickness. In a perfect round coil (mono) or concentric that is held perfect horizontal to the target it's hot spot should be dead centre but a DD or DOD perfect alignment is extremely hard to get. That just my view.

• Like 2

Thanks for your information JP and Geof, either way, all I'm saying is those ridges are hotter than the rest of the coil, so it makes sense to use them in small target recovery.  I've noticed similar traits in other coils.  I'm not concerned why or how they exist, but they do exist.  I've noticed many people have worked it out, a lot of people are using the ridges when they show target recoveries on their videos.

Anyway, we're veering off track, this is about issues with the GPX 6000, which I possibly have one already.

I charged my detector and headphones overnight for their first ever charge cycle being brand new, the morning has come and the red light on the headphones has stopped blinking slowly like it was, it's now blinking red and blue, it never went solid like I expected it would.  So are my headphones duds or is this normal.

It turns out my headphones likely have a problem but I couldn't care less I was never going to use them, the detector itself is also a DOA. 

• Like 3

Agree 100%, hotspots exist with certain non-symmetric coils or like Geoff said, with ellipticals. They might exist on mono coils too depending how accurate and consistent the windings are, or if certain components are included inside the coil unsymmetrically.

Also, there is a potential that multiple different constructive/destructive interference patterns (and thus hotspots) could exist with non symmetric coils at different distances from the coil as well depending on coil construction, design, geometry, etc.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I got my first 6k error today. The warning sign was lit and there was a constant tone. Power button did not respond, so I had to pull the battery out, that fixed it. Thus far, it happened only once.

GC

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh my! 2

1 minute ago, Gold Catcher said:

I got my first 6k error today. The warning sign was lit and there was a constant tone. Power button did not respond, so I had to pull the battery out, that fixed it. Thus far, it happened only once.

GC

That's the issue mine had from new, initially it wouldn't turn on, tapping it resolved that which I suspect was the battery pins being stuck inside the detector which is common it seems, but the second problem I had was that error and pulling the battery was the only way to turn it off too.  This problem seems intermittent as it comes and goes, mine did it a few times at the start, then once a few days later and it didn't happen again after that for some time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting to read comments about quality issues with the GPX6000 - i have had mine for over a year now and have used it extensively in Victoria , South Australia and New South Wales with not one quality issue or any issues using it - i have never seen the error message. Maybe mine being from the first production batch had more production quality inspections - nothing worse for a company than a new product release following by an avalanche of quality issues.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, VicR said:

Interesting to read comments about quality issues with the GPX6000 - i have had mine for over a year now and have used it extensively in Victoria , South Australia and New South Wales with not one quality issue or any issues using it - i have never seen the error message. Maybe mine being from the first production batch had more production quality inspections - nothing worse for a company than a new product release following by an avalanche of quality issues.

I may have already said this but like the above post....mine was also from the first batch to hit the US and zero problems after one year of use and 100+ nuggs.  I parted with mine for personal reasons (too wild for my tastes) but no quality or performance issues outside of the wild threshold.....

• Like 3