Who Has Had Issues With Their Gpx 6000?

Just now, oneguy said:

I may have already said this but like the above post....mine was also from the first batch to hit the US and zero problems after one year of use and 100+ nuggs.  I parted with mine for personal reasons (too wild for my tastes) but no quality or performance issues outside of the wild threshold.....

Interesting comments guys! My GPZ is from from the very first batch and I have had zero issues in over 7 years and thousands of hours of use, including in the harsh WA outback.

Maybe Minelab put a bit of effort into QC at the start of a new model and then it falls away ?

Rick

• Like 3

I'd guess its more a electronics component manufacturer supplying less than optimal parts or they've had to change brands of component due to supply issues, anything like this would be a nightmare for a company assembling PCB's, no matter how much testing you did prior to the component change it all goes out the window when any part is changed, do they start testing all over again or keep the production line rolling along and hope for the best? I'd say the latter is the most realistic.  A little 10 cent component could cause the problems we're seeing with the random explanation mark error or any of the electronic problems.

We used to do it with computers all the time, parts become scarce or the price increases on them so you source other components to replace them, all the hours of testing you'd done previously for compatibility and stability means nothing if you change any part out.  With the pandemic and supply chain issues part sourcing can't be easy so substitution just has to be done if there are supply problems.  I actually feel bad for Minelab with what's happened with the quality of the GPX, of course what's happened wasn't intentional and it's tarnished their name significantly and with every new model now people will question it's quality.   

The shaft thing is beyond belief that managed to survive all the quality control tests, but the electronics I can understand.  I was happy with my shaft the first times using it, it didn't take long for it to start to twist,  I was using my detector to push down grass and being forceful with it like I am with my others detectors, but that's what quality control should be all about, pushing it beyond it's limits and seeing if it's of an acceptable standard before releasing it so they don't really have an excuse for that one.  JW said he's improved his shaft twisting with some sand paper, I could give that a try it it gets too much of a problem.  I'm sure there will be aftermarket fixes for it though eventually.  You would think the people involved with designing the shaft would be stressing it and forcing it and giving it a good workout to see its acceptable.

I don't know if you've seen this but in Ikea stores they often have a chair testing machine showing how they test their chairs for quality, it simulates someone sitting on the chair thousands of times to ensure it's up to scratch and this is for a $20 chair, not a $6000 USD detector.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, VicR said:

Maybe mine being from the first production batch had more production quality inspections - nothing worse for a company than a new product release following by an avalanche of quality issues.

Mine was first US batch (first 10 to arrive). Only had the error message once thus far. No big deal.

GC

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 2

I also have an early one in the US and never had any electronic issues. Runs like a champ.

Of course the shafts are pretty lousy.  Maybe a spring pin could be added like the old gpx shafts had?

• Like 2

On 10/21/2021 at 9:24 PM, Jonathan Porter said:

Minelab still is that “much better company” they often go above and beyond on repairs and getting things sorted for people, even in some cases long after the warranty has expired. Every issue we’ve seen in our store since the 6000’s came out has been addressed promptly, so don’t think for a second Minelab have slackened off other than it’s a brand new detector release in the middle of a world pandemic. There are always gremlins with any new detector as the factory irons out the manufacturing processes, and as usual Minelab will be there for its customers if problems arise. 

The GPX6000 is still going to become an all time favourite that has set the bar for every other detector that follows, its universal ease of use and outright performance is beyond compare. I spent 4 years of my life doing my little bit to help as best I could to ensure that it was as easy to use as possible for just about anyone regardless of their experience, the power packed behind that light weight simplicity still amazes me. 

JP

Gotta agree J.P. the 6000 is an amazing detector but its quality control is atrocious.I've had to return 2 11in coils,the 17in lasted 5 minutes as well as 2 batteries and the detector had to go back as well.But despite all that its finding lots of gold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
  • Oh my! 2

Shows what we've got to look forward to when the warranty runs about, a disposable detector.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

Shows what we've got to look forward to when the warranty runs about, a disposable detector.

What we've actually got to look forward to is a constant stream of Phrunt commentary on the subject, 3 years of it!!!!. 😱🤷‍♂️ 🤯

Minelab stand by their products, that is a certainty! I've never seen another company back their gear like ML do. Not trying to say there is no problem because there clearly is, however in our shop experience Minelab are addressing the ones that do pop up very quickly and I can also say, as much as a certain voiciferous commentator on this forum would like you to believe, it's not as bad as is being made out! Undesirable? Absolutely yes, but in our shops experience not the huge issue trying to be portrayed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Aye JP Phrunts a young fella to you as you are a young fella to me. I`m hanging around purposely as long as to remind you of this 😉

• Haha 4

Had our detector club meeting last night in Adelaide , South Australia.  Five members have a 6000 (most have purchased it in the last 6 months). So i took the time to ask if any one had any quality issues with their machine. Not one issue or complaint was the reply and not one person has seen a error message yet. I also asked about the shaft and everyone seemed ok with it - just a recommendation to take the shaft  apart and clean it up if you are having problems locking it.

This is just a observation of a very small sample size and I am not doubting the people who are having issues which must be very frustrating when you have spent so much of your hard earned on a new machine but it just makes me wonder how big a problem this quality issue is.

• Like 3

All I can add is I've owned 5 Minelabs (6000,5000, goldmonster, etrac, and an SDC and NO ISSUES whatsoever outside of personal ones.....  Will most likely own future Minelabs......  

Scuze me.....  I had faulty headphones that came with the SDC, Minelab quickly replaced.

• Like 3