Who Has Had Issues With Their Gpx 6000?

Hi all, first time posting. I’ll make it quick. 
 #1 fifth time out 11” coil dead. #2 under 100hrs (well under I think?) the second 11” died. #3 I was talked into the speaker upgrade/repair against my will as I only use headphones.  Dropped off a working machine and 3 weeks later after multiple phone calls was told everything good come and pick up your detector. Get there and told we had to send your detector off to minelab because 2x bad  11” coils was not right?? 4 weeks without an $8000 detector and getting the run around?? Starting to wonder if this was a good purchase for a part time hobby!!

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Todd Maclean said:

Starting to wonder if this was a good purchase for a part time hobby!!

Sorry to hear that Todd, they really screwed up delivering a quality product with the 6000 but once you get a good working one it is a fantastic detector.  The EMI fix is worth it even if you use only headphones, why have a $8000 detector with a fault? Plus some have reported it improves stability even when using headphones. 

The service agent seems like they're giving you the run around though and it's pretty poor form of them.  My turnaround for my EMI repair was the next day.  I suspect they found something more wrong with yours and have now sent it to Minelab for repair.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Todd Maclean said:

I have multiple minelab products with no issues and would hate to think somehow this 6000 was a mistake. 

The 11" coils have had their fair share of issues, it's not abnormal to need them replaced more than once, they have improved the plastic as people were getting cracking on the ears and the coil itself.  The coils themselves have had faults causing coil errors/shutdown and general instability, I've only had mine replaced once but I've basically stopped using it and went with aftermarket coils instead, both Coiltek and Nugget Finder are making coils for it, and I trust them both to be more reliable than the standard coils.  I just leave my Coiltek 10x5" on mine full time now, I have the Coiltek 14x9" but I find it not sensitive enough and worse than the 11" for sensitivity so I don't really use it.   It's pretty crappy you have to buy an aftermarket coil to trust your coil though as the 11" is a really sensitive coil when it works well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I've only had mine replaced once but I've basically stopped using it and went with aftermarket coils instead

What makes me mad with Minelab coils is I have to buy their coils with each detector even when I know it will remain unused, as my choice of detecting does not favour the most general ML size coil. Most of the committed prospectors over the "Minelab era" that I have known had to pay for a ML coil that they did not want and the resale of them is very low as most customers have one also sitting unused. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

What makes me mad with Minelab coils is I have to buy their coils with each detector even when I know it will remain unused, as my choice of detecting does not favour the most general ML size coil. Most of the committed prospectors over the "Minelab era" that I have known had to pay for a ML coil that they did not want and the resale of them is very low as most customers have one also sitting unused. 

Too true, I don't ever use my GPZ Minelab coils, both my 19" and 14" coils are basically new just used them to test if I wanted to use them, My GPX 4500/5000 Minelab coils are still basically brand new and as found out quickly I didn't want to use them 🙂  My 6000 coils are now closet queens, except the DD as I need it for it's EMI handling sometimes, If I had an option to buy my detectors with no coils I'd certainly do it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Too true, I don't ever use my GPZ Minelab coils, both my 19" and 14" coils are basically new just used them to test if I wanted to use them, My GPX 4500/5000 Minelab coils are still basically brand new and as found out quickly I didn't want to use them 🙂  My 6000 coils are now closet queens, except the DD as I need it for it's EMI handling sometimes, If I had an option to buy my detectors with no coils I'd certainly do it.

At least Simon the GPZ coils can be sold to make a patch coil, if they don't trust damaging their own coil.😜

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, geof_junk said:

At least Simon the GPZ coils can be sold to make a patch coil, if they don't trust damaging their own coil.😜

That's the great thing about the GPZ 19" coil, most hold no value in it and sell them very cheap and you can buy it to make adapters out of 🙂   I have two 19" coils, although both have had the snip.  I kept my 14" coil original in case I wanted to get rid of my GPZ someday, in hindsight I should have cut it and not bothered with the 19" coils as I'm never getting rid of my GPZ, it's my favourite detector.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

“… The coils themselves have had faults causing coil errors/shutdown…”

-Simon, shutdowns?  I had my original 11” replaced for ear cracking, but noticed my detector turn off and restart by itself occasionally with the new 11”.  Is this what you meant?  I thought perhaps it was a loose connector or something like that because it so seldomly happened.  I guess I should inquire about getting it replaced under warranty again? Do you know where the reports came from about this issue?

-Anthony 

GotAU

What you just said about your detector turning off and on was the big problem with the 2300 when they came out. The problem was the C batteries was a loose fit and when the batteries loss contact it would go off then back on again. The thing that corrected the problem right away was a business card push down beside the batteries and that filled up the extra space.

Who knows maybe your battery in your 6000 has a problem like the 2300. 
Chuck 

PS When you snap your battery back into the contacts they may not be top quality and not a tight fit when you first got it. 

• Thanks 1